Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: SP Forum BBQ policing...

SP Forum BBQ policing...

Moved from the Forum gathering thread - DavidJames

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    Also make them pay up front
    Should do that for the BBQ...stop all the tight arsed numpies turning up with nothing, necking all the food and drink, then buggering off.

One forumite actually confessed to doing this every year and I watched them do it again last week. The nerve of some people.
    Last edited by David Bailey; 20th-September-2007 at 02:09 PM.

Re: Southport Forumite Gathering?

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Should do that for the BBQ...stop all the tight arsed numpies turning up with nothing, necking all the food and drink, then buggering off.

One forumite actually confessed to doing this every year and I watched them do it again last week. The nerve of some people.

A good idea, but virtually impossible to police.

The 5 trays of crumble cost about £40 in total this time, so I reckon Aunty Barb, Azande and I are ok!

Quote Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
    A good idea, but virtually impossible to police.
    That's true, unless you want to turn it in to some kind of school dinner queue which sort of defeats the object.

As usual its a minority taking the plss and bragging about how they get a free feed up, etc.

As usual its a minority taking the plss and bragging about how they get a free feed up, etc.
    Eh, just require that everyone brings something to eat or drink. Those who forget can of course grab some burgers from the shop or whatever.

Or you could find someone taking the mickey and cook his sausage, I guess.

Why not name and shame them then?

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    Now, now Rob. You know I'm a stickler for forum rules and it is forbidden to name and shame.

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    Now, now Rob. You know I'm a stickler for forum rules and it is forbidden to name and shame.
    You don't need to name and shame them on here. Just get whoever is organising the event to check what people have brought, and those who have turned up empty handed should be sent away to the on-site shop to stock up on crisps and beer (probably at twice the price they'd have paid if they'd been organised) and tell them not to come back until they've got their contribution. Or just let it be known who the skinflints are amongst the group who have contributed and embarrass/ostracise them.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    Name & shame! Name & shame! Name & shame!
    I suspect the "too trivial to bother about" threshold for N&S wouldn't be breached by this sort of thing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    I suspect the "too trivial to bother about" threshold for N&S wouldn't be breached by this sort of thing.
    While we're on the subject, I'd like to name & praise Wuzzle for the absolutely lurvely burgers he brought.

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    You don't need to name and shame them on here. Just get whoever is organising the event to check what people have brought, and those who have turned up empty handed should be sent away to the on-site shop to stock up on crisps and beer (probably at twice the price they'd have paid if they'd been organised) and tell them not to come back until they've got their contribution. Or just let it be known who the skinflints are amongst the group who have contributed and embarrass/ostracise them.
    I sincerely hope you are volunteering for the job, as I doubt anyone else would want to waste their SP time policing who has contributed to the BBQ and who hasn't, despite my disgust that there are those of us out there who openly stated that they have never contributed.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
    I sincerely hope you are volunteering for the job, as I doubt anyone else would want to waste their SP time policing who has contributed to the BBQ and who hasn't, despite my disgust that there are those of us out there who openly stated that they have never contributed.
    I can't very well - I haven't got any plans at the moment to go to SP. But clearly someone needs to do something to shame these cheapskates into contributing! Anyone got any better ideas?

btw - I only posted it because that kind of behaviour annoys me so much
    Last edited by Twirly; 20th-September-2007 at 11:37 AM. Reason: added bit

I doubt there is a solution to this problem, or at least I can't think of one.

Naming and shaming is also unlikely to make much difference, other than to create more bad feeling. Those who didn't bring anything must be able to switch off the volume of their conscience and are unlikely to change.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Seems harsh to me - if people keep doing sort of thing, then naturally people will let them know but i would never turn some one away just because they've not contributed when they turn up to a friendly gathering

Blog Entries

Beat the cheapskates with a big stick and post their picture around the venue so everyone knows not to dance with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Seems harsh to me - if people keep doing sort of thing, then naturally people will let them know but i would never turn some one away just because they've not contributed when they turn up to a friendly gathering
    I'm tired and in a "mood" today... let the skinflints starve!!

True, refusing to let them back would be a bit harsh (and wasn't really serious), but pointing out that they are expected to make a contribution is not exactly harsh as they are. And suprisingly, some people might be a bit dim and not really realise how it works and might need reminding. Obviously not those who are boasting about the free feed though, year after year.

... But clearly someone needs to do something ...
    Where is the need?
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

some people might be a bit dim
    So Glad that "Beo Nice-but-dim" isn't going either

mind you at least I'd bring something.

I'm not up for castration of offenders.. roasting their meat and two veg on the BBQ but a gentle word in their shell like is usually best.

I dislike people who come along to BBQ's / picnics etc with nothing and expect a free feed with not as much as a thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    Where is the need?
    Because it's annoying some people and "unfair". Might not be so bad if they did it discreetly, but it sounds as if some are actually boasting about it. Sadly, these sorts of people will just carry on doing it till someone stands up to them and tells them it's not acceptable. And this sort of behaviour can ruin things for others, as it creates a sense of resentment.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    It's not so much the turning up with nothing that bothers me...it's the fact that they laugh and brag about it too.

Incidentally....the person in question brought along several others who also contributed nothing.

Blog Entries

It's not so much the turning up with nothing that bothers me...it's the fact that they laugh and brag about it too.

Incidentally....the person in question brought along several others who also contributed nothing.
    Oooh, hints and clues, you tease!

Thread Information