Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neighbour Problems - Advice Please

Neighbour Problems - Advice Please

Since moving into my new flat, there has been a hideous coffee table with even more hideous plants in the landing just outside my front door.

Today I moved it to the other side of the landing outside my neighbours door ( I assume they belong to her) since I need somewhere to put the bikes.

When I came back tonight they had been moved back again. I can't be bothered with a childish game of moving them back and forward every day so what do I do?

When I'm annoyed I have a tendency to use a hammer to crack a nut so I'll wait to cool down and some sensible advice would be appreciated.

Re: Neighbour Problems - Advice Please

hide them?

Seriously, have you tried having a word with your neighbour? Maybe she doesn't realise the coffee table is in the way (tho, what kind of idiot puts a coffee table on a landing, I'm not sure!) Is it blocking your escape route? If there's a fire, it's dark, and you're in a hurry to get out of the building are you going to fall over it, get knocked out and die? Explain nicely that the coffee table is inevitaby going to lead to your untimely demise, and if she stil insists it stays where it is, then get the hammer out. Or talk to the landlord??

Commercial Operator

Put your bikes outside her door. See how she likes it. If that dont work, then i would agree with mythical - hide it.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'd really recommend talking to her first - if you start getting engaged in table wars it could be a nightmare.

Hell, for all you know it's not even her table, it's just left there or whatever.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'd pop a note through their door, explaining that your sorry you'd moved the table to their side of the landing but you'd assumed the table was 'theirs'!

Explain that you need the space now, and as they clearly don't want the table, you'll be disposing of it forthwith.

Signed,, your friendly neighbour Isis

Its up to them to do something about it then.

They'll either move it (to save it), contact you about it or leave it and let you to dispose of it!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    I'd really recommend talking to her first - if you start getting engaged in table wars it could be a nightmare.

Hell, for all you know it's not even her table, it's just left there or whatever.
    I hate to do it, but I have to agree with DJ. talk to the neighbour in a calm polite manner, you may be living next to them for a very long time. It may even be possible that the table belonged to the previous owners of your flat and the neighbours hate it as much as you do! Turn the tables (so to speak) and put yourself in their position too. Imagine you had been living somewhere for years and someone new moved in next door and the first thing they did is dump a table and plants outside your door.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

I'd agree with DJ and DI speak to them - in fact, why havent you already if they are your neighbours ? Don't put a note through their door - far too impersonal I'd say (sorry Lory)

Blog Entries

I would just call the landlord and ask for them to have it removed as putting stuff in the hallway of a tenanted building is classed as a fire risk and he will have to do something about it by law.

I would also pop a note through the door of her flat and ask her if its hers as you will be arranging for its removal if its not. If it is hers ask her to remove it herself. Obvioulsy make the letter polite, introducing yourself giving her your name etc etc.

Or you could bugger all that, wait till its dark, get a strong fella down there, remove it and deny all knowledge of its whereabouts.. xx

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

no to the note idea - how would you feel if someone you didnt know posted a note through the door ? if you'd feel ok, remember they may not

if this is all too stressful for you, give the local chavs 10 each to come in and ransack the close - why use conventional weapons when a nuclear strike is much more efficient

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    no to the note idea - how would you feel if someone you didnt know posted a note through the door ? if you'd feel ok, remember they may not

if this is all too stressful for you, give the local chavs 10 each to come in and ransack the close - why use conventional weapons when a nuclear strike is much more efficient

Put yourself in her shoes and think how you would feel if she did that to you about your bike. Talk to her - best thing is to establish a good relationship from the start. Then you can be nice and do all sorts of things for each other if necessary - taking in packages, watering plants whilst on holiday, etc. Good neighbours are worth their weight in gold - my downstairs neighbour organises and pays for my windows to be cleaned for example, which I didn't do for my first 5 years there as I didn't know anyone who did it!

And don't forget - it's just a table. Don't get too worked up about it. So long as it's not a safety concern, it's only a minor inconvenience.

And let us know how you get on.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    I'd agree with DJ and DI speak to them - in fact, why havent you already if they are your neighbours ? Don't put a note through their door - far too impersonal I'd say (sorry Lory)
    Its OK DS, I agree somewhat When my neighbours moved in, years ago now, I took round a box of chocs and a 'Welcome to you new home' card I believe its the old neighbours job to welcome the new neighbour in.
    I just thought, it might be an easy option to get what Isis wants, without the risk of confrontation, seeing as they haven't been through the customary 'niceties'

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    I would just call the landlord and ask for them to have it removed as putting stuff in the hallway of a tenanted building is classed as a fire risk and he will have to do something about it by law.
    But if she does that, the neighbour will be within her rights to complain, when the bikes are stored there.
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

i think you should talk, its works

if i had not talked to my next door i dont know what would of happened to him he had a few problems but he has moved out now back to scotland, but my previous neighbours did not like the fact that we moved in he like the old man that used to live next door so he caused us a lot of problems and ended up with the police getting involved and i moved it was to much stress and now i have fab neighbours and live in a great street out in the country.

you need to talk to her dont let problems get started when she has just moved in, if all else fails through the table in the bin.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

It is possible that the table was left by the people who moved out the flat.

Again, have a word with your neighbour, they can't be any worse than my old neighbours who used to have bongo parties (nothing rude, just people playing bongos) at 2 am on a Tuesday and grow hash in their greenhouse.

I would call the landlord as could be against health and safety to be in the hallway anyway. If no joy I could weaken a leg so eventually the leg will fall off and then get it chucked out. All this brings back so many memories of annoying neighbours. Maybe I will start another thread soon. Cant be as bad as my corrupt sponging neighbours who were up til 4.30 am today hammering and doing some kind of DIY. Still they left this morning for Nigeria now that all their benefits are in order.

Move the table in to your flat and invite you neighbour in for a coffee

Seriously don’t do anything confrontational

Friends come and go - enemies are for life

Take a stealthy approach - overwater the plants till they die

then it will be november and there's bound to be a bonfire somewhere

Thanks for the advice!

It only just occurred to me today that the stuff might not belong to the woman next door (as Lee, Cruella and DJ pointed out), in which case it's me who's guilty of dumping an eyesore outside her front door and not the other way round. Oops

I considered speaking to her in person about this, as most people suggested, but I've actually met her several times since moving in and she's been incredibly unpleasant from the start. I'm afraid having coffee and looking out for each other ain't going to happen. The best we can hope for is to see each other rarely. Luckily the rest of the people in the building are very nice.

I also know that I'm too fiery to remain calm and polite if I speak to her and she starts being an arse, so it's best to avoid any chance of a confrontation as far as possible.

I'm torn between going with Lory and Trouble's suggestion of writing a note or just taking the thing to the dump on Monday without contacting her at all.

Overall, have to agree with Twirly. It is just a table. Will try to get a bit of perpective and not take it so seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    get a strong fella down there
    If you know any, please send them my way. Table or no table, I could make good use of them!

Quote Originally Posted by Missy D View Post
    Maybe I will start another thread soon
    Please do, that would be an interesting one.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Isis View Post
    If you know any, please send them my way. Table or no table, I could make good use of them!

Bearing in mind the attitude of your neighbour, it sounds to me like a short note to the landlord is the only option if you want to stay on the right side of the law/regulations/morality/etc. Make it somebody else's problem and get on with finding your "strong fella"

I had similar issues with a neighbour. Their cat came into my garden every day had a crap then left. I picked up the crap with a children's spade and flung it back over the wall every day for ages until I realised the cat belonged to the neighboutr in the house next to them
    They hardly ever spoke to me

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by DianaS View Post
    I had similar issues with a neighbour. Their cat came into my garden every day had a crap then left. I picked up the crap with a children's spade and flung it back over the wall every day for ages until I realised the cat belonged to the neighboutr in the house next to them
    They hardly ever spoke to me
    Which reminds me of something. Ask questions in your note to the landlord. You accuse nobody with questions. Something like;

There is a table outside my door (undisputed fact). Is there supposed to be a table outside my door? (accuses nobody). Am I allowed to put my bicycle outside my door? (request for permission). If I am allowed to put a bicycle outside my door, is is possible to move the table so that I can put a bicycle outside my door? (question, not request).

You do not need to say everything in this note - you can always send other notes if you don't get the required outcome.

Thread Information