Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eating at SP

Eating at SP

Moved from the "How many Southports" thread - DavidJames

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyman View Post
    (e) A good on-site restaurant.
    Huh? Where is this "good" on-site restaurant?
    Last edited by David Bailey; 20th-September-2007 at 03:10 PM.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: How many Southports have you attended?

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    Huh? Where is this "good" on-site restaurant?

The food's abysmal, and the service equally so.
    Never again.

There are 3 excellent restaurants in Southport proper I could recommend - great food, great prices.

But eating in one of the SP site ones? God, no.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    The food's abysmal, and the service equally so.
    Never again.
    So you just tried it once?

I've eaten there many times, and its not very exciting food, but - its better than we can make in our chalets with what we can buy at the onsite shop, its perfect as a 'gathering point' for our NI crowd where people can arrive within a rough time slot whenever they have finished classes etc. and all eat together, and you can get up and dance after you put in your order and before your food arrives. So it works well for us.

There are 3 excellent restaurants in Southport proper I could recommend - great food, great prices.

I do hope that they are not the "exclusive" sort... we couldn't have that now could we?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by under par View Post
    I do hope that they are not the "exclusive" sort... we couldn't have that now could we?

The Forum Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post

I've eaten there many times, and its not very exciting food, but - its better than we can make in our chalets with what we can buy at the onsite shop, its perfect as a 'gathering point' for our NI crowd where people can arrive within a rough time slot whenever they have finished classes etc. and all eat together, and you can get up and dance after you put in your order and before your food arrives. So it works well for us.
    I think that the breakfasts are pretty reasonable. Especially when John & Wes are buying them!

The rest of the food I've had from there has been pretty awful. This year, I was hungry, so I had twisters and nachos. The twisters were pretty rock solid and nasty. The nachos were uninspiring. They were pretty glued together with the cheese, and the dips came in little pots that were pretty impossible. They'd also obviously run out of salsa, and without saying anything had replaced it with brown sauce.

Personally, apart from breakfast, I'd never eat in the restaurant again. And I did find a very nice restaurant in February in Southport.

I'm clearly not as fussy - and to be honest, as long as I'm with my friends and am getting basic food, that's all I want on a dance weekender - food is fuel. I go to dance, not dine.

Hear, hear.

It is a matter of personal opinion and you don't have to eat in the restaurant if you don't want to. I may not be Gordon Ramsay when it comes to culinary recommendations, but it works for me, even if others disagree.

I tried cooking in the chalet once when I went to Camber, but didn't enjoy it and particularly during November when the chalet was cold, so I welcomed the option at Southport.

I've eaten there several times – usually just once per visit to Southport when I'm thinking "it couldn't really be as bad as I remember, could it?" It is. As Trampy says, they can turn the simplest of things into an inedible mess.

I've eaten there many times, and its not very exciting food, but - its better than we can make in our chalets with what we can buy at the onsite shop, ...
    The last few times I've come to Southport, I've been lucky to have Freudian Hips with me, who has shown me that is actually is very easy to make something much better in your own chalet than served up in the restaurant.*

* Come to think of it, both Princess Fi & Dizzy, whom I've shared with in the past, also showed me this. I just couldn't have been watching closely enough at the time.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    I've eaten there several times – usually just once per visit to Southport when I'm thinking "it couldn't really be as bad as I remember, could it?" It is. As Trampy says, they can turn the simplest of things into an inedible mess.

The last few times I've come to Southport, I've been lucky to have Freudian Hips with me, who has shown me that is actually is very easy to make something much better in your own chalet than served up in the restaurant.*

* Come to think of it, both Princess Fi & Dizzy, whom I've shared with in the past, also showed me this. I just couldn't have been watching closely enough at the time.
    I've only ever eaten the roast from the carvery which has always been edible, though never scrumptious.

The rest of the time food has always been made by us - Aunty Barb always cooks on Fri and I bring lunch for Sat and Sun. Crumble for the BBQ, I hope, allows us to have a couple of burgers brought by someone else.

For Feb I'm planning on making stuff and freezing it beforehand, since what I like to eat in winter tends to be stuff that takes much longer to cook; stew/casserole and soup.

Blog Entries

Re: Eating at SP

enough teasing, post your Southport restaurant reviews so we know where to try next time...

I also have enjoyed the carvery and breakfast in the restaurant.. but had some poor other meals off of the menu.

But I WOULD NOT waste good dance time leaving the site to go out for a meal in town..

WOT do you think I am stupid?

you do not have to answer that!

I've eaten in the Southport restaurant 3 times and each time the food has been rubbish, but there is nowhere else to eat in walking distance.

At Camber there are 2 really nice places to eat just outside the camp. Dunes and The Place.

Blog Entries

ok the food it not great. I always stick to the burger as you really cant go wrong with a burger and DTS always has the mixed grill. Again, not a lot you can do with it to bugger it up. I actually wanted to try and fajhitas (dont look right my spelling but you know wot i mean) and they had run out.

I also would not waste time, taking car off site to go to a restaurant. Thats not what im there for. Southport it normally a weekend of fast food, breakfast, burgers etc cause sitting down and eating is definately not on the agenda.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    I actually wanted to try and fajhitas (dont look right my spelling but you know wot i mean) and they had run out.
    I had the last of them!
    FWIW, they were OK, but it was just 2 tortillas, some cheese, some kind of cream (not sour cream ), salsa, shredded lettuce and the leftover beef from the carvery.

Me and Jamie shared a pizza from the restaurant on the Friday when we arrived which was quite edible actually (it wasn't like Pizza Hut or Domino;s like but it was your usual supermarket's own brand, stick in oven and warm up jobby).. apart from the fact that they decided to put salad all over the top of it which we spent most of the time picking off.. .... us two being salad dodgers and all

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    enough teasing, post your Southport restaurant reviews so we know where to try next time...
    From here:

4. Southport restaurants
    Great value for money, lovely service - I can thoroughly recommend both the Cathay Garden and the Gourmet Kitchen, both on the corner of Leicester Street and Lord Street. Best meals I've had in months.
    And in the same post:
    3. Pontins "restaurants"
    Don't use them unless you are starving to death. Even then, think carefully.
    And from here:
    [*] Pontins "restaurant" - the food and service
    Kooky Waiter Man at the lovely Cathay Garden restaurant in Southport, trying to guess my profession and giving up, telling me I'm officially Psychically Invisible :smug icon:
    And then from here:
    Evening: One wonderful episode of Doctor Who later, it's time for dinner (Lord Street - as always, Southport has a lot of lovely places to eat out if you look. And as I don't have a deathwish yet I don't want to eat the food in the Queen Vic. OK, I'm a Londoner but I'm not stupid.)
    So, at least I'm consistent

Blog Entries

From here:

And in the same post:

And from here:

And then from here:

So, at least I'm consistent
    Ta very much.

I'm happy to have 1 meal off-site as long as I have a good chance of it being a decent meal otherwise it's not worth the effort.

Of course I'll have forgotten about this advice by February!

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post

I also would not waste time, taking car off site to go to a restaurant. Thats not what im there for. S
    I can highly recommend a visit to Morrisons in Southport on the Friday... they have a fabulous salad bar.. just fill up 3 or 4 plastic dishes with your choices of salad, pastas, rice dishes, cole slaws potato salads etc mmmmmm! your choice is huge and then add a couple of hot grilled chickens to your basket to rip to pieces and add to your plate of salad over the weekend.

In between fast food meals obviously.

I had 3 cooked breakfasts and 2 excellent meals in the evening, courtesy of my chalet mates. I won't tell you who they are in case someone else tries to share with them next time!

Sean

Thread Information