Thread: Fancy dress at Southport would you make changes ?

Fancy dress at Southport would you make changes ?

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post

Fancy dress: Parade system didn't work well. Judges on inside, audience on outside, too many people, too much time, audience can't see who's being picked, etc. Not sure how to fix that. Possibly pick finalists during social dancing before cabaret? Finalists were all excellent. I'd have preferred finalists to have been judged individually.

I like the idea of dressing up didn’t this time but think it’s a good idea and adds to the party atmosphere.

I don’t think it work too well this time anyway, i know its fun but a lot of people put a lot of effort in (Dont see Jon and Wes dressing up much these days )

Firstly buttons wanted to split men and women up . As some were in groups that didn’t help (A ‘group actually one it. The group double from 2 to 4 in the voting stage !).

What id do is have a group (2+) and ‘individual’ comp and keep to a wide theme.

Leave 3 individuals and 3 groups on (voted by judges) then let the audience decide (we are better at marking then judges) who wins

Re: Fancy dress at Southport would you make changes ?

after reading the sp aftermath thread and this i wanted to write something and if im honest i dont see what all the fuss is about. its all meant to be fun - or thats what we thought!!!! and i definitely agree with stewart38 - it does add to the party atmosphere and gives you the chance to let your hair down and be silly - we did!! in response, i also thought panto was a really wide theme!

as part of the 'group' that won i can honestly say we didnt expect to win as a group. okay we wanted to walk round together as the theme was shown off that way(which i think is acceptable - and i dont see the merit in splitting up the men and women at the parade stage) but we expected the judging to be done on individual effort- which i still think it was. and the group didnt double from 2 to 4 in the judging stage - there were infact 10 of us, 4 of whom were picked individually by the judges during the parade so we still didnt see it as a group entry!- however to get 4 from our group picked on their own merit for the final 12 was quite amazing! we did put a lot of effort in - lemoncake and i were sewing for a long time and the make up alone took ages but it was great fun!

we did it as a group so we could have some fun getting ready, and as a group of friends we encouraged each other to have a laugh - much required as everyone we spoke to during the day said they werent bothering this year -i for one was nervous and for the guys who had the gall to wear those outfits ( to Rythym king, mcjester and pretzelmeister for that!) that was what was needed! however as i said, if someone was going to win,we still thought it would be one person only so that was a surprise to us too.

i understand the men and women prizes and that worked fine for me.a group section may be an idea but that would mean another prize for jon and wes unless it is cut to one individual and one group prize, like said here. but i think you'd find a lot more people enter as groups than individuals if that becomes the case. i dont think i would make many changes altho the parade was crowded and i dont know if all the costumes were seen by everyone - that could have been longer! however i dont know how judging could be better - all things like this ive seen are judged in this way!

i have to pass on my thanks to jon and wes for the prize and if the theme is a good one we'll be having a go again in feb -albeit with the under pars as competition itl be tough - however it is all about the taking part - we did it to have a laugh and we cetainly did that -the win was a bonus!! i also want to give my to the wicked witch, "cast" of cinderella (2 people), pitta pan (ingenious) and pant o' mime - their costumes were fab!i dont agree that the baby should have won from the sp thread - ok - it was brave of him to go out like that but i for one had no idea how that fitted into the panto theme.

For me, the theme of panto lent itself to a few of us getting costumes from the same show - the next theme may well not do that!

phew - sorry this is so long hope it makes sense and iv not annoyed anyone!!

C x

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    I like the idea of dressing up didn’t this time but think it’s a good idea and adds to the party atmosphere.

I don’t think it work too well this time anyway, i know its fun but a lot of people put a lot of effort in (Dont see Jon and Wes dressing up much these days )

Firstly buttons wanted to split men and women up . As some were in groups that didn’t help (A ‘group actually one it. The group double from 2 to 4 in the voting stage !).

What id do is have a group (2+) and ‘individual’ comp and keep to a wide theme.

Leave 3 individuals and 3 groups on (voted by judges) then let the audience decide (we are better at marking then judges) who wins

Yes. I'd wear something a lot cooler.

not surprised!!!!
    C x
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhythm King View Post
    Yes. I'd wear something a lot cooler.

I can't really comment on what happened at the last Southport weekender - not having been there but generally, I think the entrants should be judged as individuals. I think it's easier all round that way, judging, prize giving etc.

I have to say though that it's all purely for fun and we shouldn't get bogged down worrying about the trivialities. I dressed up for the first time in June and missed the competition bit altogether but no matter, I had a really fun evening and would definitely dress up again. In fact, I can be quite shy and I thought the costume would make me shyer but it actually broke the ice on many occasions and was a definite conversation starter so no regrets there!

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by littlewiggle View Post
    I can't really comment on what happened at the last Southport weekender - not having been there but generally, I think the entrants should be judged as individuals. I think it's easier all round that way, judging, prize giving etc.

I have to say though that it's all purely for fun and we shouldn't get bogged down worrying about the trivialities. I dressed up for the first time in June and missed the competition bit altogether but no matter, I had a really fun evening and would definitely dress up again. In fact, I can be quite shy and I thought the costume would make me shyer but it actually broke the ice on many occasions and was a definite conversation starter so no regrets there!
    How do you work the prizes awarded to male and females in fancy dress when many men were dressed as women and women as men. I think in June a prize to one of the ladies, was actually a male!

Thread Information