Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eating at SP

Re: Eating at SP

Buying food in a supermarket, bringing food with me, or driving to a restaurant are not options for us - we arrive by plane and train and walk from the station. Its cook what you can buy in the on site shop or try to arrange taxis to go off site somewhere. With a group of 9 or 10 usually enjoying dinner as the 'catch up' time eating in the onsite restaurant works.

I also don't want to take 3 hours going off site to eat when I could be using that time to dance/rest in preparation for dancing.

Re: How many Southports have you attended?

Sometimes one must make sacrifices in the selfless pursuit of truth. So let's hear it for those stoical men and women who daily brave over-garnished langoustine, unremarkable sevruga caviar, and kedgeree inexplicably flavoured to clash dismally with the Ch¿teau Lafite-Rothschild 1961. Night after night they endure such culinary imperfections at the hands of the nation's top chefs.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp View Post
    The nachos were uninspiring
    re Back to PONTINS

Quote Originally Posted by under par View Post
    But I WOULD NOT waste good dance time leaving the site to go out for a meal in town..

WOT do you think I am stupid?

you do not have to answer that!
    agree but would like to know why no pasties by saturday afternoon in the supermarket

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    agree but would like to know why no pasties by saturday afternoon in the supermarket
    Hmm, should this be linked to the current dieting thread?!!

ex.Brum, now in limbo somewhere in the Midlands

We always stop off at Tesco before we get to the site, and put so much money in the kitty to stock up, we buy nice food and wine also I bring wine glasse etc as we do like to sit down to a nice cooked meal as it is part of theholiday have a couple of drinks, and by nine thirty we are ready for the rest of the night to dance the night away.

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    Hmm, should this be linked to the current dieting thread?!!
    Yes and i wasnt joking

Id eat all the cornish pasties or chicken and mushroom slices scotch eggs etc etc but they had all gone by saturday afternoon.

Who eat all the pies ?

So i eat about 4 packets of crips and 4 chocolate bars 'to keep me going' (2pm to 5pm saturday)

At bliss ill be getting the fruit

ps Have they increased the salt content re chicken and mushroom?

As Trouble said, i always have the mixed grill i have never had a problem with it.

The only time i eat anything nice is when Trouble cooks, usually its ham sandwiches and cooked breakfast on the weekend for me.

We are at Southport to dance not to fanny about.

I always enjoy the good company when we are having a meal, usually the Irish crowd stops by and says hello so the meal turns into something nice and friendly.

This year Sarah Whites crowd joined us, its really not that bad, the food in the restaurant, those bar staff work long and hard IMHO.

XXX XXXX DTS Dave

Thanks DTS, you reminded me of another nice part of eating in the restaurant, getting to sit and chat to other dancers who just happen to be eating there at the same time - not planned, but sociable and friendly.

(Of course DJ wouldn't like that part either. )

Quote Originally Posted by under par View Post

But I WOULD NOT waste good dance time leaving the site to go out for a meal in town..

!

Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post

This year Sarah Whites crowd joined us, its really not that bad, the food in the restaurant, those bar staff work long and hard IMHO.

XXX XXXX DTS Dave

well said DTS total agree

and IMHO the bar staff were just the best, smiles and pleased to see us

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Commercial Operator

In June the restaurant food was passable. It wasn't the best I'd ever tasted but it was OK. Definitely better than leaving the site anyway. The breakfast club in June was lovely. I was in serious need of food and it tasted good and the company made the whole experience a good one.

I didn't make the breakfast club this time as I went to bed at 8am. I did eat in the restaurant on the Sunday and the food was disgusting. I had the mixed grill and everything was over cooked. Our friend didn't get half of what he ordered. Items had been substituted without discussion for things he just couldn't eat. My daughter then had the apple pie. The custard was warm and the pie was freezing cold. I was astounded they could get it wrong. I mean it only had to be warmed up. The staff may well work hard but the boy serving us was a total drip.

I usually live on the chicken in boxes and that gets me though the nights.

Thought the outside bar-b-q was a good idea this time. Didn't taste it but it smelt yummy.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    I've eaten in the Southport restaurant 3 times and each time the food has been rubbish, but there is nowhere else to eat in walking distance.

At Camber there are 2 really nice places to eat just outside the camp. Dunes and The Place.
    You must try the Green Owl pub and the Cafe which on the road to the Sand dunes Beach, not on main road or main beach car park. Leave main entrance gate, turn left, turn 1st right opposite church. Walk pass cafe, turn right and Green Owl is down there, eat every time there!! AT Camber not Southport
    Last edited by Bluey; 20th-September-2007 at 06:45 PM.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by tsh View Post
    I had 3 cooked breakfasts and 2 excellent meals in the evening, courtesy of my chalet mates. I won't tell you who they are in case someone else tries to share with them next time!

Sean
    I had the most delicious Mexican meal I have ever tasted at SP this year!

Complete with Tequila Slammers...

Sean - you might think you got the best set of chalet mates, but we got the best neighbours...!

Last edited by SnowWhite; 20th-September-2007 at 06:46 PM. Reason: bound to upset someone...

Commercial Operator

As Trouble said, i always have the mixed grill i have never had a problem with it.

On Friday night Mixed Grill was bloody horrible and was refused, even the lettuce had been put under a warmer!! , no way am Im paying to eat in there again, Its a real shame as its part of the atmosphere having the resturant there, but how many times have you seen headless waiting staff going back and forward trying to match tables with food they ordered. They have huge attitude problems in that area and its real shame only that bit, is the down side on a cracking weekend. Wonder is John Or Wes can sort that?

I'm with the I'm not going to waste time cooking and cleaning up when at Southport.

This time I caught the train so bringing any food with me wasn't really an option - normally I bring snacky food for those chalet pitstops between dancing.

i've always found the on side food - ok - not great but not hideous. From the restaurant - I stick to a few tried and tested dishes, - fajitias - chicken not the beef - could do with a extra tortia but between the meat with capsicums & mushrooms and the salad it feels like a real meal. The Burger is usually a safe bet as well. From the late night take away the chicken wrap is my choice - the chips are pretty good to - pretty much always freshly cooked!

FirstMove and I were contemplating the possibilities of ordering a pizza delivery or similar.

Oh, and the sunday roast I had in the bar was edible and bursting with carbohydrates.

We usually have 2-3 chalets at SP and by now it's tradition that we take turns to cook a meal for all of us each evening. Quick stop off at Tesco's en route sorts out the necessary provisions.

It's a great way to chill out and "meet up" with my chalet mates again as everyone seems to have different waking/sleeping/dancing hours, and we only see each other fleetingly. So nice to all get round the table with some good freshly cooked food and wine before hitting the dance floor again till dawn

And the left overs are great when you come back early morning...

Though I have been known to cook up egg and bacon butties for brekkie or as a late night snakck too as despite the luvly breakfast club, I am personally not a a great fan of mass produced cooked breakfasts (call me fussy, I don't care I like good food and I have no intention of compromising when I am on holiday. In fact, decent food shared with my (chalet) friends and visitors passing by is one of the things that really makes the SP weekenders so special)

Quote Originally Posted by sidney View Post
    We always stop off at Tesco before we get to the site, and put so much money in the kitty to stock up, we buy nice food and wine also I bring wine glasse etc as we do like to sit down to a nice cooked meal as it is part of theholiday have a couple of drinks, and by nine thirty we are ready for the rest of the night to dance the night away.
    A couple of drinks

Thread Information