Thread: Car hire recommendations

Car hire recommendations

Can anyone recommend a car hire company that they have used recently? Or alternatively have you any horror stories based on your experiences of using one? I am looking to hire maybe for a week or so until I get set up again with a car of my own.

Rob

Re: Car hire recommendations

Make sure you check every single inch of a hire car for any scuffs or dents etc, before you drive it and make sure any flaws are noted on your rental agreement, otherwise they will try and charge you for the damage.

If you shop around, dont just go for the cheapest, check how much te excess is, should there be an accident or break in etc.

Registered User Northants Girly's Avatar

A good place to start looking for quotes is Travelsupermarket.com.

I once needed a car for a week and I found my local Volkswagon garage had the best deal.

Abroad I've used eSixt and been happy with them.

I know you're not looking for something abroad but I was given some good advice re this the other week. If you get a quote from say eSixt using their .co.uk website and compare it to an identical quote from their .com website (maybe in Euros) you'll often find that the .com site is cheaper. So basically, if they see you are from the UK you will get charged more!

national aren't bad used them earlier this year personally - pick up Sat in Reading return in Edinburgh late Monday around £80-£100 and several guys at work have used them for weekend hires and haven't had any complaints - they mostly offer unlimited milage

also use rabbit a lot for work - but thats mostly long term hire

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Yliander View Post
    also use *rabbit* a lot for work - but thats mostly long term hire
    Where do you work?!? And how does this help Rob??

Last edited by CJ; 19th-September-2007 at 04:32 PM.

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

I wouldnt use Sixt at all but thats because i used to work for them and i know what goes on!!!!

I used to use Arnold Clarke in Scotland but dont know if they do england and i use enterprise over here!

[QUOTE=robd;410482]Can anyone recommend a car hire company that they have used recently? Or alternatively have you any horror stories based on your experiences of using one? I am looking to hire maybe for a week or so until I get set up again with a car of my own.{/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by drathzel View Post
    I wouldnt use Sixt at all but thats because i used to work for them and i know what goes on!!!!

I used to use Arnold Clarke in Scotland but dont know if they do england and i use enterprise over here!
    My old work switched from Budget to Arnold Clarke, and I don't think we ever had a problem with Arnold Clarke, and they were accomodating.

I'd strongly recommend NEVER using Easyrentacar - their customer service is pants. Whilst they may be slightly cheaper than a big name (Budget et al), they have a habit of overbooking, and you can end up stranded without a car. Several friends have commented if Easyrentacar do overbook, they just close the rental office, so you have no idea of what is going on. I'd use another company, as it's just not worth the hassle.

I used to work for Enterprise rent a car! They are a good company and usually reasonably priced. I've recommended them to lots of people and always had good comments back.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Georgious dancer View Post
    I used to work for Enterprise rent a car! They are a good company and usually reasonably priced. I've recommended them to lots of people and always had good comments back.
    Excellent and they pick me and at end of rental take me home, Excellent prices and great mid range cars with often upgrades and I had some mice motors!! 10 times in last 3 years, no complaints in fact Ive already booked three more up to Sept next year!!

Thread Information