Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: The Forum diet club

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: The Forum diet club

Quote Originally Posted by Thetruth View Post
    Is someone being oversensitive?
    No, I just don't think your post is very encouraging or helpfull!

Seems to me there are more people unhappy with their body shape but do little about it, other than talk about it.
    I think you'll find your talking to the wrong person here
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'll let you all in on a big secret..................which is no secret at all.
    I'll let you in on another secret, you're not doing a great job in winning friends and influencing people here, you know

(And that's me saying it, too )

Blog Entries

Also, to be a proper club, you need a President - I vote for Lory, considering her new even-better look now.

As for previous discussions, most recently we've had:
    http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/c...ing-plans.html
    http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/c...ther-diet.html

Didn't say I was perfect................but I am very happy with my physical shape. But I work out and dance and eat well. I like to feel strong and fit.................is there anything wrong with that?????
    No smug pills here, why is it smug?Its a well known saying amongst sports people. Is someone being oversensitive? It seems to me people look for an easy way to lose weight.............people only get out of something in life by what they put into it. Seems to me there are more people unhappy with their body shape but do little about it, other than talk about it.
    I'm happy with my body shape

I have worked very hard to look the way I do, it hasn't been easy or cheep, and there nothing wrong with it, but i understand its not easy for a lot of people, it can depend on what's happening in our lives how strong we are feeling.

Have some compassion for people that aren't as wonderful as you, your understanding might just give them the strength they are looking for. Let me tell you! if you have had this attitude around people with a weight problem and they go on to loose it, they will always remember your attitude, I do, i'm still the same person on the inside, if I wasn't good enough when I was bigger i'm not good enough now.

Aint that the 'thetruth'

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Also, to be a proper club, you need a President - I vote for Lory,
    Well, thank you for the vote but I really don't agree!!!!

We're all in this together, as equals.

Yes, we might be at different stages but its the same old battle.

We all have different weaknesses and trigger points and although i'm doing OK at the moment, I really fear that I might be about to start the hardest leg of my journey

All the kind words and encouragement from everyone over the past months, have been invaluable to me and extremely heart-warming and nothing would give me greater pleasure than to help someone else do it!
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

TheTruth is telling.. well ... the truth!

Perhaps it just came across as smug.

I've posted before on the other diet threads we've had. It's a well known fact that "diets" don't work. And by diet I mean Fad diets. Sure you'll lose weight if you eat nothing but grapefruit and lettuces (And only then if you don't eat too many of them) but who can honestly say they could survive on that?

first thing I realised... NO FOOD IS TABOO !! you want a cream tea? a Sugary scone with a dollop of clotted cream and jam? no problem. However you realise that that's going to be a significant percentage of your daily intake. TheTruth's scientific/mathematical approach is one I've used before. If you take in more energy (calories) than you expend, you're body will store it up as fat. it's that simple.

One thing I noticed when I "Dieted" was I was hungry all the time. I'd try a teeny weeny breakfast and a teeny weeny lunch and by dinner time I would be so hungry I'd feel like eating a horse. My blood sugar was up and down like a yo-yo.

Second thing I learnt.. Snacking is good for you. Let me just clarify that point. I DON'T mean have your normal three meals and then snack on crisps and chocolates all day. I mean. spread your eating out over the day. don't have three meals and therefore three spikes in your blood sugar. Have 5 or 6 smaller meals of 200 to 300 calories (and perhaps a slightly bigger one in the evening) to keep your blood sugar constant.

third thing I learnt. Refined foods ... BAD! it's the whole blood sugar thing again. refined sugar .. blammo!! quick instant sugar rush, blood sugar levels spike and when it drops you get the Cravings again. Lots of slow release foods are better, still as filling and as tasty as refined foods but they don't dump their load all at once.

Last general point. Your body is a machine. Food is it's power supply. Just as a more powerful car engine burns more fuel if you are more muscularly toned then you will burn more calories for the same task than someone who is less muscular. in fact , if you are more muscular you'll burn more calories watching TV than someone who isn't toned.

I'm not saying get the weights out and become the next UK body building champ! but don't overlook exercises that tone muscle mass as well as those that provide cardiovascular exercise. You want a good mix of both.

I'm overweight. I know what to do I just am lazy. I was over 15 stone, and before Cornwall (and all those lovely cream teas ) I was just over 14 stone. at the moment I'm 14st 5lbs.

But dieting is common sense. Don't deprive yourself of anything , it's better to enjoy your food and eat less of it than bulk up on bland "gruel" .. you'll not be able to stick to that long term and when you go back to your normal diet the weight will return.

hope this helps.
    Last edited by Beowulf; 20th-September-2007 at 08:38 AM. Reason: typo.. no I didn't gain 1st 5lbs over one week.. was just over 14 stone.. not 13 ;)

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

No smug pills here, why is it smug?
    You seem smug because you are fit , not overweight and seem to think everyone else should find it as easy as you do to be "like you" - and you choose to post this to a thread where people are talking about dieting. Its not big or clever. Just smug.

BTW my mum ran some of the most profitable slimming clubs in all of the UK in the 80's. Not that I would know anything about it, other than being more aware of calories than most people. I'm not about to preach based on my very limited knowledge

Also - while "TheTruth" may be accurate - you really need to speak to "TheTact"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    We all have different weaknesses and trigger points and although i'm doing OK at the moment, I really fear that I might be about to start the hardest leg of my journey
    *DJ orders bacon sarnie for lunchtime*

We're all in this together, as equals.

Yes, we might be at different stages but its the same old battle.

Now this is what I call a good post

We are equals, just a differnt points of this journey

and for some of us we feel that it all could change at any moment, something could trigger it

and most of us are full of fear........

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post

Also - while "TheTruth" may be accurate - you really need to speak to "TheTact"
    It came across as, 'its easy I can do it why carn't you?'

thats cos its not easy, my slimming world plann is easy, life isn't

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    *DJ orders bacon sarnie for lunchtime*
    well you must be on the Slimming World plann

One of the things that get's me realy mad ..............when your eating somthing and you get a comment......'are you supposed to be eating that? I thought you were on a deit'

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

I'm in! You need to set yourself small goals. It's no good thinking, right I want to lose 3 stone, it's too daunting. So 1/2 stone targets are my aim. Now I have a dog, that is already helping with getting more exercise, next step is eating healthier food. It's more about the type of food I eat, than the amount. My biggest downfall, is not drinking enough water! But doing it as a group is really helpful, as there will always be someone having a good day, when you are having a bad one, that can empathise with you. It's not at all helpful when someone comes on to post, to rub in your failure. The Truth, you need to realise that most of us have lost weight, gained it, lost it.........etc, so we are all aware of the theory of weight loss. The problem is in the management of our emotional and mental states.

Blog Entries

lots of facts and figures
    Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970 View Post
    Maybe for some people, but the point is, not for everyone.

I don't doubt your figures (such as 70% diet and 30% exercise) were written in a respected report somewhere and they may well have worked for you, but I think what everyone is trying to get at is that everyone is different.

I've posted before what works for me, but I didn't post it as "matter of fact, this is what you need to do".

I know, for example, that a popular forumite has been literally exercising her ass off. However, I achieved my target weight recently (losing 2 stone) without diet or exercise, I merely changed the way I eat and the way I think about food. Now I intend to get fit and "tone-up" with exercise.

FWIW, I learnt last night that a new friend also lost loads of weight using the same method as I, after diet clubs didn't work for her.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    I'm in! You need to set yourself small goals. It's no good thinking, right I want to lose 3 stone, it's too daunting. So 1/2 stone targets are my aim.
    FWIW, when I started I threw the scales away and stopped weighing myself.

The reason being that your weight changes throughout the day, temperature, moisture and other things can affect the accuracy of your scales and if a combination of those things makes you think you've put on weight when you've been good, it can be enough to make you reach for comfort food.

I chose instead to measure my success by my waist size. I went from being uncomfortable in a 36" trouser (typical bloke, wear too tight trousers because I'm NOT that fat!), now my 34" trousers fall down without a belt.

Didn't say I was perfect................but I am very happy with my physical shape.
    Well to help with you maintain your ‘perfect shape’, ive put you into –ve rep land

For me its easy to say ‘life style changes’ and this time last year I weighed 2 stone less, it notice I felt good . I’m 17 stone but may not always look it as I get the extra or extra extra large tee shirts and am over 6ft. I got some patronising comments from a forumite at Southport but from her it was to be expected re my weight gain

My problem I go back time and time again to eating crap, especially when my GP gives me a clean bill of health

I’ve got no excuse now as I've gone back to dancing after a long break after June

How I stop having 8 pieces of chicken at 2.30am in the morning at Southport is another issue

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    I've posted before what works for me, but I didn't post it as "matter of fact, this is what you need to do".
    Absolutely.. ALL diets work in theory but its finding the method that suits you... one where you hopefully, don't feel deprived and depressed after 3 weeks.

FWIW, when I started I threw the scales away and stopped weighing myself.
    100% in agreement with you here... I can go up OR down literally 4lbs in a day. And have ended up feeling totally demoralised and thought, whats the point

But as you said before, you have to do what works for you!

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    My problem I go back time and time again to eating crap, especially when my GP gives me a clean bill of health
    I think we all have 'default' eating patterns and its soooo easy to slip back into bad habits, even though we 'know' what we're doing's wrong for us

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    Well to help with you maintain your ‘perfect shape’, ive put you into –ve rep land

For me its easy to say ‘life style changes’ and this time last year I weighed 2 stone less, it notice I felt good . I’m 17 stone but may not always look it as I get the extra or extra extra large tee shirts and am over 6ft. I got some patronising comments from a forumite at Southport but from her it was to be expected re my weight gain

I’ve got no excuse now as I've gone back to dancing after a long break after June

How I stop having 8 pieces of chicken at 2.30am in the morning at Southport is another issue
    Just show's that even when you get to target its a life long battle, I have had comments to me along the lines....well its easy for you yout at target........thats when the hard work beggins.

the wow factor has gone

wow...don't you look good

wow ....i'm loosing weight

wow......I can get into a smaller size

then your on your own and its easy to slip back.

S38 why is it expected to get a comment from some one at SP ? are they perfect after all beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970 View Post
    Maybe for some people, but the point is, not for everyone.
    I agree. I was just agreeing with TheTruth's basic facts. not the way he put them forward. Everyone is different. For some it's easier than others.

I achieved my target weight recently (losing 2 stone) without diet or exercise, I merely changed the way I eat and the way I think about food. Now I intend to get fit and "tone-up" with exercise.
    yeah, me too. I just changed my habits and the weight came off gradually. a long gradual loss is better (IMHO only) than a quick drastic plummet. I believe it's also better for you as well health wise.

Absolutely.. ALL diets work in theory but its finding the method that suits you... one where you hopefully, don't feel deprived and depressed after 3 weeks.
    I hope I didn't come across as preaching. I was just adding some data into the mix. Pick all, something or nothing from it as you see fit and discard the rest.

whatever way you slice it it boils down to that simple equation that TheTruth posted. Fuel taken in - Fuel expended = excess energy stored as fat. If you reduce the fuel taken in.. or increase the amount used up (BY whatever means) then you'll store less as fat. If you get the figures right then you'll have a negative excess and start to burn fat .. and therefore lose weight.

But as you said before, you have to do what works for you!

I think we all have 'default' eating patterns and its soooo easy to slip back into bad habits, even though we 'know' what we're doing's wrong for us
    That's SO true. I know what I SHOULD do and what I SHOULD eat. but I still find myself snacking on chocolate biscuits and then feeling guilty afterwards.

You have to accept that you'll have good days and bad days and sometimes your heart won't be in it. but in the long term if you have some plan.. WHATEVER it is.. if it works for you and you stick to it more often than not then you WILL lose weight

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    S38 why is it expected to get a comment from some one at SP ? are they perfect after all beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Someone said they have 'issues' to be fair not sure if there a forumite, doesnt matter

Anyway good example for me is the 256 biscuits you put by the DJ in blues room on sunday. i saw no one was eating them and i didnt want them to go off so had 'a few'

Quote Originally Posted by DD+ View Post
    Hi my name is DD , i was a food-a-holic! (Now its mainly just the wine!) i have lost a total of 7 stone and 4 lb (lost 2 at southport) BUT i still have another 2 stone to go.
    If you succeed, will you have to change your forum name?

I've been pondering a lot whether or not to post on one of those weight loss threads... I've finally decided to bite the bullet now.

Since I came in this country (4 years ago next week - and yesterday I realised one more year and I'm allowed to claim British citizenship ) I had put on about 11 kg. Mainly due to the type of food here, working on oil platforms for a year and having a terrible diet (the only good things are cakes), being too lazy to cook, and having a (very) sweet tooth and a tendency to go for comfort food.

Since January I have lost 5 kg (although I have been reluctant to weigh myself lately for fear this is may not be quite true anymore), so I am only just close to half way.
    The objective is to lose the other 6 kg by january.

Now that I have written it here, I am hoping that this will help me keep my commitment. Otherwise you'll all know that I am just a weak girl who can't even control her chocolate cravings .

Hopefully the next update on this thread will bring good news... Good luck to all the others who are in the same boat

Thread Information