Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sunday Smoove

Sunday Smoove

The new freestyle night at Clapham looks interesting

Sunday Smoove

as does the note on the page

This Freestyle is not suitable for new Ceroc members

Would new members be turned away, does anybody know?

More pertinently for me, does anyone know which DJ is likely to be providing the sassy club beats and lazy latin?

I think I'd quite like to try my serene Ceroc there

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Re: Sunday Smoove

They still make a note of saying that it is £2 for new membership though.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I had it confused with the "Sunday Squeeze" ( Putney), but that's starting on September the 9th apparently.

Although I'm amazed it's not called "Sunday Skweaze" ...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    This Freestyle is not suitable for new Ceroc members

Would new members be turned away, does anybody know?
    I assume that means that if you're new to MJ, you won't appreciate it - which seems reasonable, given that it's aimed at WCS-ers etc.

I think I'd quite like to try my serene Ceroc there
    Is that the same as your slow Ceroc?

The Dashing Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post
    They still make a note of saying that it is £2 for new membership though.
    Not all experienced dancers have a Ceroc membership card..
    Love dance, will travel

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Is that the same as your slow Ceroc?
    You mean blues?

Probably, I am definitely a 'one style fits all' kinda dancer

I did like the phrase 'serene ceroc' though - kudos to whoever at Ceroc London came up with that one.

Blog Entries

You mean blues?
    Well, you never know, if you're going to go for the Supreme World Blues Championship thing at the Ceroc weekender, you may need the practice

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Well, you never know, if you're going to go for the Supreme World Blues Championship thing at the Ceroc weekender, you may need the practice
    Only World Championship? Here's me thinking it was the Intergalactic title.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    Only World Championship? Here's me thinking it was the Intergalactic title.
    Now you're just being silly

I guess I can provide a bit of an explanation but I dont know all the details.

The night will be a night of WCS music. Some deep down and dirty blues (my favourite ) and some more uptempo stuff.

The thing the organisers didnt want to do is to put off people who dont do just WCS and who may like to Ceroc instead. Admittedly, some of the music may be dfficult to interpret for people who are not comfortable with 'adapting' their MJ but thats a learning curve too. Many WCS tracks can be danced to using Modern Jive. Its this duality that I really enjoy seeing at freestyle events. I think of it a lot like the US. Plenty of their social events have a definitive cross style flavour. Although I dont dance all of the styles played at one of their socials I still love going along.

At the end of the day its a bit of a risk putting on a WCS regular freestyle only event, as its still fairly new, but its one that I think is worth trying. Its a nice venue (now its been refurbed) so hopefully it will offer people chance to get lots of practice in. Again though, Ceroc London are not precious about it. If it doesn't work it will just be put down to experience.
    Last edited by Paul F; 28th-August-2007 at 05:25 PM.

What is the difference between Sunday Smoove and Utopia at Twickenham going to be then Paul?
    Last edited by Chef; 28th-August-2007 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Because I can made a typo in a one sentance post

Quote Originally Posted by Chef View Post
    What is the difference between Sunday Smoove and Utopia at Twickenham going to be then Paul?
    Thats a great question. It will, in some respects, be very similar. However, Utopia does delve into the pot of a broad range of the more chilled out music e.g. nu tango, bits of latin etc. This Sunday freestyle will be all WCS music.
    Im not for a second going to say there wont be tracks that cross over as some people's opinion of WCS music will be different than mine but, in the main, the Sunday session will have the more recognisable WCS tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
    This Sunday freestyle will be all WCS music.
    Im not for a second going to say there wont be tracks that cross over as some people's opinion of WCS music will be different than mine but, in the main, the Sunday session will have the more recognisable WCS tracks.
    Cool. I am sure that the WCS dancers, and those that like the music will appreciate a weekly freestyle opportunity.

It is a pity that, like so many other events that I would love to be able to go to regularly (like Jango, WCS at Twickenham, Hipsters, Utopia, Lindy Hop) it is another thing grouped around the West London "hot" zone for dance. Things are spreading out geographically but not fast enough for the liking of this resident of East Sussex. Oh Well, my carbon footprint is just going to have to get bigger.

Cool. I am sure that the WCS dancers, and those that like the music will appreciate a weekly freestyle opportunity.

It is a pity that, like so many other events that I would love to be able to go to regularly (like Jango, WCS at Twickenham, Hipsters, Utopia, Lindy Hop) it is another thing grouped around the West London "hot" zone for dance. Things are spreading out geographically but not fast enough for the liking of this resident of East Sussex. Oh Well, my carbon footprint is just going to have to get bigger.
    I know what you mean. I have had so many people (well, 4 )contact me from areas that are just too far away to ask if something can be arranged away from West London.
    Unfortunately Im no organiser so wouldnt have the confidence to start anything up on my own. I will gladly support anything that starts up though. I suppose its all a case of how much interest there is.

It's interesting that the Forumite who was unhappy with JiveAddiction running freestyle events without running classes and therefore "a parasite" hasn't posted here yet (was it Rocky? I can't remember). Unless of course Ceroc have started training their staff to teach WCS and I've missed something important here on the Forum.

I know what you mean. I have had so many people (well, 4 )contact me from areas that are just too far away to ask if something can be arranged away from West London.
    Unfortunately Im no organiser so wouldnt have the confidence to start anything up on my own. I will gladly support anything that starts up though. I suppose its all a case of how much interest there is.
    That raises another question.

If an organiser that was not part of Ceroc contacted you and asked you to teach classes in their area or at one of their venues what would your position be?

Are you an independant teacher that is contracted by Ceroc to do a specific task or are you a Ceroc teacher that can only teach for that organisation exclusively?

I was just wondering how far your support of other events could go?

Blog Entries

The night will be a night of WCS music. Some deep down and dirty blues (my favourite ) and some more uptempo stuff.
    Interesting - thanks. Although that's not really clear from the description.

I was going to say "spelling" but then I saw this:
    nu tango

That raises another question.

If an organiser that was not part of Ceroc contacted you and asked you to teach classes in their area or at one of their venues what would your position be?

Are you an independant teacher that is contracted by Ceroc to do a specific task or are you a Ceroc teacher that can only teach for that organisation exclusively?

I was just wondering how far your support of other events could go?
    I am a freelance teacher who is being retained by Ceroc to teach courses. I havn't been in the CTA for a number of years now.

I would teach for anyone that wanted to expand WCS although I do have pre-conditions. I would not teach a class or course that I perceived as being in direct competition to other events for example. That would not be in the interest of WCS.
    Last edited by Paul F; 28th-August-2007 at 08:28 PM.

I am a freelance teacher who is being retained by Ceroc to teach courses. I havn't been in the CTA for a number of years now.
    WCS courses?

If so, I have a new question....actually an old one that seems relevant again....who dances MJ and who dances Ceroc? I remember Franck saying (a number of years ago admittedly) that he danced Ceroc...but if Ceroc teach both MJ and WCS, how is that now to be defined?
    Last edited by Aleks; 28th-August-2007 at 08:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
    It's interesting that the Forumite who was unhappy with JiveAddiction running freestyle events without running classes and therefore "a parasite" hasn't posted here yet (was it Rocky? I can't remember). Unless of course Ceroc have started training their staff to teach WCS and I've missed something important here on the Forum.
    Hi Aleks. Ceroc London have been using my services as a freelance teacher for sometime now to teach WCS courses. The Sunday freestyle was set up to give the people on the courses (and any others for that matter) the chance to have a regular slot to enable them to practice.

Thread Information