Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 9 / 11

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

9 / 11

Another memorable date...

So, where were you?

6 years on, what are your feelings?

Are we winning the "War on Terror"? Losing it? Does it even exist?

Re: 9 / 11

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post

So, where were you?

6 years on, what are your feelings?

Do NOT get me started.

By the way, in the UK we say 11/9. 9/11 is the day after the eighth of November.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

its not really a memorable date - it wasnt the 9th of November after all was it

September 11th is though.

personally i was Teaching a class of 1 how to use an application server; in Farringdon, London. I then phoned my family in New Jersey to see if they were all right, got through no problem at all strangely. turns out my brothers girlfriend was in a building close by that had all its windows blown out. All were ok though.

An Eclectic Toaster

As you may have noted, DJ, my tactic now in the "War on Mournography" is to go round loudly celebrating all the good things which happen on these dates.
    Wish I'd thought of it a couple of weeks back, when we could have been celebrating Thomas Edison inventing the cinema projector, marking Trinidad & Tobago's independence and wishing happy birthday to Van Morrison, Martin Bell, and Richard Gere.

Amusingly, you can say "No" three times here and it makes sense, even though the first and second ones directly contradict each other

Edit: having read BS's post, I would like to ask the mods to change the subject heading to proper British dating format. Or European: I can live with dots instead of slashes but putting the month ahead of the day makes no sense...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    Do NOT get me started.
    You're posting on a thread to say you're not posting on the thread? That's very Zen (one hand)

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    By the way, in the UK we say 11/9. 9/11 is the day after the eighth of November.
    No, we say "nine-eleven" to refer to the date, no one says "eleven-nine"...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart M View Post
    Edit: having read BS's post, I would like to ask the mods to change the subject heading to proper British dating format. Or European: I can live with dots instead of slashes but putting the month ahead of the day makes no sense...
    Ah, but like it or loathe it, it's what the event will always be known as. And with it being in the US, it's not unreasonable to use their conventions.

Presumably, the London bombers chose 7th July to avoid causing such a dilemma?

An Eclectic Toaster

No, we say "nine-eleven" to refer to the date, no one says "eleven-nine"...
    I don't. I say "the 11th of September " to avoid any possible confusion.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart M View Post
    I don't. I say "the 11th of September " to avoid any possible confusion.
    I use "september the 11th" - no one, except yanks and the media, uses "911" surely - weirdos.

Blog Entries

I was in the air flying back from holiday when this happened. There was a delay landing and we were kept in the air for quite a while and had no idea what had gone on until our driver picked us up and we watched it in the car on the way home. When we landed the airport was like an army base. Police, army and guns everywhere.

I have a theory about this event. Just hear me out.

I think and i am a true believer that the Americans did this themselves to enable them to attack the middle east to get their hands on all the oil and have the power.

What do you think?

{meant to be a quote here but forgot and don't know how to insert it}
    So, ..... do you refer to a French event on 14th July as "Jail Day" or do you use their name for the event?

On train
    Requires much more than a one line answer
    Depends if you subscribe to a Straussian NeoCon world view. (I don't)
    Last edited by boardrider; 11th-September-2007 at 11:03 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Presumably, the London bombers chose 7th July to avoid causing such a dilemma?
    That occurred to me too, but I thought - nahh, that's too nasty a comment to make.

Palindromic bombers...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    What do you think?
    I think you need to put your analyst on danger money.

in a world of my own... where people are nice and there's lots of honey!

I will never forget it - for other reasons. I was in Austria, in a lovely wee town called Hallstadt.... it was beautiful and we did the salt mine tour (sounds awful but it was awesome!) with a lovely American couple. I was nearly 6 months pregnant with my first baby..... we were having a wonderful time...

We returned to our rented chalet in Bad Aussee and there was a film on Austrian tv, a disaster movie, but then I realised it wasn't a film because then the ticker tape CNN stuff came across the bottom of the screen and it kept repeating the same shots. We were trying so hard to understand what was going on because Craig has no German and mine is very sketchy.

That night I got very sick. I had very bad pains and cold sweats - I thought I had eaten something that had upset me..... I hadn't. My baby (Donald) died that night and I didn't know it for a further 3 weeks..... the 11th of September is a bad day for so many reasons....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mezzosoprano View Post

That night I got very sick. I had very bad pains and cold sweats - I thought I had eaten something that had upset me..... I hadn't. My baby (Donald) died that night and I didn't know it for a further 3 weeks..... the 11th of September is a bad day for so many reasons....

sorry

Blog Entries

My baby (Donald) died that night and I didn't know it for a further 3 weeks..... the 11th of September is a bad day for so many reasons....
    Aw. Bloody hell. That's just wretched.

Commercial Operator

I happenned to have switched on the TV at lunchtime and caught the drama before the 2nd plane crashed into the other tower. I couldn't believe what I was seeing

Is there a war on terror? Of course there is. Is it effective and are we winning? Not so sure. But to leave such evil unopposed is not really an option either.

One thing I am sure of is that we are not winning the propaganda war. But that war will not be won whilst there is ignorance and bigotry in the world. The UK and the USA have not got their house in order in either of these fronts. Which makes it even worse that we are trying to "educate" Iraq and Afghanistan in the ways of democracy. Perhaps they see inactivity as "standing idly by" and allowing the triumph of evil.

One question I have; is there anybody who thinks the terrorists are right to do what they did?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    I use "september the 11th" - no one, except yanks and the media, uses "911" surely - weirdos.
    Or anyone in America calling the emergency services...

I was at my girlfriend's house. The day before I had taken an American couple who I started chatting to on the underground up to the part of the uni they wanted to visit, being as it was on the way. They were flying back into America on the day it all kicked off...I've always wondered how badly delayed they were.

I think and i am a true believer that the Americans did this themselves to enable them to attack the middle east to get their hands on all the oil and have the power.

What do you think?
    I think if the Americans wanted an excuse to get into the Middle East, then they'd have played the Iraq card earlier. Whether their intelligence organisations knew about the potential for this attack beforehand, I doubt we'll ever know, but I do doubt it was an American-orchestrated event.

I will never forget it - for other reasons. I was in Austria, in a lovely wee town called Hallstadt.... it was beautiful and we did the salt mine tour (sounds awful but it was awesome!) with a lovely American couple. I was nearly 6 months pregnant with my first baby..... we were having a wonderful time...

~snip~

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

I was in the air flying back from holiday when this happened. There was a delay landing and we were kept in the air for quite a while and had no idea what had gone on until our driver picked us up and we watched it in the car on the way home. When we landed the airport was like an army base. Police, army and guns everywhere.

I have a theory about this event. Just hear me out.

What do you think?
    I think you seriously need to get an analyst if you havent got one already.

We returned to our rented chalet in Bad Aussee and there was a film on Austrian tv, a disaster movie, but then I realised it wasn't a film because then the ticker tape CNN stuff came across the bottom of the screen and it kept repeating the same shots. We were trying so hard to understand what was going on because Craig has no German and mine is very sketchy.

I'm so sorry .......with all my heart!

Thread Information