Thread: Butterflies

An Eclectic Toaster

Butterflies

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    "Orenthal James - what the hell's that about? It's that idiot Shnikov posting - he can go to hell I'll read this thread about butterflies."
    I've always considered the disappearance of the Large Blue from the UK a conservation tragedy.

Commercial Operator

Re: Butterflies

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart M View Post
    I've always considered the disappearance of the Large Blue from the UK a conservation tragedy.

Funny thing - I so rarely see butterflies nowadays. When I was a kid, they were all over the place. Saw a Red Admiral the other day, and it was literally the first I'd seen in years

I'm sure I've seen one of those blue ones round here. Then again, there's millions of butterflies about. Can't seem to avoid the little buggers!

Wendy Craig was pretty cute.. but I prefered Felicity Kendal in "The Good Life" !!

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970 View Post

Wendy Craig was pretty cute.. but I prefered Felicity Kendal in "The Good Life" !!
    Oh yes indeedy, Felicity could cause a cute flutter by 'eck she could !!

What a little brammer (as in aah) with a nosilley rabbity wriggley squitch and a troublesome twinkle !!

Wendy Craig was pretty cute..

Ya think? That nose could pierce armour plating...

Donna

The only ones I've seen around the last few years are the usual white ones and a couple of yellow (don't know the name of them sorry.) Anyone ever been in a houseful of Atlas butterflies? You wouldn't think they were real until you touch them....they're huge! Roughly around the same size as both your hands put together.

Quote Originally Posted by Donna View Post
    The only ones I've seen around the last few years are the usual white ones and a couple of yellow (don't know the name of them sorry.)
    Cabbage White's and Brimstones I expect!

It is a massive conservation problem but its also because of the the decline in the meadows within Britain. Though it has been re-introduced several times it just doesn't seen to be surviving.

Similar case with the Cappercallies (woodland Grouse, Bloody big bird) that has been reintroduced several times but with no avail the numbers are still dwindling but that is due to lack of natural habitat.

And it is an depressing thing to see but the scientist state the cause and what is done about it? thats right nothing, because science has no real value nowadays and environmental science is completely over looked, unless its climate change or global warming. Hardly anyone pays attention to the small things, i.e the butterflies, Cappercallie, Red squirrel, Dolphins, Porpoise etc individual species are over looked. but when its climate change we all have to jump and do something. Why? cause the Media says so!!!!

Sorry rant over

An Eclectic Toaster

As problematic as the invasive animals are, the invasive plants are worse. Every riverbank and railway embankment seems to be plagued with Giant hogweed or Japanese knotweed these days...

Quote Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
    It is a massive conservation problem but its also because of the the decline in the meadows within Britain. Though it has been re-introduced several times it just doesn't seen to be surviving.

Similar case with the Cappercallies (woodland Grouse, Bloody big bird) that has been reintroduced several times but with no avail the numbers are still dwindling but that is due to lack of natural habitat.

And it is an depressing thing to see but the scientist state the cause and what is done about it? thats right nothing, because science has no real value nowadays and environmental science is completely over looked, unless its climate change or global warming. Hardly anyone pays attention to the small things, i.e the butterflies, Cappercallie, Red squirrel, Dolphins, Porpoise etc individual species are over looked. but when its climate change we all have to jump and do something. Why? cause the Media says so!!!!

Sorry rant over

Excellent rant - have some rep!

Here in the Stroud Valleys, we seem to do pretty well for butterlies, moths and flies and in our garden (which is next to a field), we are keeping some stinging nettles and buddliah to encourage them.

We are really lucky to have a badger sett in the garden as well as deer taking a roam through every few days, squirrels, hawks, owls to name a few. We have quite a few trees and are looking to plant some more - blommin hard work though!

Elaine

Blog Entries

I saw Wendy Craig recently in some or other period drama about a hospital. She was Matron

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineB View Post

Excellent rant - have some rep!

Here in the Stroud Valleys, we seem to do pretty well for butterlies, moths and flies and in our garden (which is next to a field), we are keeping some stinging nettles and buddliah to encourage them.

We are really lucky to have a badger sett in the garden as well as deer taking a roam through every few days, squirrels, hawks, owls to name a few. We have quite a few trees and are looking to plant some more - blommin hard work though!

Elaine

If you need help you can advertise elsewhere and hopefully people will chip in (though don't let the location of the badger sett be known). Are the squirrels Red or grey? (Please say red, as they are native to Britain) if they are conifer trees like Scots pine would suit them perfectly.

As for the Stinging nettles and the buddliah are good as is sorrel and hops is good for moths (if you like them). A good way to get an idea of the moth species in your area is to get a white sheet and Shine a bright torch on it and the moths will be attracted to the sheet. and should land long enough to be able to get a picture or (if you have a books explaining the identity of different Moth species) you would be able to get a list of the different species.

Hope the work goes well.

Thread Information