Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fujioptics FF-500 Digital Camera (Don't Buy One!!)

Fujioptics FF-500 Digital Camera (Don't Buy One!!)

I'm just back from Lanzarote after a week long break, while there I bought a Fujioptics FF-500 Digital Camera (€270 incl. 1Gb SD card) and I'm warning anyone who is planning to go to the Canaries not to make the same mistake. The Asian (Indian) salesman implied the camera was manufactured by Fuji; it is not! It is cheap Chinese crap, I tried several searches on Google for Fujioptics (looking for the manufacturer) and all led to common searches from holiday makers who had been similarly shafted.

Re: Fujioptics FF-500 Digital Camera (Don't Buy One!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Doolan View Post
    I'm just back from Lanzarote after a week long break, while there I bought a Fujioptics FF-500 Digital Camera (€270 incl. 1Gb SD card) and I'm warning anyone who is planning to go to the Canaries not to make the same mistake. The Asian (Indian) [SIZE=-1]salesman implied the camera was manufactured by Fuji; it is not! It is cheap Chinese crap, I tried several searches on Google for Fujioptics (looking for the manufacturer) and all led to common searches from holiday makers who had been similarly shafted.
    You must be gutted.

You could, of course, claim against the retailer (under European law, 'passing off' would be as much of a breach there as here), but unless he said outright that it was a Fuji, or unless the 'get up' of the box was obviously designed to confuse purchasers into thinking there is an association with Fuji, it'd be a bit of a gamble.

What do you think the true value of the camera would be - is it total rubbish, or just not worth what you paid for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    You must be gutted.

What do you think the true value of the camera would be - is it total rubbish, or just not worth what you paid for it?
    I was probably still angry as I drafted the post last night for allowing myself to be shafted, as I'd just realised that I'd bought a squib and described the camera as crap, so here are the main specs:

12 Megapixel optics (4032 x 3024 at 96dpi)
    1 1/2" CMOS
    30fps QVGA Video
    8x DIGITAL only, zoom
    3" COG LCD Disply
    Video Out
    High speed USB2, but the camera isn't recognised by 2 PCs and 3 Laptops
    Touch screen controls

It's a really neat (95mm x 60mm x 21mm) and impressive looking camera and the specs sound good but I couldn't get the camera to connect to any PCs so had to use a card reader to transfer my videos and photos, the video quality is worse than that on my Samsung D600 and the image quality ranges from not bad to terrible, when viewed using Photoshop CS3.
    I haven't the remotest idea of its true value but it's nowhere near what I paid for it.
    I brought my Sony DCR 30Gb HD video camera with me to Lanzarote, so all was not lost but I did a tour of the south of the island and only took the Fujioptics with me, so last night I viewed around 200 blurred, out of focus, under/over exposed crappy photos !!

By the way:
    I ordered a Sony W55, £116 from Amazon this morning, gates and horses come to mind!

I know I have to spend a lot more for a really good camera but I only want a small, light weight camera to take with me when hill walking in Scotland, my video camera is way too heavy.

I have a Canon compact and D-SLR, would recommend Canon for a compact - their Ixus series is very good.

in a world of my own... where people are nice and there's lots of honey!

Has anyone got an opinion/experience with a Lumix tZ3??

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mezzosoprano View Post
    Has anyone got an opinion/experience with a Lumix tZ3??
    if thats the brand new one then i got it! its fab! easy to use, good picture quality and it has a little bump that you can curl your hand around!

oh and i got it at a really good price!

EDIT- opps mine is the LZ7

in a world of my own... where people are nice and there's lots of honey!

Quote Originally Posted by drathzel View Post
    if thats the brand new one then i got it! its fab! easy to use, good picture quality and it has a little bump that you can curl your hand around!

oh and i got it at a really good price!

EDIT- opps mine is the LZ7
    whats the spec for the LZ7 then?

Personally I wouldn't recommend a real Fuji for a DSLR anyway. Mine drives me up the wall!

But I agree that the Canon Ixus makes for a good compact, I just got mine, it's love

xXx

I was probably still angry as I drafted the post last night for allowing myself to be shafted, as I'd just realised that I'd bought a squib and described the camera as crap, so here are the main specs:

12 Megapixel optics (4032 x 3024 at 96dpi)
    1 1/2" CMOS
    30fps QVGA Video
    8x DIGITAL only, zoom
    3" COG LCD Disply
    Video Out
    High speed USB2, but the camera isn't recognised by 2 PCs and 3 Laptops
    Touch screen controls

It's a really neat (95mm x 60mm x 21mm) and impressive looking camera and the specs sound good but I couldn't get the camera to connect to any PCs so had to use a card reader to transfer my videos and photos, the video quality is worse than that on my Samsung D600 and the image quality ranges from not bad to terrible, when viewed using Photoshop CS3.
    I haven't the remotest idea of its true value but it's nowhere near what I paid for it.
    I brought my Sony DCR 30Gb HD video camera with me to Lanzarote, so all was not lost but I did a tour of the south of the island and only took the Fujioptics with me, so last night I viewed around 200 blurred, out of focus, under/over exposed crappy photos !!

By the way:
    I ordered a Sony W55, £116 from Amazon this morning, gates and horses come to mind!

I know I have to spend a lot more for a really good camera but I only want a small, light weight camera to take with me when hill walking in Scotland, my video camera is way too heavy.
    I hate to say it, but if you are keen enough on photography to have CS3, you ought to have realised that a Fuji-made 12mp camera was not going to be on sale for less than £200.

Only 12mp cameras I've seen are Canon and Nikon and they're SLRs and over a grand. (There was a Kodak 14mp camera but that was universally panned and priced at two and half grand.)

Best place for info about cameras you might want to buy is dpreview.com.

Their reviews are better than anything in print, bar none. More detailed, more informative, more comprehensive. Plus, they go back for yonks whereas it's usually a nightmare to get a review of anything but the latest cameras in the magazines.

I hate to say it, but if you are keen enough on photography to have CS3, you ought to have realised that a Fuji-made 12mp camera was not going to be on sale for less than £200.

Only 12mp cameras I've seen are Canon and Nikon and they're SLRs and over a grand. (There was a Kodak 14mp camera but that was universally panned and priced at two and half grand.)

C'mon Barry, show a little sympathy , I thought I was getting a good deal and developments in digital photography are coming so quickly nobody can keep up with them and the salesman was VERY, VERY good .

By the way, I don't use CS3 for photography as such, I use it for image manipulation; I know there are cheaper ways of doing that but I've been using PS since v2 and just keep upgrading .

Quote Originally Posted by Mezzosoprano View Post
    whats the spec for the LZ7 then?
    see here and here

they come in different colours depending where you buy it (apparently) i got lucky and mine was BLUE!!!!

see here and here

they come in different colours depending where you buy it (apparently) i got lucky and mine was BLUE!!!!
    See, that's the difference between men and women. What difference does it make what colour a camera is?

See, that's the difference between men and women. What difference does it make what colour a camera is?
    Blue is my favorite colour, i have to have it everywhere! So having a blue camera makes me happy! Saying that if they only had it in silver i would have taken it in silver!

"I saw a really nice sports car this morning"
    "Oh yes - what was it?"
    "A red one"

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTomato View Post

"I saw a really nice sports car this morning"
    "Oh yes - what was it?"
    "A red one"

EXCUSE ME i know my cars!

EXCUSE ME i know my cars!
    Then you're a wonderful exception. Viva la difference!

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTomato View Post
    Then you're a wonderful exception. Viva la difference!
    so, anyway, cameras!

I'm just back and in a vulnerable moment, carried away with the joy of being on holiday, I bought one to, I consider myself to know a wee bit about stills cameras, so I should have known better as well. I was lucky enough to get away with £90, But don't feel so bad we all make a stupid buy at some time.

8x DIGITAL only, zoom
    Dead giveaway, worth about £40 at most. Digital zoom counts for almost nothing.

I just bought a Nikon S600, not used it much, but got some reasonable indoor dance photos with it. Very simple, which I find a bit disapointing - although it seems to work.

Thread Information