Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: The Forum diet club

Re: The Forum diet club

Quote Originally Posted by Thetruth View Post
    it just laziness and overindulgence in food.
    Could you be any more narrow minded?

I don't know what your situation is, but I suspect you have no concept of 'real life'.

With three kids, a demanding and stressful job and a house to run, I would be most offended if you were suggesting I were lazy.

I'd love to be like I was before I had kids, matial arts, step classes, swimming, dancing, walking...but it's not as simple as that, nothing ever is.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    With three kids, a demanding and stressful job and a house to run, I would be most offended if you were suggesting I were lazy.
    Ah, you're just being lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Ah, you're just being lazy.
    Are you bored at the moment DJ?

Franzqvk...can you infract DJ for being a Troll please?

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    I don't know what your situation is, but I suspect you have no concept of 'real life'..

I get up in the morning, walk the mile and a half to the train station, then at the other end walk the mile and a half to the office. I get into the office around 8:00am and I'm on the top floor (no lift) The IT support department is in the basement (figures! ) and I'm up and down those stairs constantly all day.

I leave work about 5:00pm and get home around 6:00pm

I have very little spare time for exercise.. I KNOW I should. I TRY to fit some in but I don't have a lot of options available to me. I attempt to go swimming at least twice a week. I eat moderately healthily (although Twirly does nag me if I don't eat enough greenery) I am guilty of snacking at times but who isn't? I cannot afford a gym membership but I walk everywhere.. st least I did until my leg problems started and after many doctor visits and hospital tests they're still none the wiser so I can't walk too far without pain. I'm not dancing at the moment.. combination of leg pain and sickly back balance. And I admit when I'm not swimming I am a bit of a couch potato (well a desk potato actually.. i go home and sit at my PC and stay there most of the night programming, playing WoW , surfing, etc)

I know there are changes I can make in my lifestyle. I could exercise more.. but I am genuinely tired when I come home from work.. coupled with a pair of malfunctional and aching legs I really do not feel up to exercise. I could eat less.. I already eat pretty healthily as I stated, Not a lot of fat, grill most foods but I'm far from perfect.

but I resent that anyone would suggest I'm making excuses. I come from a family with a poor track record for heart, lung, kidney, and diabetes problems. I'm actually the"fittest" and "healthiest" member of my extended family. I KNOW I can do better.. Having no money for Gym .. well I could walk more.. except my legs won't let me. I certainly can't jog! I COULD swim more.. but I really CANNOT afford to. I'm on the breadline.. LITERALLY scraping the money out of the piggy bank each month. I eat as well as I can and i don't have much in the way of luxuries.

In my prime I've ran a marathon, used to jog everywhere and would think nothing of a 10 15 mile walk round the place at weekends. Until my leg problem I was fine.. since then I've been struggling to lose weight and not pile on more. I'm currently 6foot tall and 14st 3lbs

So short of starving myself (which isn't a healthy solution) or walking until my legs drop off .. and then walking some more on the bleeding stumps.. what am I to do? or am I just making more "excuses"??

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970 View Post
    Lots of stuff
    Beo, you already do more than most people by walking 4 miles a day and going up and down stairs all day. Add dancing and swimming to that and you're doing pretty good, I think.

I was doing the same as you and getting nowhere (5'9 and over 14 stone) until I had a medical and the nurse said "well your exercise and diet are exemplary, so you must be lying about something fatty" (OK, so she didn't say fatty).
    I knew my exercise was all truth so I did a food diary. That was when I discovered that I was eating far more fatty food, chocolate and sweets than I even realised.
    It was tough giving it up, but I did. No more chocolate bars with my cuppa, no more sausage rolls for snacks and no more packets of sweets in the car/desk drawer.
    I found that having a large glass or bottle of water when I would normally trough rubbish helped me to stop and within a few months I was under 13 stone and still am.

Seriously, if you do nothing else, keep a food and drink diary for a week or two and you'll be shocked at how much cr4p you get through.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970 View Post
    So short of starving myself (which isn't a healthy solution) or walking until my legs drop off .. and then walking some more on the bleeding stumps.. what am I to do? or am I just making more "excuses"??
    I'd definitely focus on the swimming. I've had some health issues myself over the past year, but I've found swimming to be quite effective, I'm working up my stamina now.

Yeah that... and I have to be better at portion control (ooh typo.. wrote PROTON control there.. I would be on Heroes if I could control my protons!) I find I now can.. and do.. leave food once I'm "full" I'm no longer "full" when I cannot eat another mouthful and being fit to burst but I now classify "full" as when I no longer feel hungry. I always used to finish my plate.. regardless of how much I'd put on it..

I can now happily leave food (or freeze it as left-overs)

What I could really do with is a Bomb Calorimeter ! by the time I've cooked my dinner. Ground it up, cremated it and fed it into the machine to calculate it's calorific content. Well think of the calories I save by doing that and not actually eating it

Then you could make really sticky sweet puddings and tell yourself "I saved myself 500 calories today by not eating that!" lol
    Last edited by Beowulf; 25th-September-2007 at 10:56 AM. Reason: portion not Proton

Aye aye then it is now 16.00 hrs and still no ciggys as yet.

Eating like a Biaffran in a buffet, but thats to be expected.

The young lad who works with me has also given up at the same time as me and the trouble and i must say he was suffering today, as was i.

Having an early night tonight and going to be dreaming of Double Troubles Xmas dinner...Bless her little heart.

XXX XXX DTS Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post

The young lad who works with me has also given up at the same time as me and the trouble and i must say he was suffering today, as was i.

Having an early night tonight and going to be dreaming of Double Troubles Xmas dinner...Bless her little heart.

XXX XXX DTS Dave

Keep going Babe.......Your a star and i'm proud of you!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post

XXX XXX DTS Dave
    Good luck DTS. Remember, if you don't pick one up, you can't smoke it - well you can, but would need some sort of gadget.

Back to food.
    These food threads make me hungry.

I think a huge problem is the amount of attention given to food in England.

We've got -

breakfast
    brunch
    elevenses
    lunch/luncheon
    high tea
    tea time
    canapes and cocktails
    dinner
    supper
    midnight feast

banquets,
    gala dinners,
    picnics
    dinner parties
    wedding breakfasts
    parties
    snacks

.......and not forgetting DTS's buffet

Far too much opportunity for troughing.

Blog Entries

Well its second day completed of no smoking, only another couple to go and the cravings will stop.

Cross trainer arrived at DTS's today. He is bringing it to me Friday morning then we will attempt to put it together so i can start Tuesday morning fitness regime......ooooooh its so exciting.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    Cross trainer arrived at DTS's today. He is bringing it to me Friday morning then we will attempt to put it together so i can start Tuesday morning fitness regime......ooooooh its so exciting.
    You should send it back and ask for a more placid one.

Well its second day completed of no smoking, only another couple to go and the cravings will stop.

I dont know this thing looks the boll*x i may keep it and see if i can wire it up to the electrics and save myself some money.
    XXX XXX DTS Dave

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    You should send it back and ask for a more placid one.
    oooh so sharp you will cut yaself one day Mr I....

You go girl! Taking it one day at at time seems to be the way forward at the moment. Hopefully the cravings should stop soon

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    You go girl! Taking it one day at at time seems to be the way forward at the moment. Hopefully the cravings should stop soon
    you too Connie, get over the first week with boiled sugur free sweets, helps a lot if you get a craving, pop one in ya mouth.

I am not the negative one.............All I am saying is losing weight is not rocket science. Exercise and eat. If anyone is negative it is all the people attacking me for my comments with no understanding and excuses.
    As you mentioned it is not easy to keeping it off, its hard work (but can be enjoyable). Sorry but it is as simple as saying do something about it. It not a lack of understanding, it just laziness and overindulgence in food. Do you think overweight people lack self esteem? Seems as though you imply this as a yes, as they need support, encouragement, understanding. Cant do it on their own, where heaps of people before them have done so. Its just excuse after excuse.
    I think everyone is well aware that the only person who can make them lose weight is themselves, however what you seem to be unable to grasp is that for a lot of people it is not straight forward and easy as it seems to be for you!

As with anything new or difficult a bit of help, encouragement and understanding goes a long way and it is especially heartening to find that other people have the same issues and problems.

Unlike you not everyone understands the basics of metabolic rate, sensible eating, health and nutrition and what constitutes sensible weight lose.

This thread is a great way helping everything make sense so to have you po po everyone's problems as excuse makers really is not helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by Feelingpink View Post
    Do you realise you are arguing against yourself here? You say that people are overweight because "it is just laziness & overindulgence in food". If we accept that, then why did you encourage your mother to join the gym? Surely she could have done that on her own without your help. It can be good to ask for help from others, and for us to help others, as you have proven.
    Encouragement is helpful, but not bullshirting people. Like people saying, "Oh no! you dont need to lose weight, your curves and shape are fine". (one womans comments in this thread). The lady is 16stone!!!!! Why do people say these things!!! Sometimes it would seem overweight people don't want others to lose weight, otherwise they may have to lose weight.
    The lady that has 3 children clearly is not lazy, but doesn't find the time to exercise although, somehow manages to attend dance classes..........(noting exercise is not looking after children - otherwise all Mum's would be thin.
    At the end of the day it is about health and quality of life....................and its the individuals choice and task.

Encouragement is helpful, but not bullshirting people. Like people saying, "Oh no! you dont need to lose weight, your curves and shape are fine". (one womans comments in this thread). The lady is 16stone!!!!! Why do people say these things!!! Sometimes it would seem overweight people don't want others to lose weight, otherwise they may have to lose weight.
    This comment got me thinking - what is an healthy and acceptable weight/size? Obviously it varies depending on the individual, but for an average sized man/woman, what should it be (ie for a 5'10" bloke etc.)

Isn't the latest theory that rather than judging on BMI or weight, judging on waist/dress size is actually best? What should the goal be - perhaps a 32" waist for average height men and size 12 for average height women?

The lady that has 3 children clearly is not lazy, but doesn't find the time to exercise although, somehow manages to attend dance classes..........(noting exercise is not looking after children - otherwise all Mum's would be thin.
    At the end of the day it is about health and quality of life....................and its the individuals choice and task.
    Hoorah! You've actually admitted that there is a point to this thread, even if you then disagree with a selected number of posts. Perhaps, then, you could be helpful in your encouragement on this thread, or would that be asking too much?

Thread Information