Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Sunday Smoove

Glitter Queen

Re: Sunday Smoove

Quote Originally Posted by FoxyFunkster View Post
    I hope it will be a popular night for sure, the concern that ceroc have is excluding anyone in particular, is it not possible to have a night that can satisfy people who wanna WCS all night as well as encouraging people who may wanna chilled out night of music on a sunday.
    I can understand this concern, but there are already a plethora of Ceroc and MJ-based freestyles to choose from - if people want to Ceroc on a Sunday night then there's always (for example) Berkhamstead, which has two rooms - one with more chilled-out music; I have been there several times in the past and enjoyed it very much. There's nothing wrong with offering something new and different. It's not about excluding people, it's about offering variety and about exposing people to new and interesting things. I don't think Ceroc TM need defending on this one, Foxy, I think they just need to make a decision and be brave enough to stick to it - and by letting this event take place in the first place I believe that's what they're doing.

One last point what did people think of the times, 8.30pm to 11pm??? was it too late???
    Personally I would have preferred it to start at 8pm, but the 11pm finish was good (and a nice surprise as I was under the impression it would finish at 10:30pm). No gripes from me though .

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkles View Post
    I can understand this concern, but there are already a plethora of Ceroc and MJ-based freestyles to choose from - if people want to Ceroc on a Sunday night then there's always (for example) Berkhamstead,
    And for those Cerocers who want something a little more local, of course there should be a new evening at Putney, just up the road, assuming it gets off the ground this week

I was too knackered after Saturday night and Sunday afternoon to go to this last night. I clearly need to get into training for Camber later this month Looking forward to trying it out sometime though.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
    [...] As the music was purely my playlist I have to confess that it was all WCS. In fact, it was wall to wall WCS. Even worse than that I put in a number of blues numbers which would have been VERY difficult to MJ to.
    Can you tell us what any of these tracks were? Just curious...
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

More muscle memory repetitions and less verbal description.
    A little less conversation, a little more action perhaps?

I was guilty last night of playing some real dirty blues.
    I found some tracks very tricky and I stuck to WCS all night long. I think the problem I found was that many of them have sections that are crying out for creative interpretation and my footwork and lead are just not up to the job yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Caro View Post
    I think if people have the possibility to fall back into their 'MJ' mode, they will never really develop their WCS to a standard that will provide them actual enjoyment when freestyling.

Short term fix or long term gain is what needs to be considered when you're struggling to freestyle WCS.

I had a good night last night. It seems to take me a while to warm up at these events (the Twickenham Tea Dance a month or so back was the same) if I haven't preceded the social with a class or workshop. My apologies to my partners for all but the last three quarters of an hour or so as I just wasn't on it but I persisted and it got better towards the end as I had a couple of super smooth dances with Anita who I don't think is on the forum and lots of excellent, playful dances with Sparkles. Was good to see some of the experienced west coast dancers supporting the night even though my lead wasn't doing them justice. I also somehow contrived not only to grab a follower's breast (yes, I know, Caro, once looks accidental, more than that looks like a pattern....) but also my hand strayed perilously close to even more of a no-go zone with another follower. Hip block pushbreaks - take care leaders

Can't see that I'll be able to get to many of these given the venue and time but I hope that it is a succesful venture.

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    Can you tell us what any of these tracks were? Just curious...
    Yeah. Im more than happy to post a playlist. I think I captured the playlist as a text file from Itunes yesterday so i will post it up when i get back home to my PC.

One example of a track that would require increadibly slow MJ is Sexi Plexi by Jack Johnson. Tricky one to make look good using MJ. Still possible to dance to it though I guess.
    Another that is really difficult to dance MJ to is "So what the fuss" by Stevie Wonder. That turned off many MJ'ers.

There was one track that I played that I absolutely loved. Its one I havnt heard played here yet - "Change The World" by Eric Clapton. Beeeeautiful.
    Last edited by Paul F; 3rd-September-2007 at 02:02 PM.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    And for those Cerocers who want something a little more local, of course there should be a new evening at Putney, just up the road, assuming it gets off the ground this week
    "Sunday Squeeze" ("Skweaze"? ) innit?

Is "Squeeze" even more of a dumb name than "Smoove"? Hmmm... could be...

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    I found some tracks very tricky and I stuck to WCS all night long. I think the problem I found was that many of them have sections that are crying out for creative interpretation and my footwork and lead are just not up to the job yet.
    That will be the intro to Norah Jones - Day is Done then

That will be the intro to Norah Jones - Day is Done then
    No, it's more those 'classic' westie country type tunes (I can't remember the titles except for 'Let It Roll') - you can hear the breaks coming a mile away and know exactly how the music is gonna go but just holding the break isn't enough

Have heard the Clapton one a couple of times elsewhere but can't remember from whom.

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    Have heard the Clapton one a couple of times elsewhere but can't remember from whom.
    Just listening to it now. Really nice tune. Not just for dancing but in general.

I had a great time last night, although once or twice during dances, I lost the end of my slot to late joining MJ-ers. Later on, the MJ-ers (well, the situationally aware ones) congregated at one end of the floor. The venue has been improved greatly since the last time I was there and the floor was mostly good.

I'm in two minds about whether this should be a straight WCS, or more mixed event. I would like it to be based on pure WCS music, with people feeling free to dance other styles (Blues, "Cerene Ceroc" {sorry - couldn't help myself } or whatever. As Sparkles has said, there are plenty of MJ events around, but no real freestyle WCS venues outside of the organised classes to dance socially, rather than practise. My concern is the viability of it as a pure WCS event. It will obviously rely on the students from Paul's class, but will suffer from when people go to weekenders.

As for the music, there wasn't a duff track all night it was sublime!

I'm in two minds about whether this should be a straight WCS, or more mixed event. I would like it to be based on pure WCS music, with people feeling free to dance other styles (Blues, "Cerene Ceroc" {sorry - couldn't help myself } or whatever. As Sparkles has said, there are plenty of MJ events around, but no real freestyle WCS venues outside of the organised classes to dance socially, rather than practise. My concern is the viability of it as a pure WCS event. It will obviously rely on the students from Paul's class, but will suffer from when people go to weekenders.

I`m reliably informed that the venue will be closed over the weekends of the 16th and 30th of sept due to the weekenders........like earlier stated i think it would be prudent to have some degree of flexibility in terms of what is on offer in regard to the music.....
    Last edited by Tiggerbabe; 3rd-September-2007 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Fixing Quotes - Again *sigh*

I`m reliably informed that the venue will be closed over the weekends of the 16th and 30th of sept due to the weekenders........like earlier stated i think it would be prudent to have some degree of flexibility in terms of what is on offer in regard to the music.....

You seem to keep missing out the initial [QUOTE ....] tag in your, err, quotes mate

Yes, you are right. One of the things we did was to ask people who were booked on the course whether they would like to:
    1. Have a more intensive 2-session class the week after a weekender
    2. Just carry on as normal which meant missing a session
    3. Just push everything back by a week for each weekender

This seemed like the most sensible thing to do as there was about 6 or 7 from the course who were going to all 3 weekenders that clash with us - Southport, Bliss and Breeze.
    Option 3 won the public vote

Whether or not the freestyle part of the night carries on - im not sure.

Keep your fingers crossed - I believe they hope to run it in October. I posted about this last week on my "WCS or AT" thread. Paul F came back with the following:
    Thanks Twirly and Paul for your advice. I'm looking forward to October then!

Yeah. Im more than happy to post a playlist. I think I captured the playlist as a text file from Itunes yesterday so i will post it up when i get back home to my PC.

From listening to the first 30 seconds of the songs you mention on iTunes I would give them all a go – not saying I'd do them justice, but if they are the hard ones to MJ to, I figure I'd be happy enough doing my "Serene Ceroc" at your Sunday Smoove...
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkles View Post
    I can understand this concern, but there are already a plethora of Ceroc and MJ-based freestyles to choose from - if people want to Ceroc on a Sunday night then there's always (for example) Berkhamstead, which has two rooms - one with more chilled-out music; I have been there several times in the past and enjoyed it very much. There's nothing wrong with offering something new and different. It's not about excluding people, it's about offering variety and about exposing people to new and interesting things. I don't think Ceroc TM need defending on this one, Foxy, I think they just need to make a decision and be brave enough to stick to it - and by letting this event take place in the first place I believe that's what they're doing.

Personally I would have preferred it to start at 8pm, but the 11pm finish was good (and a nice surprise as I was under the impression it would finish at 10:30pm). No gripes from me though .
    Just a quick note on the freestyle time, when Paul`s WCS intermediate course finishes then Sunday smoove can potentially start as early as 6pm!! so potentially 5 hours of freestyle......sounds like a perfect way to finish the weekend

Just a quick note on the freestyle time, when Paul`s WCS intermediate course finishes then Sunday smoove can potentially start as early as 6pm!! so potentially 5 hours of freestyle......sounds like a perfect way to finish the weekend
    I assume that Paul hopes to continue running classes in that slot though? Some of us are hoping to start beginners in October, and then presumably graduate to the improvers class... After all that work Paul has put in, am sure he wants to keep on using it.

I assume that Paul hopes to continue running classes in that slot though? Some of us are hoping to start beginners in October, and then presumably graduate to the improvers class... After all that work Paul has put in, am sure he wants to keep on using it.

yes of course, with so much to learn from someone who loves it as much as paul does then it can only be a benefit to all, but what isn`t freely available to all to the freestyle time, it`s all very well learning lots of new and exciting stuff but it can be lost unless you get freestyle time to practice....

Quote Originally Posted by Rhythm King View Post
    I had a great time last night, although once or twice during dances, I lost the end of my slot to late joining MJ-ers. Later on, the MJ-ers (well, the situationally aware ones) congregated at one end of the floor. The venue has been improved greatly since the last time I was there and the floor was mostly good.

As someone still struggling to get my feet round wcs I had a great night. It was so nice to have a good class (Thanks Paul & Debs - I'm so glad I percivered sp and actually got on ) followed by plenty of time and opportunity to pracice for once

I know some of the MJ lot were suprised by the music but it was marketed as wcs, blues and whatever the interpretation of scerene ceroc is and with the exception of a few tracks most were MJable if you were a versatile MJ dancer. However it was not a night for speed kings and there were a few there!

Next week should be easier as hopefully word will have spread to those who like the music Paul played and all the speed demons can support Putney! its a fab venue now the floor and air con are done (not sure about Mad Hatters Tea Party wall paper tho!)

Quote Originally Posted by jinski View Post
    As someone still struggling to get my feet round wcs I had a great night. It was so nice to have a good class (Thanks Paul & Debs - I'm so glad I percivered sp and actually got on ) followed by plenty of time and opportunity to pracice for once
    Thanks for the post

I really enjoyed last week but it was a bit frantic for me. I got there so early to identify where everything was. Unfortunately i hadnt given myself enough time to do everything and the venue had been set up as for a normal MJ night i.e no tables or chairs

Its always that first week thing!!

Im really looking forward to this Sunday as I now know what I need to do before the night actually starts. It was all a bit of a rush last week. I have a plan this time now I know the layout and where things are.
    (I actually had to use the light on my phone to find my way around the bathroom last week as I couldnt find the light switch )

Its only little things like the arrangement of the tables, the setup of the floor i.e no need for a stage, the sectioning off of an area for my video sessions, setting up of the music system, lighting, air-con settings and so on. These are all little things that I didnt know before the first week

Im especially looking forward to the class. Last week was very theory-centric with the focus on rolling count and critical timing etc. It needed to be covered though for whats coming up.
    Unusually for me I am going to tone down the theory on Sunday, at least for the first half, in order to get some pretty damn cool syncopations and patterns in.
    I am a nightmare for tweaking my plans though. I always end up with too much material and not enough time

As for the music, much talking has been going on. The end result is that this IS a WCS night and, as such, the music will remain in the WCS camp. However, there is going to be a progression. Earlier in the evening we will be having more upbeat tunes and music that could be considered 'crossover' music (although i will monitor that term ) with the more hardcore WCS tracks being played in the last hour - hour and a half. To be honest thats what I was kind of going for last week too
    As has already been said, pretty much all the music can be danced to with MJ. It just takes interpretation and a willingness to have a go.
    At the end of the day, people who are new to MJ may struggle but those who are experienced and like a challenge will hopefully love it.

Oh, I forgot to mention. Dont think just because you all escaped the country music last week that it wont appear
    Last edited by Paul F; 6th-September-2007 at 11:59 PM. Reason: It read "escaped the country last week" - Sounds like everyone snuck out of England!

Mrs Par and I ventured to Clapham last night. We broke away from Autumn Laze at Fulham to attend and support the new venture that is Sunday Smoove.

Was looking forward to meeting up with the capitals westies at a freestyle event.

BUT Where was everyone?

I know Paul F had personal reasons for not being there.. but where were all the other westies...??

We arrived at 915 pm and was greeted by a smile and lovely greeting on the door. we paid our £7 each and entered the hall.

there was 10 people there. 2 had already changed their shoes and were leaving. We had several dances with those that were left and then decided it might be worth getting an early night and set off back to the south coast.

I did ask the girl on the door if it was possible to have some of my money back as I was disappointed with what was there.

We will always travel miles and miles for a good event with good dancers and good music.

I have already said to Paul f that I thought it was great something new was being offered on the dance scene with a mainly wcs freestyle. I don't wcs but generally like the music style and am willing to dance to anything.

But I don't understand why the WCS set aren't getting out there to support events like this.

Maybe the all had the inlaws round this Sunday and I just picked the wrong Sunday.

I hope the event picks up and gets better support.

I will be in contact with Paul F. and will try to get up again.

A disappointed Under Par

Thread Information