Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Blues Competition - HOW??

Commercial Operator

Re: Blues Competition - HOW??

Well - for a more relevant link then.... we can turn to the infallible Wikipedia

As for N&N developing their own style of blues dance - yes - of course they did. Every teacher, like it or not, will to some degree flavour their teaching with their own style. In this case, they were introducing what were at the time some pretty novel concepts to the MJ community, so they would have had to simplify things somewhat. This isn't quite the same thing as 'inventing' blues dancing in the way that Jockey suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by straycat View Post
    Well - for a more relevant link then.... we can turn to the infallible Wikipedia

As for N&N developing their own style of blues dance - yes - of course they did. Every teacher, like it or not, will to some degree flavour their teaching with their own style. In this case, they were introducing what were at the time some pretty novel concepts to the MJ community, so they would have had to simplify things somewhat. This isn't quite the same thing as 'inventing' blues dancing in the way that Jockey suggested.
    As I understand it the foxtrot version of blues dance was the basis for the swing version, where connection is at chest level. I went to a jook jive blues workshop, also attended by Nina, where this style was taught.

N&N style had the connection at thigh level in their workshop that I attended.

In dance evolution it can be difficult to define what constitutes a new species.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    As I understand it the foxtrot version of blues dance was the basis for the swing version, where connection is at chest level. I went to a jook jive blues workshop, also attended by Nina, where this style was taught.

N&N style had the connection at thigh level in their workshop that I attended.
    OK - you have me a little lost here. Are you saying that the difference between 'swing blues' and 'Nigel blues' is that he uses the thigh-to-thigh connection thing as his main source of connection? I assume not, but it is what that sounds like.

Out of interest - who taught at the 'Jook Jive' workshop(s)? I've not heard of that one...

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    In dance evolution it can be difficult to define what constitutes a new species.
    Or even what constitutes a dance. In the early N&N blues workshops, they used to say that blues wasn't a dance, per se. "All they were doing" was teaching a small set of techniques that people could use to enhance their existing dance skills.

I accept that Nigel didnot invent Blues dancing and I regret how rude and speculative I was about his motives in not inventing it. Sorry Nigel.
    (Now will someone get rid of that awful post of mine? - dont reply 'which one?')

Quote Originally Posted by straycat View Post
    ... Out of interest - who taught at the 'Jook Jive' workshop(s)? I've not heard of that one...
    various teachers led workshops. The one I refer to was by Noelle Gray. Unfortunately her chest to chest exercises frightened off some of the ladies, and, as I had got there cheaply to balance up the numbers, I felt that I had to leave too.

http://www.bluesdance.org.uk/73401.html

The organisation closed when the organisers started a family.

So ... back on thread

...If they ran a Blues Competition in the N East/Yorkshire ... do you think anyone would come? Would anyone feel competent enough to offer their services as a judge?

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    ...If they ran a Blues Competition in the N East/Yorkshire ... do you think anyone would come?
    We would.

Thread Information