Thread: Christmas shopping

Re: Christmas shopping

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    Farther Christmas can start from 1st December
    is he from a long long long way away?

Mrs Pretzelmeister

Quote Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
    I take it I'm the only one to have started preparing for this?
    Christmas party venue booked (last December).
    I've even started MAKING some presents already.
    This is fine. Planning for large/corporate events means booking Christmas lunch well in advance but you'd do that for any event (wedding, special birthdays etc). We've had to move our Graduate & Student 'Christmas' lunch up to 30th Nov as our usual first Friday in Dec had been swiped by someone else last January! Can't go later as the Students go home, so November it is. Frankly Christmas hasn't got much to do with it, it's just an excuse for a knees-up.

Making presents I am knitting already but that's for imminent/extant offspring of friends. I will soon start knitting for my smaller relations' Christmas presents. Cake & pudding happen in October-ish. Homemade chocolates in the couple of days before.

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    I try not to think about Christmas before my birthday, at the end of November.

This year is an exception though, as Beo and I have already talked about who is going to travel where and when - work permitting. Have to, if we don't want to pay a fortune for fligths and see each other over the Christmas period.
    While I live with PretzelMeister, my family are a long way away. We've had one conversation about possible permutations of families/locations for Christmas/Boxing Day, and will have to make decisions soon (even if it is only that we'll take a car rather than book advance flights).

Quote Originally Posted by whitetiger1518 View Post
    I'm afraid I am a planner - I never have enough time in November or december and the streets are full of panic buyers... I would much rather buy things for people whenever I find them... If that means in the January sales (I've done it before ) then so be it... I think I've got six or so of my family so far.
    I buy presents as and when I find them. Yes, that includes the January sales. It goes for birthdays as much as Christmas. I don't see the point buying something for someone just to have a thing to unwrap on a certain day (unless we're talking about kids who get small 'fun' presents) so all my close friends know they may not get a present at Xmas/b'day but will get something 'just right' at a random time. Or I hoard things for Xmas. I bought my Mum's present about 2 weeks ago because she's nearly impossible to find things for and I just happened to find something that was just right.

I absolutely loathe the crush on Christmas Eve as last-minute shoppers dash round in increasing frustration & desperation to get it all done. It also means you end up spending far more.

I buy Christmas decorations in the January sales. I am fond of the very beautiful glass baubles which usually cost upwards of £3 each. However since I am not a slave to fashion I'm happy to wait for the sales and use them next year. My Christmas decoration collection extends to two closely packed crates and I'd need a 10-foot tree to display it all. (eyes the 11ft ceilings in Pretzelmeister's flat with satisfaction...)

When I first moved away from home a tradition developed that the tree waited to be decorated on Christmas Eve, when I got home. In my own flat I moved that back so I had time to appreciate my tree before going away for 2 weeks over Xmas/New Year, but the principle is the same - the tree should be up for around 2 weeks, not from mid-November. Besides, if you put a real tree up too early it looks all draggled by Christmas Day.

So I'm not bah-humbugging, I just think Christmas should occupy 2 weeks of the year not 22.

I used to work with someone from Belfast. He'd book his flights back there for Christmas time when he returned to work in January!

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Chain View Post
    My Tesco was selling Hot X buns yesterday

Have I missed Christmas 2007?

Daisy

(A Confused Little Flower)
    This raises an interesting point. Shops now sell 'seasonal' products almost round the year, and I think it's a shame. I used to look forward to hot cross buns at easter - now, when you can buy them at any time, I don't bother with them at all.

I feel as if we've lost something, but I don't know what.

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970 View Post
    is he from a long long long way away?
    Yes Scotland but you have all the chimneys blocked to save heat so he soon pops down south

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    Yes Scotland but you have all the chimneys blocked to save heat so he soon pops down south
    Ah I see.. A bit like me then.. Flies south to avail himself of the good company , good food and warmth.

mind you I suppose compared to the North Pole even Aberdeen would seem pleasantly warm.

Yup .. us Scots, block the chimneys to stop the heat escaping.. and pee in the water we sell to the English

Thread Information