Page 1 of 38 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Hipsters

Originally posted by Minnie M
    Was very dissapointed - it certainly wasn't the who's who that I expected and nothing like the very first night - in fact we left at 11:40 as it was thinning out and we were getting a bit bored!
    Hmmm, so Minnie didn't say hi at Hipsters, or at Rebel Yell; very disappointed Mousey! Come grab me this week...

Hipsters on Friday was excellent, in my opinion, fab class, really enjoyed that, particularly the knee lean (although I think I nearly killed Stevie2Shoes a couple of times during the hour!)

Had some great dances and some great conversations. Was only planning on staying til 10.30 what with the early start the next day, but didn't get away til about 12.30! :sorry

Was great to meet Boomer; he looks nothing like a monkey (sorry, ape) so maybe that's why you missed him Minnie... He was very sweet actually and I hope he had a good time.

Px

Originally posted by Pammy
    Hmmm, so Minnie didn't say hi at Hipsters, or at Rebel Yell; very disappointed Mousey! Come grab me this week...

Was great to meet Boomer; he looks nothing like a monkey (sorry, ape) so maybe that's why you missed him Minnie... He was very sweet actually and I hope he had a good time.

Px
    Sorry I didn't get to say hi Pammy - didn't realise who you were on Friday till just before I left - and Rebel Yell was so good, I was too busy dancing - and didn't get a chance during the workshops.

Unfortunately I am way for the next two/three weeks, so I will be dancing (if not too tired) around Yorkshire - this week and Wales next

What goes on in Newport (wales) or Rotherham on a Tuesday or Wednesday please (within 1 hours drive that is)

The Forum Legend
    Hiya Minnie....

No idea about Rotherham. But from Newport, you can quite easily get to Mark and Jackie's class in Cardiff on a Tuesday night. See http://www.planetleroc.biz

Or, there's dances on every night of the week in Bristol, which is only a short trip over the Bridge. I think that the class in Kingswood is on a Wednesday (http://www.kingswoodleroc.com/)

Steve

thanks Steve

Commercial Operator
    Originally posted by Andy McGregor
    Almost everyone is lovely like The Pamster (she deserves a new name, after all,
    Just one small hop from Pamster to Hamster! Though a rodent that big would be even more frightening than the real thing!
    I had a great night at Hipsters on Friday, great to have some space, and I didn't leave till we were thrown out well after 1 a.m. I did get some accusations from people I didn't dance with, but there were so many from far afield - Scotland, Yeovil, Bristol, Norwich, and others I haven't seen for ages that some of the regulars got "displaced" - sorry! And sorry to Minnie too, this also applies to Saturday night when we didn't manage a dance.

I did have one major problem on Friday, my dancing was mostly crap, but sometimes (?) it's like that.

I'll be interested in the final tally, but I reckon the numbers were about the same as on a Tuesday night, but with most of the tables out, there was much more space. Nigel and Nina's lesson was great, though they have made a couple of small changes since they last taught this routine about 3 years ago - my excuse for getting it wrong!

Re. Andy's "Hotshot" dancers, yes, some of them do come I'm sure, but I'm never really aware of them when I'm out on the floor (ie all the time). There is just a great cross section of dancers there, and it is great to see the success this has become, I think it is a long way from disappearing up it's own a**e. It isn't to everbody's taste (certainly not the inconsiderate smokers'!) but is anywhere.

Greg

The Dashing Moderator

Rodents

Originally posted by Sheepman
    Though a rodent that big would be even more frightening
    How tall is Minnie M, then?
    Love dance, will travel

Just one small hop from Pamster to Hamster! Though a rodent that big would be even more frightening than the real thing!

I know I've been picking on you recently, but honestly!! Incidentally; still had no bids on you! Hardly surprising for a man who won't eat his white crusts!!

I did have one major problem on Friday, my dancing was mostly crap, but sometimes (?) it's like that.

You're never crap; although after a comment like above, I think I should perhaps say you are!

Andy's "Hotshot" dancers, yes, some of them do come I'm sure, but I'm never really aware of them when I'm out on the floor (ie all the time).
    Please someone PM me with a list of who the Hotshots are as I don't know!!!

Px

Commercial Operator

Re: Rodents

Originally posted by DavidY
    How tall is Minnie M, then?
    A few shrunken heads shorter than a pamster!!

And Pammy, you know I'm only pulling your leg It's when you stop getting the insults you need to worry!

I forgot to mention that about a dozen people said to me on Saturday, that they didn't make it to Hipsters on the Friday because of the early morning start next day, so will there be room to swing a cat next time?

Greg

Re: Re: Rodents

so will there be room to swing a cat next time?
    Or a toilet roll?

Or a shrunken head?

Or a Hampster?

Oh, and Sheepy, I know you're only teasing.

Px

Thanks for the dance on Friday Pammy
    I will be at Hipsters on Tuesday so please you say hi this time Boomer (and anyone else on the forum that is there)
    Peter

Originally posted by Lounge Lizard
    Thanks for the dance on Friday Pammy
    No, thank you LL; the pleasure was all mine and Boo Boo, are you going Tuesday then ?

Px

Commercial Operator

Re: Re: Rodents

I forgot to mention that about a dozen people said to me on Saturday, that they didn't make it to Hipsters on the Friday because of the early morning start next day, so will there be room to swing a cat next time?Greg
    I'm one of those people who had to get up early. I'll be there next time

Originally posted by Pammy
    No, thank you LL; the pleasure was all mine and Boo Boo, are you going Tuesday then ?

Px
    Sowwy Pammywammy, can't. But now that I know it's not too hard to get to, and that it also has beginners classes, it'll become my new reg plave to go....provided Nina doesn't scare me off (notthati'msayingNinaishorribleormeanornotniceoran ything!), but..well...my what a big hole I find myself in

Commercial Operator
    Originally posted by Boomer
    Sowwy Pammywammy, can't. But now that I know it's not too hard to get to, and that it also has beginners classes, it'll become my new reg plave to go....provided Nina doesn't scare me off (notthati'msayingNinaishorribleormeanornotniceoran ything!), but..well...my what a big hole I find myself in

Nina would be devastated if she thought she'd scared you off. And besides, if you said that she had scared you off you'd be risking a very dangerous event involving scary instruments of torture such as the death stare Nina gives Nigel when he gets it wrong

And "Pammywammy" are you sure that Tuesday Hipsters does have a beginners class? It didn't last time I went it only had quite a complicated intermediate class - but I haven't been for ages as I usually go on Wednesdays and that definitely does have a beginners lesson

....provided Nina doesn't scare me off
    It's a real shame for the rest of us, but Nina doesn't always go to Hipsters during the week.

If she does, don't let anything scare you off having a dance with her - especially not the hotshots queuing up. Despite her status as total goddess, she is exceptionally good at sensing the level of her partner, and dancing with you in a way that won't make you feel like a fool for not being up at her level.

She was responsible for me not giving up dancing completely about 18 months ago, so she can do no wrong in my eyes. Nigel literally takes his life in his hands when he takes the p*ss out of her on stage

Chris

are you sure that Tuesday Hipsters does have a beginners class?
    It does not.

On Tuesdays, Amir teaches from 8 till shortly before 9, then Nigel teaches from 9 till about 9.40 (in theory )

Amir takes relatively simple moves and teaches them with great emphasis on musicality and style - not easy but terrific to learn. Nigel doesn't focus quite so much on technique these days, but his classes are always really interesting, and quite hard enough.

On Wednesdays, Viktor teaches Ceroc-style beginners and intermediate classes.

Chris

Originally posted by ChrisA
    On Wednesdays, Viktor teaches Ceroc-style beginners and intermediate classes.

Chris
    Thanks mate, (opps, you too Andy ) I saw the ads on the door but forgot exactly when the classes were. As for Nina....yes, I've never knew 'you forgot to turn your phone off' could be said with such....chilling...I can't, I've gone cold Maybe Nigel will turn it off next time, me, I'm not even bringing mine.

P.S. When Nina berated me for my pitiful few dances, her brow may have beetled, but her eyes were smiling..I think...I hope.

I've never knew 'you forgot to turn your phone off' could be said with such....chilling...I can't, I've gone cold Maybe Nigel will turn it off next time, me, I'm not even bringing mine.
    The phone went off, and Nina's exact words were (imagine the most ironic/sarcastic tone possible):

"That would be your mobile phone, then, wouldn't it, Nigel?"

After all the p*ss-taking of Nina that Nigel indulges in, I was punching the air, with an under-my-breath "yessss"

It's great entertainment...

Chris

...a complicated intermediate class...
    Truism

My first drop, and sway and knee catch-thingy! I was genuinely scared when I saw the 'drop lady over left knee' bit - all I could hear was 'crunch...which emergency service do you require'. fortunately Nina's 'ladies, support yourselves in this one' was reassuring.

Truism
    But you handled it fine, just like a gorilla in the mist...

Thread Information