Page 9 of 38 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Hipsters

Originally posted by Andy McGregor
    There were loads of people from Brighton, Bristol and even one guy from Nottingham!
    That was my competition dance partner Nigel Mind you Mark & Rachel (forumites) were there too, and they are from Nottingham too (or there-abouts)

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

I hadn't been for many months on a Tuesday because they play Lindy music and I don't do Lindy. That was still the same But it was still a great night with plenty of good tracks between the time wasted waiting for the Lindy stuff to finish - one track in particular was much, much too fast for proper modern jive - you could dance to it but it was no fun - I don't want to travel 160 miles on a week night to listen to Lindy music or dance badly to it.
    I am really stunned by this view. I'm not a Lindy dancer either, but there is very little music that is really undanceable as a jiver IMHO. And although it's harder, there's just as much interpretive stuff to do with the fast stuff (not that I have that aspect at all sorted yet). And, on the few occasions several are played in succession, by the time a couple of fast ones have been played, enough people have gone to have a rest for those that haven't gone into cardiac arrest to have a bit more room

I think the music on Tuesdays is the best out of all the venues I've been to, as much because there's a good sprinkling of swing as well as the rest - and for the few tracks where the jivers all depart to the sides cos it's too fast - or just too Lindyish - it's a real pleasure to watch the few really good Lindy dancers proving to me that I should wait till my next lifetime to give it a serious try.

I reckon the Lindy influence contributes a lot to the atmosphere, whether Lindy is being danced to a given track or not.

Chris

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I one track in particular was much, much too fast for proper modern jive - you could dance to it but it was no fun - I don't want to travel 160 miles on a week night to listen to Lindy music or dance badly to it.

I don't do Lindy, I think the two don't mix, the music is different the phrasing is different and Lindy Hoppers take up too much space and kick you in the shins if you get too close.
    I think the track your talking about, is the one I danced with DavidB too, and it just might have been a 'Lindy Hopper' that elbowed me in the neck, so hard that I saw stars and couldn't finish the dance cos I had to sit down!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Just thought I'd make a little announcement -

Tony is going to Hipsters tonight and is doing both classes (and freestyle of course).

So I think he owes a few people some dances!!

M

Commercial Operator
    I'm pretty much with Chris on the music thing, though there are some of the swing tracks that I'm beginning to tire of due to overplaying. A few people have said to me that they love doing the Lindy lessons with Andy and Rena, but they're much happier doing jive freestyle, so if it was a separate venue for the Lindy, it could be too quiet?

So to Chris' act of heroism, there was a guy who Chris had noticed for the third time was polluting the area with his BO, (and that's without dancing with him!) Not someone Chris knew, but he took this guy to one side, and gave him the low down. That takes some nerve in my book, and I believe the reaction was favourable.

Greg

Originally posted by Sheepman
    That takes some nerve in my book, and I believe the reaction was favourable.

Greg
    Bloody right that takes some nerve. Well done mate...now have a brandy, settle your nerves a bit

The Forum Legend
    Have to say (without having been to Hipsters for a long time now (well, it is 500 miles away )), that I'd be with Chris and Sheepy on this one. I've been on a Tuesday plenty of times, and I've heard Jon B's sets far more often. And I always (mostly) liked the music that he plays. I'd reckon that there are probably only a few tracks on the night that are that fast. But it's the same as always, if you don't like just a couple of tracks on an evening, then you're doing pretty well.

I've heard this complaint before from a few people - but they are usually down the beginner intermediate end of the dance scale, or just have a marked preference for the more pop type stuff. Given that you are neither Andy, I'm a little surprised that you feel this way.

And as you said yourself, there is a marked difference in the numbers of people turning up for the freestyle on Tuesdays, to the numbers turning up on Wednesdays......

Steve

ChrisA it looks like your a bloody hero mate! I would not have the nerve or know how to approach the subject, but then I am a complete wimp!!

Jolly well done mate.

M

Originally posted by ChrisA
    I think the music on Tuesdays is the best out of all the venues I've been to, as much because there's a good sprinkling of swing as well as the rest - and for the few tracks where the jivers all depart to the sides cos it's too fast - or just too Lindyish - it's a real pleasure to watch the few really good Lindy dancers proving to me that I should wait till my next lifetime to give it a serious try.

I reckon the Lindy influence contributes a lot to the atmosphere, whether Lindy is being danced to a given track or not.

Chris
    hear hear I totally agree Modern Jive is still my first love, but I like dancing to swing music. My Lindy only goes as far as a Lindy circle and and a swing-out - can't stand the choerographed bits, it has got to be lead and follow (the only time I will let a man have total control)

The 'GOOD' lindy dancers are considerate dancers, and anyway most of them are by the stage so they don't get in our way

--ooOoo--

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.

So to Chris' act of heroism, there was a guy who Chris had noticed for the third time was polluting the area with his BO, (and that's without dancing with him!) Not someone Chris knew, but he took this guy to one side, and gave him the low down. That takes some nerve in my book, and I believe the reaction was favourable.

Greg
    Still don't feel all that heroic..

I was as gentle as I possibly could, very apologetic for having to say something, said that there was no easy way to say it, but I'd want to be given the feedback if it had been me.

He was a bit stunned, I think, but didn't react unpleasantly in any way.

It was pretty scary, I have to admit.

I hope to god I got the right bloke tho... three consecutive, identical pongs when dancing next to him on different occasions(it was so bad I had to move myself & partner away, and even when he was dancing, the area around where he'd been sitting was ghastly as well ), and confirmation from a lady ("oh yes, he's awful") made me as confident as I could be... and I'd never have had the balls without the recent threads.

I hope he's not hanging out here...

Chris

PS thanks for your support guys...

Originally posted by Mary
    Just thought I'd make a little announcement -

Tony is going to Hipsters tonight and is doing both classes (and freestyle of course).

So I think he owes a few people some dances!!

M
    Goodie goodie - it will be worth the drive from to Brighton and the late night again - it is work the next day which is the problem

--ooOoo--

Commercial Operator
    I'm pretty much with Chris on the music thing, though there are some of the swing tracks that I'm beginning to tire of due to overplaying. A few people have said to me that they love doing the Lindy lessons with Andy and Rena, but they're much happier doing jive freestyle, so if it was a separate venue for the Lindy, it could be too quiet?
    Don't get me wrong, there are loads of swing tracks that I love too. But I still say Lindy and Modern Jive don't belong in the same room. And Lory has a pain in the next to prove it - case proven, I think. Let's play the Lindy in another room and they can kick and elbow each other to fast tracks all night. We can then enjoy JB looking after the modern jivers as only he knows how.

The alternative would be to do what they used to do at ice-skating when they cleared the floor for the speed skaters. JB could announce 'Modern Jivers without shin pads, crash helmets and flack jackets please clear the floor for 10 minutes of Lindy Hop'

BTW I met Lory for the first time last night. She's absolutely fantastic, double spins in double time and asks for sexy moves - what more could a man want

Greg
    Chris, you are an example to us all. Hopefully it worked. If he's like it next time get me to speak to him and give him a second opinion.

Don't get me wrong, there are loads of swing tracks that I love too. But I still say Lindy and Modern Jive don't belong in the same room. And Lory has a pain in the next to prove it - case proven, I think.
    No. Considerate/careful and inconsiderate/careless dancers don't belong in the same room. I don't see Nigel crashing into anyone, for example, and he gets about a bit, even on a crowded dance floor.

I've been crunched by far more jivers than Lindiers at H on a Tuesday.

Re Lory: totally agree. One day hopefully I won't be too shy for the sexy moves...

And thanks for your support too.

Chris

The Forum Legend
    Don't get me wrong, there are loads of swing tracks that I love too. But I still say Lindy and Modern Jive don't belong in the same room. And Lory has a pain in the next to prove it - case proven, I think. Let's play the Lindy in another room and they can kick and elbow each other to fast tracks all night. We can then enjoy JB looking after the modern jivers as only he knows how.

The alternative would be to do what they used to do at ice-skating when they cleared the floor for the speed skaters. JB could announce 'Modern Jivers without shin pads, crash helmets and flack jackets please clear the floor for 10 minutes of Lindy Hop'
    Sorry Andy. But I don't agree with this either. There's plenty of people out there doing Modern Jive who have no idea of the space issues, and who blunder around a dance floor. It's not just the Lindy Hoppers who do this (although, I do agree that there are some very bad ones of them too). Didn't I read somewhere that even Lily managed to clock someone the other night?

There's also plenty of tracks that are Jive only that are very fast, and possibly dangerous in a room full of people with no consideration for other dancers....

Steve

I think I'll stick to Wednesdays because I do Modern Jive. I don't do Lindy, I think the two don't mix, the music is different the phrasing is different and Lindy Hoppers take up too much space and kick you in the shins if you get too close. Why can't they have their own music in a different room or even their own night?
    Fair enough you would think... everyone is entitled to his own view....

But then, on the relatively clear Wednesday Hipsters dance floor, to a fairly fast track, guess who it was that charged past, scaring me and partner with feet kicking everywhere - dancing what to my untrained eye looked REMARKABLY LIKE LINDY MOVES.

We tried twice to remain in the half of the dance floor that this unnamed reprobate was not occupying... and failed.

Far be it from me to name names, but watching closely where my eyes rest... and claiming later that it wasn't Lindy but a jive move was a bit off.

Bah, sir. If it swims like a duck, quacks like a duck, has "mallard" stamped on the side, and is eventually served up crispy in a chinese restaurant, in my book that's a duck.

The one redeeming factor was a nice black top instead of the normal shocker...

Oops have I given away the identity of the culprit???
    Last edited by ChrisA; 30th-October-2003 at 03:07 AM.

I love your posts ChrisA
    - too tired to add my comment of last night when I got in - I must admit I do prefer Tuesday nights, although I prefer Viktor's class.

Roger's music doesn't really inspire me, in fairness, he does play a few tracks I like, but in general AND wasn't it LOUD - I had to tell me to turn the sound down

Got my dance with Tony - was NOT dissapointed, it was fun, thank you Tony, I will be back for more

By the way 007 was there - he was also there on Wednesday - another great dancer AND WHERE WAS BOOMER

--ooOoo--

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    BTW I met Lory for the first time last night. She's absolutely fantastic, double spins in double time and asks for sexy moves - what more could a man want
    I'd like to think it was a joint effort! lol
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

with feet kicking everywhere - dancing what to my untrained eye looked REMARKABLY LIKE LINDY MOVES.
    Tony and I noticed a man dancing with a man being swept across the floor; I think it was the same person...

Oh and he also thought I'd dressed to match him :reallly: Was this planned? I'll leave that to the masses to decide

Had some great dances in there last night with loads of my fave's; Tony of course (always top of the list ), Chris (that was a really good one I thought), the lovely Ed, David B who is always fantastic even if he did have an injured foot, Roger Chin to All That Jazz, which is one of my favourite songs, Tatties, the colour-coordinated Andy M. Peter who I hardly ever get to dance with; a last dance with Dave who won the aerials last year at B.B. who did some really great drops, plus many more; in short, a great evening...

Where was Minnie M though? I also want to know where Lily gets her fab trousers. I look at every one of her outfits and think wow! Those trousers last night were brilliant!

Fair enough you would think... everyone is entitled to his own view....

But then, on the relatively clear Wednesday Hipsters dance floor, to a fairly fast track, guess who it was that charged past, scaring me and partner with feet kicking everywhere - dancing what to my untrained eye looked REMARKABLY LIKE LINDY MOVES.

We tried twice to remain in the half of the dance floor that this unnamed reprobate was not occupying... and failed.

Far be it from me to name names, but watching closely where my eyes rest... and claiming later that it wasn't Lindy but a jive move was a bit off.

Bah, sir. If it swims like a duck, quacks like a duck, has "mallard" stamped on the side, and is eventually served up crispy in a chinese restaurant, in my book that's a duck.

The one redeeming factor was a nice black top instead of the normal shocker...

Oops have I given away the identity of the culprit???
    Could this be the same duck that charged into my quiet corner of the dance floor with a fellow drake and proceeded to try floor sweeps and a grand array of moves that would make the average 'hotshot' proud.
    First time in ages I have felt it neccessary to move to a safer part of the dance floor

Good music last night but why so loud, thanks for the dance Pammy

Originally posted by Pammy
    Where was Minnie M though?
    DavidB point you out to me last night - but never got a chance to come over to say hi ! you were too busy dancing

--ooOoo--

Thread Information