Thread: "Ceroc Taster" in Birnam 12 Sept?

"Ceroc Taster" in Birnam 12 Sept?

I was in Dunkeld today and saw a poster (with a big picture of the blessed Viktor & Lydia on it) for a "Ceroc Taster" class in Birnam Arts Centre on Wed 12 September - "in association with Ceroc Scotland".

Anyone know anything about this? Is it a genuine Ceroc initiative (maybe as a feeder for Perth?) or is someone trying it on?

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

Re: "Ceroc Taster" in Birnam 12 Sept?

It's genuine, John. Elaine, the teacher from Dundee, will be providing the taster session in Birnam.
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

That's fine, just looking after Ceroc's intellectual property rights.

(Not sure who's looking after V&L's image rights, though, as I didn't think they were still involved with Ceroc - but what would I know?)

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    That's fine, just looking after Ceroc's intellectual property rights.

(Not sure who's looking after V&L's image rights, though, as I didn't think they were still involved with Ceroc - but what would I know?)
    probably the picture came from the ceroc picture library! All photos taken for the use of ceroc, so they would have agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by drathzel View Post
    probably the picture came from the ceroc picture library! All photos taken for the use of ceroc, so they would have agreed!
    You're probably right, but I wouldn't want to argue the case if V&L believed any permission they gave at the time is no longer valid now that they are no longer in Ceroc (assuming they aren't, I really don't know.) The law on image rights in this country is a bit fuzzy and the poster could run foul of the law of "passing off" - i.e. that the use of a celebrity's image implies their involvement in, or endorsement of the event - especially if he/she is involved in a competing activity (OK, a bit unlikely in Birnam, but you never know!). And someone going along to Birnam expecting Viktor & Lydia but instead getting Jack & Jill Ordinary might question the truth in advertising!

And I know I should be out dancing on a Saturday night rather than getting involved in Pedants' Corner, but I've got a sore foot!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    You're probably right, but I wouldn't want to argue the case if V&L believed any permission they gave at the time is no longer valid now that they are no longer in Ceroc (assuming they aren't, I really don't know.) The law on image rights in this country is a bit fuzzy and the poster could run foul of the law of "passing off" - i.e. that the use of a celebrity's image implies their involvement in, or endorsement of the event - especially if he/she is involved in a competing activity (OK, a bit unlikely in Birnam, but you never know!). And someone going along to Birnam expecting Viktor & Lydia but instead getting Jack & Jill Ordinary might question the truth in advertising!

And I know I should be out dancing on a Saturday night rather than getting involved in Pedants' Corner, but I've got a sore foot!!!!
    ITS JUST A PICTURE! I used a picture of val and dave recently on a poster and no one expected dave or val at the venues! Instead they got me! I got no complaints!

ITS JUST A PICTURE!
    There are quite strict rules about the use of images of individuals, though I'm not aware of the legislation, I'm sure others on here are. I would guess in the case of V&L, as you said, they would have given permission for that image to be used in publicity material, though I would think Ceroc might be best to have that somewhere in writing to confirm that they are still allowed to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    There are quite strict rules about the use of images of individuals, though I'm not aware of the legislation, I'm sure others on here are. I would guess in the case of V&L, as you said, they would have given permission for that image to be used in publicity material, though I would think Ceroc might be best to have that somewhere in writing to confirm that they are still allowed to use it.
    I'm sure ceroc have organised something or we wouldnt be allowed to use it! In the case of the val and dave. I did mention in passing i was using it when i spoke to val regarding something else!

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

ITS JUST A PICTURE!
    Depends on the picture really, doesn't it? Depends how prominent they are in the pic, and how much their image is being used to promote Ceroc.

Funnily enough, I read the first post as meaning that V&L would actually be doing a taster class for Ceroc - "funny", I thought, but that's how it read to me.

I used a picture of val and dave recently on a poster and no one expected dave or val at the venues! Instead they got me! I got no complaints!
    The point is that Val and Dave are Ceroc employees, but V&L aren't.

And one can easily see where using a picture of V&L as promotional material would be dodgy - for example, to promote a Ceroc venue that's in direct competition with a (non-Ceroc) venue where they're actually teaching.

P.S. I dare you to not use a single exclamation mark in a whole post. Go on, give it a go

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    The point is that Val and Dave are Ceroc employees, but V&L aren't.

And one can easily see where using a picture of V&L as promotional material would be dodgy - for example, to promote a Ceroc venue that's in direct competition with a (non-Ceroc) venue where they're actually teaching.

P.S. I dare you to not use a single exclamation mark in a whole post. Go on, give it a go
    Somehow i dont think V&L would be teaching a rival class in Birnam but hey i could be wrong.

see i did it.

see i did it.
    Yeah, but you have 4 in your sig!!!!*

*Multiple added just for DJ, to make up for Drathzel's admirable restraint

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    Yeah, but you have 4 in your sig!!!!*

*Multiple added just for DJ, to make up for Drathzel's admirable restraint

I think i did good

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    .......Funnily enough, I read the first post as meaning that V&L would actually be doing a taster class for Ceroc - "funny", I thought, but that's how it read to me............
    I did too but knew it had to be wrong

With so many good looking as well as talented CTA teachers I am surprised that Mike hasn't organised a new photo shoot - the V & L photos as still in general circulation even though Viktor move on years ago. At least Rob May & Analisa Martin are still part of Ceroc (their very very old photo appears to be the Ceroc flagship photo)

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

I'm sure ceroc have organised something or we wouldnt be allowed to use it! In the case of the val and dave. I did mention in passing i was using it when i spoke to val regarding something else!
    Better check with Dave though it might not be moral or ethical... and Dave is the man to talk to re ethics

Quote Originally Posted by under par View Post
    Better check with Dave though it might not be moral or ethical... and Dave is the man to talk to re ethics
    Dont worry you cant actually see his face in my posters! Just the gorgeous Val! he he!

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Somehow i dont think V&L would be teaching a rival class in Birnam but hey i could be wrong.
    It was a hypothetical example of why such material might be dodgy - but if it's being used as general publicity material all over the country, it's maybe less hypothetical.

Considering that Ceroc organisers are often very funny about people taking photos in their venues, it seems ironic that they're so cavalier with the photos they use themselves.

see i did it.

Thread Information