Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Talking & Dancing

Talking & Dancing

Talking & Dancing - do you do it ?

IMO this can be so embarassing, can they hear you ??? Can you hear them ??? Or do you just nod in agreement as the music is too loud.

You can only get your words across when you meet - it can get so confusing as you have no idea sometimes why or what your partner is saying (especially if this is the first dance with them)

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Re: Talking & Dancing

Being a newcomer,initially I kept on chatting only in order to conquer my nerves. However as time is progressing I'm cutting this out and only occasionally speaking / passing what is a hopefully witty comment whilst flashing a smile and that seems to work

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post
    IMO this can be so embarassing, can they hear you ??? Can you hear them ??? Or do you just nod in agreement as the music is too loud.
    You can only get your words across when you meet - it can get so confusing as you have no idea sometimes why or what your partner is saying (especially if this is the first dance with them)
    lol, I thought I was the only one to do that, you've made my day Minnie

Personally I can't talk and dance, the first reason as minnie said is because it's hard to hear properly, the second is because it just takes my mind off dancing as I try to understand what is being said, and reply. So it's just 'move' and talk, and I'd rather talk properly off the dancefloor, or just dance and shut up...

It helps when the volume is at a sensible level and we're in close position.
    For example, Bossa Nova has a chunk of dance floor that's at a slightly lowered position and seperate from the main floor, which is great for a dance or two of mostly random swaying and chit-chat.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't talk and dance, such multitasking is beyond me.

Then again, I barely talk anyway, so I may be a poor example

Depends on who I'm dancing with. I would sometimes chat a bit with some regular partners, but it would be for a small part of the dance as we do some basic moves, its a bit of banter rather than serious chat, and then its 'switch on' to 'proper' dance mode and stop talking!

Cannot formulate dance moves and conversation at the same time.

I can stop, do repeated arm jives or something, but that's as far as it goes.

You made me laugh - I was thinking of starting a thread on this myself today. It drives me nuts when someone tries to talk to my whilst dancing. I can't hear a thing! I've got a slight hearing impediment anyway (in the range of human speech), made worse when there is lots of background noise.

The usual pattern is someone says something to me, and I say "pardon" a couple of times and get them to repeat it, usually getting the gist of what they've said after several repeats. But why don't they take the hint that I'm struggling? I then resort to smiling and nodding sweetly, whilst totally confused

The only way to have a conversation with me whilst dancing is in a close hold or sway. And even talking to me on the edge of the dancefloor doesnt' work... need to step away from the loud music. And if there's an accent involved... forget it!

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    It helps when the volume is at a sensible level and we're in close position.
    For example, Bossa Nova has a chunk of dance floor that's at a slightly lowered position and seperate from the main floor, which is great for a dance or two of mostly random swaying and chit-chat.

you can't beat a good natter while dancing

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    I don't talk and dance, such multitasking is beyond me.

Then again, I barely talk anyway, so I may be a poor example
    Now I understand why I don't WCS I can't count, and chit chat at the same time

listening is good to

If I am dancing with a new person I like to chat a little to get to know them i.e. their name, local dance venue etc. My friends always laugh at me cos I come off the dance floor knowing all about them Guess I just "need to know" sometimes

I don't do it and find it off putting, I then go into simple close move mode to hear what they are saying. Normally I say, tell me after the dance..

One friend always chats and dances, hence the dance suffers

Commercial Operator

Isn't this what blues dancing is for?

Admittedly that applies to people I already know, and maybe haven't seen for a while. The first, maybe the second, and if there's lots to catch up on, the third dance is spent just going round in blues circles chatting.
    And yes, I do get told to "get on with the dancing."
    Oh, and re. the multitasking, I always have to stop talking when something happens in the music.

I think it's probably why I sit out more during WCS, because you can't sensibly chat during that.

Greg

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

like others i cant talk properly and dance - and i hate it when someone else tries. It as much of a killer to the dance as it is when your partner comments "we've been having good weather recently" during sex

When someone starts to chat with me while dancing, I rapidly try and think on a complex or tricky move where they have to concentrate - and so shut up.

I can't listen to the music and my partner at the same time, so almost all expression of musicality goes out the window; I dance to dance, not chat.

{... although I admit that most of the time, the only time you can actually speak to me in a venue is while dancing with me...}

Quote Originally Posted by Caro View Post
    just dance and shut up...

*cough* "Dance is a conversation" *cough*

purplehyacinth

Depends whom I'm dancing with.

If it is someone who is chatting to me and doing moves where I can chat back (normally easier moves where I don't have to engage brain so much), I do.... it's only polite after all.

If someone isn't chatting and/or is putting me through moves where it is difficult/impossible to chat back, I won't.

I don't generally tend to chat much when dancing - when I do, I'm normally chatting back to someone chatting with me, rather than my initiating the chatting [but maybe that's just because I'm antisocial/silent lady of mystery (delete as applicable)]

A Ceroc teacher (before she was a Ceroc teacher ) once told me that I was remarkable in that I was able to talk and dance at the same time.

Certainly, if the music isn't too fast or loud, I can dance and chat at same time, but for the best dance from me, I prefer just to sing.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    Certainly, if the music isn't too fast or loud, I can dance and chat at same time, but for the best dance from me, I prefer just to sing.
    I sing a lot when dancing. Even if I don't know the words, if they are in another language, or even sing along to a particular instrument etc.

Though I have noticed that I can't always do this - eg once it gets beyond very simple patterns in WCS, if I'm singing I get totally lost!

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    It as much of a killer to the dance as it is when your partner comments "we've been having good weather recently" during sex

Has this happened to you often?

Thread Information