Thread: Babies and air travel...

Re: Madeline

Moved from the "Madeleine" thread - DavidJames

Case in point went to Maldives recently 10.5 hr flight a couple took there 7 month baby with them, it cried most of the way. Im not saying they were bad parents just bloody irresponsible

Its down to the need need must have

No one suggest you can keep a eye on a child 24/7 but hell this was different
    Last edited by David Bailey; 10th-September-2007 at 03:40 PM.

Blog Entries

Babies and air travel...

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    Case in point went to Maldives recently 10.5 hr flight a couple took there 7 month baby with them, it cried most of the way. Im not saying they were bad parents just bloody irresponsible
    It's not that unusual for babies to cry a lot, Stewart. Taking them on the same flight as you doesn't make them irresponsible just because it annoys you.

ICase in point went to Maldives recently 10.5 hr flight a couple took there 7 month baby with them, it cried most of the way. Im not saying they were bad parents just bloody irresponsible
    Baking Powder?

Irresponsible for taking their child on holiday? Get over yourself.

I took my kids on planes when they were babies. My daughter once cried non-stop on a 5 hour plane journey. The bloke behind me was doing his nut...saying pretty much what you said "shouldn't be allowed, blah, blah, blah".

What a load of old pony.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

I'd actually agree with Stewart here, taking a child under a year on any long haul flight is pretty ...ok not irresponsible as such, but certainly very selfish. Course, every situation is different and you've got to allow for the fact that the parents have a good reason Case in point: My sister is coming over from Canada with her 9 month old to visit family - doesnt have a lot of choice in ther matter - cant expect every family member to fly over there. Mind you, thats me being selfish too

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    I'd actually agree with Stewart here, taking a child under a year on any long haul flight is pretty ...ok not irresponsible as such, but certainly very selfish. Course, every situation is different and you've got to allow for the fact that the parents have a good reason Case in point: My sister is coming over from Canada with her 9 month old to visit family - doesnt have a lot of choice in ther matter - cant expect every family member to fly over there. Mind you, thats me being selfish too
    So you're saying you agree with Stewart unless it's your family, then it's everyone else's tough luck?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    So you're saying you agree with Stewart unless it's your family, then it's everyone else's tough luck?
    the winking smilies actually mean something

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    the winking smilies actually mean something
    What's that? That you started the argument with good intentions, then realised that you don't actually agree with what you'd just written?

Lets assume they dont have to take a 7 month old to the Maldives for medical reasons or see a dying relative etc

Its a 21hr round trip plus a sea plane or boat ride. so about 23/24hrs + traveling to airport /waiting etc etc so about 30hrs

Its bloody irresponsible and selfish, they could wait 4/5 yrs. selfish for the child, forget anyone else

The child doesnt know about ear pressure etc

I think a 2hr trip to Europe would be very different

Now i dont think these are parents bad but just selfish and irresponsible like Madelines parents
    Last edited by stewart38; 10th-September-2007 at 03:38 PM.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

What's that? That you started the argument with good intentions, then realised that you don't actually agree with what you'd just written?
    i'm saying that its selfish unless you have a good reason and that EVERY parent will be sure they have a good reason.

in a world of my own... where people are nice and there's lots of honey!

Re: Madeleine

Okay - I tried desperately not to wade in on this but.... it's stressing me out not saying something so here goes................. rant mode on

I have a 5 year old and a two year old. My husband is Australian and I am Scottish, we live in Scotland. How the blinking bleeping heck are my husbands elderly grandparents going to see his children if we don't travel to Australia?

Let me tell you something - it ain't no picnic for parents to travel that distance with small children - I did it about 1 1/2 years ago with a very small baby..... it was MURDER! And there are always horrible sanctimonious nosey parkers who feel like it's their business to tell you that your child is screaming - take it from me I KNEW THAT!!!!!

It doesn't make me a BAD PARENT that I travelled with my children - they had great time with Nanna and Pop and Grandad and Granny in Australia and they had a great experience.

rant mode off

normal service will now resume.... thank you.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Mezzosoprano View Post
    It doesn't make me a BAD PARENT that I travelled with my children - they had great time with Nanna and Pop and Grandad and Granny in Australia and they had a great experience.
    Just for clarification...

Has your 2 yr old come back to you with stories of how much fun Australia was and that they are keen to go back? Or that there's no-one's knee that's as comfy as Nanna's or Pop's or Grandad's??

Re: Babies and air travel...

Taking babies on long haul flights to see family members is one thing. Taking them on a sun holiday is different, many parents might decide to change their holiday plans for a year or two to fit in with their child's needs, not their own.
    Last edited by Lynn; 10th-September-2007 at 04:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ View Post
    Just for clarification...

Has your 2 yr old come back to you with stories of how much fun Australia was and that they are keen to go back? Or that there's no-one's knee that's as comfy as Nanna's or Pop's or Grandad's??
    Neither... however there were many things he saw which interested him and to be honest... he was easier to deal with than his big sister who fidgeted heaps and wanted to run around - he's a wee boy who likes to sleep my youngest. It was a good experience for them though... particularly my eldest who still talks about seeing koalas, kangaroos etc. She loved the big water parks in the Sunshine and it was really good for them to have time with their Nanna and Pop.

And anyway, you can't take one without the other! That's how fights start!

ps - he had his first tantrum yesterday - I was so proud (and HORRIFIED)

Quote Originally Posted by Mezzosoprano View Post
    Okay - I tried desperately not to wade in on this but.... it's stressing me out not saying something so here goes................. rant mode on

I have a 5 year old and a two year old. My husband is Australian and I am Scottish, we live in Scotland. How the blinking bleeping heck are my husbands elderly grandparents going to see his children if we don't travel to Australia?

Let me tell you something - it ain't no picnic for parents to travel that distance with small children - I did it about 1 1/2 years ago with a very small baby..... it was MURDER! And there are always horrible sanctimonious nosey parkers who feel like it's their business to tell you that your child is screaming - take it from me I KNEW THAT!!!!!

rant mode off

normal service will now resume.... thank you.
    Firstly lets get it clear I don’t care if a crying baby causes grief for 334 other paying passengers , their our future etc Not the point (give them whiskey)

I think also that obviously there will be reasons as above and that’s fine

I’m taking the view that to take a 7 month old baby on a unnecessary stressful 30hr journey to a hot tropical climate is selfish if its just for a holiday

If she doesn’t get sun stroke or mosquito bites it would be a blessing but whats the benefit for the baby ?

Firstly lets get it clear I don’t care if a crying baby causes grief for 334 other paying passengers , their our future etc Not the point (give them whiskey)

I think also that obviously there will be reasons as above and that’s fine

I’m taking the view that to take a 7 month old baby on a unnecessary stressful 30hr journey to a hot tropical climate is selfish if its just for a holiday

If she doesn’t get sun stroke or mosquito bites it would be a blessing but whats the benefit for the baby ?
    I kinda agree that if you're just going 'cos mum and dad want to go to the Maldives.... that's not the same thing..... this year on holiday we went to France with our two... 45 min flight to london...1 hour to france... all cool -kids loved it and it was long enough for a non-essential trip. Travelling with small kids is really really hard work and I only do it if I HAVE to! i.e. final capitulation following months of badgering by in-laws!

Thread Information