Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Eurovision Dance Contest

Commercial Operator

Re: Eurovision Dance Contest

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Did anyone else find it, well, a bit pants? I got bored halfway through and switched off
    I agree with this. It seemed like anybody would do as a competitor. Some were competitors from Strictly Come Dancing, some were professional dance couples, some were amateurs, some were dancers from another style (including ice-dance) and others seemed to have been brought back from retirement for the show. I think the commentators were right when they said that it will be judged on performance and entertainment value rather than dance skill. Of course, if you're a great dancer you can be more entertaining.

If it really was going to be Eurovision it would be the choreographers who were competing as, not many people know this (and maybe it's not longer the case), it's the song that is competing in Eurovision, not the singer.

The dancers were only on the floor for about 30 seconds at a time it seemed, and I just couldn't get into it - it all seemed very rushed and disjointed.

Everyone kept on stressing "the first eurovision dance competition", so one presumes that they're looking for an ongoing thing - but it needs a bit more oomph I reckon.
    One of the competitors said that they only knew they were competing a week ago. It sounds like the show was thrown together to fill a slot in the summer schedules rather than any long-term strategic planning on behalf of the BBC. It was still well produced and the set itself was fabulous. Some of the dancing was brilliant too

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    It did occur to me that MJ is on its way to staking a claim for being "the" U.K. dance.
    There are many traditional dances in the UK that have been going a lot longer than MJ. Brendan chose Latin style dancing with a James Bond theme - we've never even invaded a Latin country

I've given it no more than a moments thought and I can come up with a few British dances.

Sword Sancing
    Scottish Country Dancing
    English Country Dancing
    Morris Dancing
    Naked Dancing in Mud at Pop Festivals
    Irish Clog Dancing
    Maypole Dancing
    Barn Dancing (difficult for a couple to get a line and go through the arch though)
    Ballroom Dancing is pretty "British" as well - at least compared to Latin.

But you have to make allowances - neither one of the couple is actually British so might not know about our traditional dances

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    There are many traditional dances in the UK that have been going a lot longer than MJ. Brendan chose Latin style dancing with a James Bond theme -

I've given it no more than a moments thought and I can come up with a few British dances.
    Ballroom Dancing

Bang on Andy!
    That would have been perfect!

Personally I quite enjoyed watching it. We did pop out halfway to pick up some muchies, so perhps the interval helped.

Alot of the dancing wasn't spot on, but so what? You can kinda see what the dancers were after, and well done to them for trying.

Bit of a shame there wasn't a build up to it though. Was there auditions?? Considering it was staged in England, it must be slightly embarassing to come 2nd to last.... and the last place having the dreaded "nil poi"

My pennies worth

martin

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

futher to others saying its a pity we didnt have British dancers dancing for Britain - Camilla is Danish but i cant find anything stating Antons origin - other than he danced in Canada, which doesnt necessarily mean anything ?

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    futher to others saying its a pity we didnt have British dancers dancing for Britain - Camilla is Danish but i cant find anything stating Antons origin - other than he danced in Canada, which doesnt necessarily mean anything ?
    Errr... Anton?

Brendan Cole, maybe? The New Zealander?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Errr... Anton?

Brendan Cole, maybe? The New Zealander?
    was it him then ? they look the same to me

Tony would have been a much more appropriate choice for us, since he is actually British. Erin isn't though - but half is better than none.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    i cant find anything stating Antons origin -
    Anton du Beke is obviously French. Have you never heard him speak?

Daisy

(A Delusional Little Flower)

The conspiracy theories start ...

A friend claims that the preable to the Finnish entry showed a clip of their ticker tape winners finale. A "was not live" theory was postulated. Anybody know if the Finnish comp. had the same routine, set and winning finale?

Re: The conspiracy theories start ...

A friend claims that the preable to the Finnish entry showed a clip of their ticker tape winners finale. A "was not live" theory was postulated. Anybody know if the Finnish comp. had the same routine, set and winning finale?
    I had missed this part as I'd been out briefly, and watched it last night (just the Finnish first dance) - I wasn't especially noticing but the preamble did look like it showed them winning something but it was a different venue (the Eurovision had that distinctive black and white floor). Can't go back and check because I just videoed Havana Nights over the top (I know it didn't get great reviews but its a dance film).

It was interesting to note Len's comments after the Finnish first dance - along the lines of 'technically very good, if this was a dance contest they would be right up there, but its an entertainment show and I don't think it was entertaining enough'.

Re: The conspiracy theories start ...

I investigated - the winng ticker tape scene was from the Finnish comp, not the same set at all - no conspiracy

We thought that it was all pretty half-baked and pretty dull. Graham 'woodface' Norton was a sublime choice for the MC though The winners were the couple who I thought were the best dancers... so no complaints there.

I do feel that for this sort of contest to work the competitors should wear numbers and their nationalities only revealed AFTER the final votes are in - or something like that. Maybe there should be a rule that you can't vote for any nation that you have beaten in a war... although I guess that would mean that France would get no points at all, so maybe that wouldn't work

The current system is openly abused and makes any contest like this a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    The current system is openly abused and makes any contest like this a farce.
    You expected anything different? It was yet another opportunity to vote for your mates/neighbours/politically expedient country. The fact that there was some dancing shown was totally coincidental

All I can remember is it being pointed out that the Greek lady had rather minimalist underwear on while she was being flown round like an aeroplane by her partner. Is such cheek-revealing underwear normal for such a dance contest? I know from old threads here that ladies are required to wear at least three pairs of knickers and tights and two pairs of shorts during MJ events...

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    I do feel that for this sort of contest to work the competitors should wear numbers and their nationalities only revealed AFTER the final votes are in - or something like that.
    Thats a really good idea, i can only imagine the media frenzy as newspapers try to "out" the contestants though - which maybe isnt a bad thing overall, from a publicity point of view.

Commercial Operator

Re: SCD - Series 5

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepman View Post
    Not a huge surprise, Vincent's been racking up support aevery time I've seen him in the last few months
    But watch out for Flavia this year, she is hoping for a sportsman and be one of favourites.

Have you checked BBC web site?
    Quote on BBC
    "To enter the Strictly Come Dancing ticket lottery for the 2007 series, phone lines and email registration forms are now open and will remain open until Monday 17 September 2007 at 5.00pm. No applications will be received after this date. Please also note that applications for tickets will only be received by phone or via this website.

Ive been twice, went with MM, now I would like a hat trick.

Same line up but did you know??

The BBC are taking the show on tour during Mid Jan to Mid Feb, so watch our for more news.

Did any one watch the European Dance Contest with Brendon Cole? Did you know it was all recorded on the Friday night and then sent out to Europe on the Saturday night. Its seems there was even a shot done of Camilla & Brendon in case the won!! My friend was in audience with Hanna!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Did any one watch the European Dance Contest with Brendon Cole? Did you know it was all recorded on the Friday night and then sent out to Europe on the Saturday night. Its seems there was even a shot done of Camilla & Brendon in case the won!! My friend was in audience with Hanna!
    this is NOT true.
    A friend of mine was at the DRESS REHERSAL on Friday, she managed to get a video of Brendan and Camilla and it was definatly a different dance to the one shown on TV on Sat eve as Camillia remebered to pull the velcro to help Brenden remove the second dress to reveal the red dress.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Ballroom queen View Post
    this is NOT true.
    A friend of mine was at the DRESS REHERSAL on Friday, she managed to get a video of Brendan and Camilla and it was definatly a different dance to the one shown on TV on Sat eve as Camillia remebered to pull the velcro to help Brenden remove the second dress to reveal the red dress.
    then we beg to differ, lets say alot of it was recorded, my friend is seen many times right behind Graham Norton and she only went on Friday and went as guest with Matthew Cutler, explain that one please??

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

then we beg to differ, lets say alot of it was recorded, my friend is seen many times right behind Graham Norton and she only went on Friday and went as guest with Matthew Cutler, explain that one please??
    so you're not saying it was ALL recorded now just that "a lot of it" was recorded. And masterfully edited on the night no doubt.

What was your friend doing right behind Graham Norton ?

TV producers worry about live shots of any audience. There have been too many opportunistic interventions by people with their own agenda.

Thread Information