Thread: Lap top problem!!!

Lap top problem!!!

Help! for some unexplained reason the right click on my Dell LAptop has decided to stop working, anyone know how i can overcome this issue?? without pressing every button and possibly causing more problems than desired i`m sure there is an alternate way...all serious suggestions would be welcomed.............

Re: Lap top problem!!!

Sounds like it's had it's day then, unless you fancy taking the laptop apart (not for the faint hearted) to see if you can find the problem. Is it still under warranty or is it past that? You can either get an external mouse to take over from the trackpad and regain your right click or you could send it for repair, either back to Dell or find a local shop that might be able to help.

Afraid that's all I can think of

Paul

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Knowing dell laptops, it's probley the button itself that is broken.

Can you attach a mouse and right click?

Dells are put together in the cheapest possible way. I have dealt with atleast 3 in the last few years where the left button has broken.

How old is it? Is it still under warrenty?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

its only a few pound for a new mouse - that would be your best bet.

ive had a few Dell laptops too and I agree with Barty they have a build quality of a rice pudding house.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxyFunkster View Post
    Help! for some unexplained reason the right click on my Dell LAptop has decided to stop working, anyone know how i can overcome this issue?? without pressing every button and possibly causing more problems than desired i`m sure there is an alternate way...all serious suggestions would be welcomed.............
    Bottom row of keyboard, towards right hand side, varies from keyboard to keyboard, is the 'right-click' key. You may find it between the Windows key and the Ctrl key, and the ideogram on the key usually looks a bit like an arrow pointing at a menu. On almost every occasion on which you might right-click, you can press this button instead.

Sometimes, you may have to reposition and even left-click the mouse to get the appropriate menu.

This should help until you buy a new mouse, which is 99% likely to be the cause of the problem, especially if the problem persists after a re-boot.

These menus, incidentally, are known as 'context menus' and the key is the context menu key. The solution is much less likely to work if e.g. you are inside Photoshop and wish to right-click to load a selection as a mask, and similar situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post
    Knowing dell laptops, it's probley the button itself that is broken.

Can you attach a mouse and right click?

Dells are put together in the cheapest possible way. I have dealt with atleast 3 in the last few years where the left button has broken.

How old is it? Is it still under warrenty?
    it is just under warranty luckily, they are coming to collect it and return it within 5 working days, although stupidly i didn`t consider the external mouse option which is my best bet really.....i`ve had it for nearly 2 years and it`s been great, not a thing has gone wrong with it till now

thanks for the advice

Thread Information