Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: The Forum diet club

Re: The Forum diet club

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post

Anyway good example for me is the 256 biscuits you put by the DJ in blues room on sunday. i saw no one was eating them and i didnt want them to go off so had 'a few'
    glad some one eat them, we had chocolate cake in the other room

you can have anything its about moderation

I'm not so good at moderation

Blog Entries

I blame LemonCake, Lory and anyone else who made me eat all those lovely cakes and stuff at Southport.

Quote Originally Posted by Caro View Post
    Since I came in this country (4 years ago next week - and yesterday I realised one more year and I'm allowed to claim British citizenship ) I had put on about 11 kg. Mainly due to the type of food here, working on oil platforms for a year and having a terrible diet (the only good things are cakes), being too lazy to cook, and having a (very) sweet tooth and a tendency to go for comfort food.

Your from Aberdeen ?

I didn’t know the Scots had to work in England for 5 yrs before they became a British citizen keep up the good work

Thank god I was born before they started any type of English literacy test

I don’t like the word 'diet' it even sounds like a passing thing i.e. you diet then you fine. Life style change again sound a bit grandiose but I prefer it

Paul Mc Kenna says you shouldnt weigh yourself for a while, probably agree with that. when i have lost weight i notice it i dont need a scale

Maybe I should be shamed into doing something. Stewyfatty38 ?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caro View Post
    I had put on about 11 kg.
    but whats that in real money ?

Your from Aberdeen ?

I didn’t know the Scots had to work in England for 5 yrs before they became a British citizen keep up the good work
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    but whats that in real money ?
    way too many gigantic size clothes

Quote Originally Posted by Thetruth View Post
    Why be a food aholic? {Fairly logical maths & science stuff}
    Quote Originally Posted by Feelingpink View Post
    Apart from disagreeing slightly with your mathematical approach - metabolism does come into it a bit - what you say is quite logical. However, most of us don't run our lives as a scientific system; most of us are emotional human beings, so other things come into it. Food can be a comfort blanket or food can taste amazing, so it is a complete pleasure to put it into our mouths and enjoy it (Nigella anyone?). It's easy to become addicted to sugar/carbohydrates and supermarkets are never designed to make it easy for us to walk out only with fresh, unadulterated, unprocessed food. I think most of us also 'know' what we're 'meant' to be doing diet and exercise-wise. Are these excuses? Perhaps. Or you can call them part of being human.
    I don't know whether there are any dieticians (ie the genuinely qualified ones, not the people who diagnose food intolerances by mail order) on this forum, and whether they would be able to confirm whether I'm correct.

My understanding is that weight loss is not directly proportional to calorie intake. It's not just the calorific value, it's also how the food is metabolised by the body. If you compare bread (x calories) and a sugary cake (x calories), eating the sugary cake is more likely to make you add weight. Isn't it something like Glycemic Index/Load or similar?

Anyway, GOOD LUCK to all those involved here!!!

(As an aside, I was discussing different body images with some of my ex-pat colleagues recently. We commented on the incidence of "larger" women here in Brisbane, (Australia) was significantly lower that the UK (and much much lower than the USA). The diet is similar, fast food is equally prevalent, and people aren't noticeably more active. The only reason that we could think of is that during the summer everyone spends lots of time on the beach, and most of the younger and young at heart women wear bikinis quite a bit of the time).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
    I don't know whether there are any dieticians (ie the genuinely qualified ones, not the people who diagnose food intolerances by mail order) on this forum, and whether they would be able to confirm whether I'm correct.
    I'm sure Dizzy could help with that one (although she has been very quiet recently...)

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

I don't know whether there are any dieticians (ie the genuinely qualified ones, not the people who diagnose food intolerances by mail order) on this forum,

Dizzy ?

Blog Entries

Would it help if everytime one of us sees you, we point and shout "lardy fat b4st4rd" or something similar?

Just trying to help, you understand.

Losing weight for most people is all about sustained will power and eating the right things in the right amounts.

Our bodies and minds have been programmed over a millennia to put on weight for survival reasons. Only in the last thousand years have we had too much food to eat.

So it’s a tough challenge to have the body shape that we desire, fighting against our own body and subconscious mind.

So how can we achieve the body shape we desire?

We need to change our thinking, never an easy thing to do!

We need to learn that feeling a little hunger is a good thing.

We need to condition our bodies to only expect sensible portions of food.

We need to look at healthy food like sleek looking fish, or a fast footed chicken and think yummy.

We need to look at a chocolate bar and see it for what it is, coco powder masking a bar packed full of cholesterol giving lard, yuck! Or Pizza, what’s that all about? dough and cheese, I get fat sickly feeling just looking at one.++

If you want that sexy body then you have to “Stay Hungry” for it in body and mind.

Food is a fuel not something to pleasure yourself with, use your imaginations there is many other ways to pleasure yourself and more opportunities and options to do so if your slim and sleek.

If you need any more motivation to lose weight then just call me, I’m sure I can take your mind off food.

PS I’m just trying to motivate the girls here, guys you get as many love handles as you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    Would it help if everytime one of us sees you, we point and shout "lardy fat b4st4rd" or something similar?

No

Have you lost weight since Southport would be better

Well, I weighed myself.
    Of the 28lbs I lost last year due to total loss of appetite through stress, 20lbs have returned.
    I reckon there are 3 reasons for this:
    1 appetite returned
    2 I smoke a lot less
    3 I cook food that Azande likes, rather than food my body likes.
    I'm going to lose 10lbs by Christmas, then I'll re-assess.
    For me the 'diet' that works is what nowadays is known as a typical detox; tons of fruit, veg and salad; no wheat/dairy/processed food; lots of wholegrains and fish. This is the type of stuff I was brought up on. We had an allotment to save money so we ate lots of veg as it was 'free'.
    I also plan a return to dance and general exercise to motivate myself and get some of those feel-good endorphins pumping through my system.
    I'll let you know how I get on.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_and_tonic View Post
    As well as controlling the food though, I think the only way to lose the weight is to exercise!!! I find workout DVDs the only way to help me lose weight and tone up fast as I find I have way more motivation to do a workout at home rather than go to the gym! I am not going to say which workout dvd I do though, as it is suuuper doooooper embarassing!
    Go on, what DVD is it? I used to do MOS pump it up, but dance a lot more now instead.
    For me, I really need to concentrate on my calorie intake, If i am consuming 5000 cals a day at a weekender, I know that no amount of dancing will burn that lot off. I seriously binge at weekenders because I almost fainted at my first weekender, now I just go way over the top...50% because Im worried I'll feel faint and 50% because Im a pig

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    yep im gonna join too. Going to give up smoking on Monday (5th time) - which will mean unfortunately the temptation to stick a sweetie in my mouth instead of a ciggie will be even greater. Im thinking of joining a club - slimmers world - which i think is green and red days.... Does anybody have any experience of this?
    You can get these great mini lollies from superdrug that have less than 100cals for a whole pack that have calming properties, they are aimed at those giving up smoking. They might help.

Quote Originally Posted by Thetruth View Post
    In my opinion your post was utterly pointless, smug and just plain horrible. Give people enough credit to assume that they know the basics of weight gain/loss. I started this thread as support for people who want it, not for those who think of themselves as 'fit', to gloat about it.

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    Just show's that even when you get to target its a life long battle, I have had comments to me along the lines....well its easy for you yout at target........thats when the hard work beggins.

the wow factor has gone

wow...don't you look good

wow ....i'm loosing weight

wow......I can get into a smaller size

then your on your own and its easy to slip back.

S38 why is it expected to get a comment from some one at SP ? are they perfect after all beauty is in the eye of the beholder
    Ive been at target and I found it really hard to maintain, the compliments dry up, my willpower weakened and I got distracted...then the pounds creeped back on. This time last year I was over a stone and a half lighter But I do need to give myself some credit. I was 16 or more stone at one point

Thanks to everyone who has joined in. Good luck to you all.
    I had quite a good day yesterday, but I hope today I'll be even better today. Knowing that I will report my progress on here means I will be more likely to stay on the straight and narrow

Zara xxx

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DundeeDancer View Post
    Losing weight for most people is all about sustained will power and eating the right things in the right amounts.
    Nah, human willpower is weak, learning to see food for what it is and gaining emotional support from suitable places is much more effective.

We need to change our thinking, never an easy thing to do!

We need to learn that feeling a little hunger is a good thing.

If you want that sexy body then you have to “Stay Hungry” for it in body and mind.
    Whaaa...? I think not. If you regularly allow yourself to become hungry, your body conditions itself for a lack of food and extracts more from the food you do eat and stores it as fat!

We need to condition our bodies to only expect sensible portions of food.
    Yep , since eating better, I find I have a smaller appetite.

Food is a fuel not something to pleasure yourself with, use your imaginations there is many other ways to pleasure yourself and more opportunities and options to do so if your slim and sleek.
    Yes and no. Strictly correct, but I still enjoy food and I still eat whatever I feel like eating. There's no need to take the pleasure out of it.

No

Have you lost weight since Southport would be better
    OK, I'll bear that in mind fatty.

I don’t like the word 'diet' it even sounds like a passing thing i.e. you diet then you fine. Life style change again sound a bit grandiose but I prefer it

Paul Mc Kenna says you shouldnt weigh yourself for a while, probably agree with that. when i have lost weight i notice it i dont need a scale

I agree I don't think diets work I have tried almost every thing before I found Slimming world its a way of life

I also like Paul Mc Kenna it adresses the mind, thats where I try and get into at my club with my members, that might be why I do OK with them.

NO S38 you don't

I belive we respond to positive abetter than negitive

when I first started dancing, and a man said ...'you look nice'... I felt like a million dollars, its made it all worth while........the feeling doesn't change there is nothing nicer than to be told we look nice it make you wan't more complements and try harder

So if there are any of you out there reading this please give your partners encouragement they will love it

Just ask 'Phil' of Phil and Yuko about the encouragegement I give him
    he can take it he's one of the best of the best

Gerry have I told you lately you 'do it for me'

but whats that in real money

Dizzy ?
    yes Dizzy, that what happens when you havn't eaten enough

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post

you sound like me when i'm doing my Majory Doors impression

you can eat dust

My understanding is that weight loss is not directly proportional to calorie intake. It's not just the calorific value, it's also how the food is metabolised by the body. If you compare bread (x calories) and a sugary cake (x calories), eating the sugary cake is more likely to make you add weight. Isn't it something like Glycemic Index/Load or similar?
    Dizzy would be able to advise better... if we ever see her again (where are you?).

Another nutritionist friend did try and explain it to me once. It's something to do with the refined carbs causing a rush of sugar into the blood, and making the body produce more insulin. This removes the excess energy from the blood stream, and lays it down as fat, but also causes a rapid lowering of blood sugar which can make you feel hungry again and/or crave something sweet, and thus starting the whole cycle all over again. It's why the unrefined carbs are recommended - it takes the body longer to break them down and so they are released at a constant rate into the blood stream.

I know this happens to me quite easily. When Beo and I were driving down to Cornwall, we stopped off enroute to have a coffee and a muffin at about 1, planning on having a late lunch in the afternoon (we'd taken a picnic with us). Big mistake for me - a couple of hours later I was literally shaking as my blood sugar had plummeted and I had a raging headache - I was hypoglyceamic. Not good for the designated driver. I recognise this (though I get it rarely these days) and know what to do now - quick dose of sugar and then proper food. I was fine half an hour later.

I feel as though I should join in too, as I could really do with losing a bit of weight. But I don't do very well with diets... I had a brief brush with an eating disorder when I was in my teens (not that you'd think it to look at me now! ) and they do strange things to my head. It's annoying, as I do have a pretty healthy diet (ask Beo - his has improved since we got together as I'm always nagging him about eating "green stuff") - I eat too much (even if it is healthy stuff), I drink too much wine (though am cutting back right now) and I don't exercise enough.

Good luck to everyone else though.

Quote Originally Posted by Zara View Post
    Go on, what DVD is it? I used to do MOS pump it up, but dance a lot more now instead.
    Anyone want to make an inappropriate comment about watching fitness videos - Elle MacPherson's is supposed to be very helpful and it apparently contains many informative tips

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    you can have anything its about moderation

I'm not so good at moderation

Anyone want to make an inappropriate comment about watching fitness videos - Elle MacPherson's is supposed to be very helpful and it apparently contains many informative tips
    Ok.. I've watched a few. Sat there .. feet up, eating a bag of crisps.. watching the DVD.. .. .. Didn't lose an ounce !!

inappropriate enough?

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970 View Post
    Ok.. I've watched a few. Sat there .. feet up, eating a bag of crisps.. watching the DVD.. .. .. Didn't lose an ounce !!

inappropriate enough?
    Not nearly, you're supposed to make a comment about wrist muscles.

Blimey, do I have to do everything round here?

Thread Information