Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Dancing out of beat

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Dancing out of beat

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    I force them to lead in time by taking over.
    That must be some novel use of the term "lead" then.

This might be the wrong way
    It definitely is.

, but it looks awful when you see some poor follower trying desperately hard to make some kind of sense of a rhythmless numpty.
    That's life. It's a lead-and-follow dance; the leader defines the overall terms and parameters of the dance.

If he defines it poorly, that's unfortunate, but it's not a wrestling match. If you're not prepared to subordinate control that much, then you should learn to lead - which, effectively, is what you're doing in that instance already.

Follow the lead. He's not deliberately dancing off beat, he's probably a relative beginner and is struggling enough as it is.

I would try to 'nudge' him back on the beat, in case he's just lost it because he's been so focused on a move, but if he really goes off it again I wouldn't keep doing that and I wouldn't force him back on beat - that would only make it harder for him.

Totally different if its someone I know and dance with regularly (or am likely to dance with regularly) and I know they are a relative beginner, I'd probably say 'we're a bit off the beat' and back lead an arm jive to get him back on the beat. I'd make sure I said 'we' so he wouldn't feel as bad. (But then as I'm 'crew' at our local venues I can do that.)

If a stranger at a freestyle I'd follow his timing. Much as its hard to dance against the music, its only one track and its not going to do me any harm, but spending the whole dance 'fighting' with the lead isn't pleasant for either of us, at least if I'm following him he is probably enjoying the dance even if I'm not!

I guess the question is, when dancing with folks who lack basic skills such as being on-beat, would I prefer to look like a bad dancer, or be a bad dancer?

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    I guess the question is, when dancing with folks who lack basic skills such as being on-beat, would I prefer to look like a bad dancer, or be a bad dancer?
    Can you be a bad dancer and not look like a bad dancer?
    If you cannot your choiced are to bea bad dancer, and look like one, or be a good dancer that is looking like a bad dancer.

A good follow follows.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    I can think of at least one person who looks fantastic when she dances, but who makes you feel like you're wrestling an angry gorilla when you dance with her. She looks great but doesn't really follow. Is she a bad dancer?

Yes!

there are one or 2 who can give the impression to most that they are half decent... but they are in fact fairly poor.

well that 2 of us that think so..

At this time of night you are out-numbered BigDJiver

Quote Originally Posted by NZ Monkey View Post
    I can think of at least one person who looks fantastic when she dances, but who makes you feel like you're wrestling an angry gorilla when you dance with her. She looks great but doesn't really follow. Is she a bad dancer?
    It would depend if you are actually leading her, perhaps she may think you are a bad lead and it may feel like wrestling a gorilla because she is not being controlled with any direction. However, there are some follows who are terrible at following due to lack of experience mainly. This is where a follow could seek a private lesson rather than ask others in rotation at class.
    I have been watching youtube ceroc and mj dancers and one thing in the social dance scene that is rampant.............most of the male leads hold their lead hand at chest height! So it is little wonder that any follow can follow, yet the leads complain about a lack of a good follow (often on the forum), when it is actually them that is the problem....................

Quote Originally Posted by Thetruth View Post
    It would depend if you are actually leading her, perhaps she may think you are a bad lead and it may feel like wrestling a gorilla because she is not being controlled with any direction. However, there are some follows who are terrible at following due to lack of experience mainly. This is where a follow could seek a private lesson rather than ask others in rotation at class.
    I have been watching youtube ceroc and mj dancers and one thing in the social dance scene that is rampant.............most of the male leads hold their lead hand at chest height! So it is little wonder that any follow can follow, yet the leads complain about a lack of a good follow (often on the forum), when it is actually them that is the problem....................
    I'll just have to let the forum ladies who know me jump to my defence there if any can be bothered and thinks I'm worthy enough. If no-one does then I'll just have to sit back and cry into my milk.

Of course, the fact that it takes literally twice the amount of force to move her than anyone I've ever danced with is no way an indication that I may have a point......

Blog Entries

I can think of at least one person who looks fantastic when she dances, but who makes you feel like you're wrestling an angry gorilla when you dance with her.

Hmmm, I wonder if it's the same person...?

Blog Entries

It would depend if you are actually leading her, perhaps she may think you are a bad lead and it may feel like wrestling a gorilla because she is not being controlled with any direction.
    I've not danced with NZ Monkey, but he certainly looks like a good dancer - and from what others tell me, he also feels like one too.

However, there are some follows who are terrible at following due to lack of experience mainly.
    The follower I'm thinking of is higly-experienced - a competition-winner, in fact - but still literally a nightmare to dance with.

I have been watching youtube ceroc and mj dancers and one thing in the social dance scene that is rampant.............most of the male leads hold their lead hand at chest height!
    I often hold my lead hand at around chest height - for example, in close hold - what's wrong with that?

Yep - have had the 'he looks good' about a lead to discover 'but isn't comfortable to dance with' a few times. And yes sometimes ones who are perceived to be 'very good' - but maybe they are only good when dancing with their regular partners. (Maybe why some 'good' dancers like to dance in their little 'cliques' because they can't actually dance as well with less familiar or less experienced partners?)

The other way round - some leads don't look good at all, but feel lovely to follow.

In my humble experience women are better at finding and keeping the beat than the men. At risk of being controversial they also have slightly less to do.

I have been dancing a few years in various styles but at least once per night I have a problem finding the beat.

Up to this point ;
    I have selected a partner making sure to include people who have sat out for ages.
    Been rejected by her and her friend
    Been accepted by no 3 and negotiated our way to a space through the drink fetchers and gossiping couples. (some potential for listening to the music here but ...)
    now this unfamiliar tune has me moving but I know its wrong. so I say
    "Can you just help me with the beat" If I do not know this partner the bubble comes out of their head thinking "I've got three mins of teeth gritting coming up"
    If I do know the partner they just help and we have a nice dance.

The Ladies are better at it than us so ask for help.

Zuhal

I probably should have said, "dance badly vs look bad". For example, if I'm leading a novice follower I can try to look good by overleading her, so she "gets" the moves and we look ok, even though overleading is a bad habit. Alternatively, I can lead her correctly, and allow her to make mistakes, even though that probably doesn't make us look so good.
    Back on topic, the same choice applies to backleading a novice lead vs going with it. Mind you, the true dance gods look fabulous regardless of who they're dancing with. Very jealousy-invoking.

Quote Originally Posted by under par View Post
    Yes!

there are one or 2 who can give the impression to most that they are half decent... but they are in fact fairly poor.
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    I probably should have said, "dance badly vs look bad". For example, if I'm leading a novice follower I can try to look good by overleading her, so she "gets" the moves and we look ok, even though overleading is a bad habit. Alternatively, I can lead her correctly, and allow her to make mistakes, even though that probably doesn't make us look so good.
    Back on topic, the same choice applies to backleading a novice lead vs going with it. Mind you, the true dance gods look fabulous regardless of who they're dancing with. Very jealousy-invoking.
    There is a difference between good dancer and good partner dancer, and a difference between good dancer and good lead or good follow.
    There is the "man the frame, the woman the picture" style, and the man can look suitably wooden, but nobody looks at him. Alternately the man can be "all flash" and the woman can be little more than the nearest spectator. You can see this in some "dance with a stranger" comps, and I can believe that that is the best dance possible in that situation. If the partnership cannot agree where the beat is those styles may be the best dance possible too.
    One reaction to an impossible lead is to practise triple spins and shines, be in no hurry to take the guys hand.

I'll just have to let the forum ladies who know me jump to my defence there if any can be bothered and thinks I'm worthy enough. If no-one does then I'll just have to sit back and cry into my milk.

Of course, the fact that it takes literally twice the amount of force to move her than anyone I've ever danced with is no way an indication that I may have a point......
    The simian one has a gentle but clear lead (Good enough to be able to continue to lead me even when I was blinded by certain women with flash cameras )

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post

What do you guys do when your dance partner is not dancing to the tune/rhytm of the music being played?
    This is like answering 'what do you do when someone is talking to you and you are totally bored?' There is no one answer since every situation is different.

If it is a close friend it might be fine to say 'ok, bored now, lets talk about this..'
    If it is someone you will never meet again, and they are leaving in a couple of minutes, you might just wait it out.
    If it is someone you just met but will talk with for a long time you may try to change the subject without them noticing.
    If it is someone you speak with often, and they always bore you by talking about cars, then one day you might probaby say something like 'I love you and want to keep talking with you, but I hate talking about cars. Can we just avoid it? I've had a difficult experience with a particular car.'

It depends on the person, the ego and the situation, but I would try and get people to dance on beat when possible. Yes you should be following, but when you agreed to follow you probably assumed you would be following a dance to the music. Dancing to the beat in your partners head is not what you signed up for.

Unless he says 'Hi. I don't like this music. I have a great track playing in my head though, would you like to dance to it?' Then it is your call.

I'll vouch for NZ's fabulous leading skills, even though he did dessert us Smooth, clear and inventive

now I just have to hope it wasn't me he was talking about...

The Oracle

The first thing you should do is make sure it is not you that is on the wrong beat. No matter how good you think you are, or how bad you think your partner is, it is still a 50% chance that you are wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidB View Post
    The first thing you should do is make sure it is not you that is on the wrong beat.

I've had a few dances with people who are accomplished and experienced dancers and it's as though we are listening to different records. Of course this may not equate necessarily to being on the wrong beat but it does make me realise I shouldn't always assume it's the other person that's wrong.

Thread Information