Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Natural ability or time been around ?

Re: psychology of dance

Originally posted by Sheepman
    ....... and as I'm sure most of you know he is an absolute star.
    Greg
    Absolutely Greg.

Ive only spoken to Andy very briefly and im sure he wouldnt have a clue who i am (as many wouldnt) but i think Andy is one of the nicest people you could ever meet. A great ambassador for dancing.

On another tack entirely, one extremely useful exercise we did this week at Joseph & Trish's workshop (another gorgeous couple to watch dance) was, only being allowed to use one move (the first move, return) to a track - in this case "Big Spender". Loads of attitude, breaks, light and shade etc. What a fantastic exercise - so much you can do with one move. Use as many beats as you like, head turns, wiggles, crouch down, use your whole body. Try it sometime.
    ==================================
    Sounds like a really useful exercise! - the nearest I have seen to that is from Lindy Hop teachers like Simon and Taina at Herrang, but I expect it's been employed in many modern jive style workshops...and I have been to Lindy classes where you have to dance with only a llimited repertoire of moves - for the same reason.

And yes, this thread has a lot of interesting comment already - it's good to hear Mary's views on following Nigel. What always amazes me is that so much of what he dances seems improvised but his partners always find it easy to follow....
    Yogi

I have been following this thread with great interest, hoping that some of the previously mentioned "dance idols" eg. Viktor, Nigel Andy, Rena etc. would respond with their views. Unfortunately, they haven't, so we shall all have to resort to conjecture as far as their talent is concerned.

From my personal viewpoint, I subscribe to the school of thought: "Success is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration". I firmly believe that the standard of dancing I am at now is due almost entirely to hard work. Years of classes, private lessons, workshops and of course practise, practise & more practise!

As I have been dancing since the age of 6, it is sometimes difficult to separate hard work from natural ability. But I am certain that had I not had all those years of training (in various dance styles), I would not be dancing the way I do now. However, I also accept that for some people, no amount of training or practise will get them beyond the "intermediate" level. Therefore there has to be some element of natural ability in order to succeed at the very top level.

That said, I'm sure DavidB will say that as an ex-rugby player, he has no natural ability at all for dancing and that all our successes (in dance competitions) has been due to sheer hard work. Well ........ he's right! Does show you, though, what can be achieved if you are prepared to work for it. As David said in his post earlier, 80% of the top dancers got there through natural ability; the other 20% through hard work. David & I fall into the latter 20% (that is, if we qualify for 'top dancer' status ).

At the end of the day, isn't Ceroc about having fun? So success should be defined by the amount of fun we have on the dance floor rather than on trying to look like a dance god, me thinks.

LilyB

The Oracle
    Originally posted by LilyB
    I'm sure DavidB will say that as an ex-rugby player, he has no natural ability at all for dancing
    I never had any natural ability for rugby either!

B.T.C.
    Originally posted by DavidB
    I never had any natural ability for rugby either!
    Modesty again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I actually captained the school rugby team but had no idea of the rules . I was quite fast and as a winger I got to keep out of trouble - well I wasn't going into those srums with all those brutes !!

We used to get thrashed on a regular basis

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Bill
    We used to get thrashed on a regular basis
    yeah but what about on the pitch???

B.T.C.
    (that is, if we qualify for 'top dancer' status ).

At the end of the day, isn't Ceroc about having fun? So success should be defined by the amount of fun we have on the dance floor rather than on trying to look like a dance god, me thinks.
    No doubt that you are considered amongst the best couples around.......and rightly so

And agreed. Ceroc is about fun and that's why it's been so successful. Seeing the likes of you and David, N&N, V& L has and will continue to inspire less experienced dancers and though the vast majority of us won't ever reach the same level it does at least encourage us to continue.

All the best for Australia.

Originally posted by Bill
    No doubt that you are considered amongst the best couples around.......and rightly so

And agreed. Ceroc is about fun and that's why it's been so successful. Seeing the likes of you and David, N&N, V& L has and will continue to inspire less experienced dancers and though the vast majority of us won't ever reach the same level it does at least encourage us to continue.

All the best for Australia.
    Bill's just said exactly what I was thinking. Was hoping you'd post to this thread, Lily!
    Rachel

Commercial Operator
    From my personal viewpoint, I subscribe to the school of thought: "Success is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration".
    That's why I hadn't specifically mentioned your name in my previous post, 'cos I knew you'd say that!

At the end of the day, isn't Ceroc about having fun? So success should be defined by the amount of fun we have on the dance floor
    Thank you Lily, on that basis, if there's anyone out there more "successful" than me I want to know how!! I just hope that some of that rubs off on my partners!

Greg

Paul F's new avatar.

Love your new avatar Paul, Dorothy's 'Ruby slippers', I assume ? Better warn you though, Bill has a penchant for red high heels!!!!

Heather.

Re: Paul F's new avatar.

Originally posted by Heather
    Love your new avatar Paul, Dorothy's 'Ruby slippers', I assume ? Better warn you though, Bill has a penchant for red high heels!!!!

Heather.
    Your absolutely right Heather - well about the ruby slippers , i cant comment on Bills penchant
    Im working on a different avata to make it, hopefully, slightly more obvious. Lord knows what some may think with my high heeled avatar

It all comes as a result of pressure from the toilet roll laden , shrunken headed one.
    Ever since i bought some - lets say, rather bright dance trainers she calls me Wiz now from the wizard of Oz.

I shall exact my revenge but im just biding my time at the moment

................Or maybe i was subconsciously trying to make myself more appealing to Franck so he would recind my probation term

B.T.C.

Re: Paul F's new avatar.

Originally posted by Heather

Heather.
    And I haven't worn them for ages ..................better look them out..............you never know when they might be useful

Thread Information