Thread: Where to dance in Devon next week?

The Dashing Moderator

Where to dance in Devon next week?

I'm going to be in Devon next week - a place called Shaldon near Teignmouth.

Anyone got any recommendations on good dance venues to go to during the week? There don't seem to be many listed on uk-jive - I see there's a Ceroc Devon which isn't listed there for instance.

Thanks for your help.
    Love dance, will travel

Re: Where to dance in Devon next week?

Have you looked here?

Exeter Jive!

The Dashing Moderator

Thanks for the link!

I reckon all of their nights are within feasible distance.. (and there's the Ceroc one as well).

Now I've just got to work out which night is best to go to. All advice gratefully received!

( I know from experience round here that you can have two nights in the same venue, run by the same organisation, and one will be busy and the other have tumbleweeds rolling across the dance floor. )
    Love dance, will travel

Hi David,

I'm one of Nelson Rose's intermediate coaches so I can comment on his classes. I haven't been to the Ceroc class in Exeter since shortly after it started so I can't offer a personal opinion but I understand it's pretty good and I'm sure someone else can give more detail.

Thursday night in Exeter probably attracts the most dancers - typically between 200 and 250. It's a "standard format" class but the intermediate lessons are graded on a scale of 1 to 4. Week 4 nights can be good and demanding, with a couple of moves straying into "advanced" territory where week 1 nights are designed to make the transition from beginner to intermediate easy. There's intermediate coaching available if you fancy working through some stuff with more experienced dancers (although the coaching is aimed at the early intermediates I've also found it really rewarding to have mutual feedback sessions with more experienced folk - I learn a lot and it's good to have that sort of opportunity to practice).

Nelson's Monday night class attracts fewer people - 80 to 100 at a guess - has a different structure with simultaneous MJ and WCS beginner and intermediate classes running simultaneously (the room the WCS classes use is far from ideal though) and then an "advanced intermediate" class runs later in the evening. So there's less freestyle on Mondays, no coaching but there is a decent area of floor at the back of the main hall where you can quietly practice during the classes. It's separated from the "class area" by one of those huge, moveable tiered seating thingies so you're not interfering with the class at all. Steve Raine teaches the beginner & intermediate MJ while Nelson does the WCS and then Nelson does the advanced class (he calls it "advanced intermediate" so as not to put people off but when he gets going it can get really challenging; if you plan going ring him up and ask him to cover a topic that interests you and I'm sure he'll try to oblige).

I won't be around for a couple of weeks as I'm in Malaysia (tough life that it is) but say "Hi" to the gang for me.

Hi David.

Like Jon I'm a dancer in Exeter.

Nelson's official site is Jive Dancing in Devon

One thing to note is that the Mondays is no longer at the Moose, but is at Exeter Corn Exchange, as are the Thursdays.

Ceroc is also at the Corn Exchange on Tuesdays, although numbers are a little lower at the moment, averaging at 50-55. Ceroc Devon

If you want to try further afield, there are classes in Plymouth on a Tuesday and dancing on a Friday, Plymouth Jive Club Web Site

Taunton, also a little further afield, has lessons on a Monday and Wednesday. Gary usually plays a nice mix of music. Riviera LeRoc - Modern Jive dancing & tuition - The fun way to learn to dance

Finally there is Red Hot Rhythm in Axminster on Wednesday nights. Red Hot Rhythm - Mo'jive Axminster

Hope that helps.

Duncan

The Dashing Moderator

Jon and Duncan,

Thanks for the info.

Thanks especially to Duncan for confirming where the Monday class is - I saw 2 different websites with different locations so I was unsure about that.

I hope to get to at least one of the Exeter classes.

David
    Love dance, will travel

Thread Information