Thread: Membership Cards

Membership Cards

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away it was once vogue for all up and coming Jive venues to issue membership cards.
    These were held by the recipients like a badge of honour, a medal, a sign of the recipients worth. Personally I have held JiveParty, Jango, LSDS, RebelRoc and of course the grandaddy of them all Ceroc infact I have had 4 ceroc cards because I was forced to edit, replace, rebuy the damn things.

The question zinging around inside my mind bashing the pea sized brain that I am obviously in ownership of because of my inability to answer this is WHY?

Why do I need a membership card from Ceroc when non of the other companies that I now frequent seem to need them.

What use is it to the franchisee to swipe a card, oh no! the card won't swipe actually, I'll just type in your number, ah, ermmm, have you ever been to this venue before, oh well can you just fill in this form for our records. . . .
    What a complete load of twaddle.

If the franchisee somehow gets benefit from new cards issued or number of cards totally issued from a venue, then someone would probably need to tell CerocHeadOffice that their franchisees are sort of cooking the books.

The other possible uses of a card system are lost on me unless Ceroc intend on selling my details to dance related - or other parties for the personal data held. Could it be that the only true reason they have a card system is to allow Franchisee's to buy lap tops and card readers for business use and thus VAT free?

So what benefit is there to having the card?

Of course there is the added benefit to the Franchisee of getting you with the old 'It's and extra pound for you because you don't have your card!'
    Hey it's good to get something for nothing isn't it, but what do we get for nothing apart from nothing?

Is it time for Ceroc to drop the card and just let you in because you turned up and paid on the door?

Re: Membership Cards

Quote Originally Posted by Trousers View Post
    What use is it to the franchisee to swipe a card, oh no! the card won't swipe actually, I'll just type in your number, ah, ermmm, have you ever been to this venue before, oh well can you just fill in this form for our records. . . .
    What a complete load of twaddle.

Is it time for Ceroc to drop the card and just let you in because you turned up and paid on the door?
    I suspect, though I'm sure that someone else will confirm, that the card is proof of your membership of the "club" - that £1 you pay on your first visit that gives you a lifetimes membership (sentence? ). And that'll be for insurance/licensing reasons I suspect.

As for this thing of having to fill in a form every time you go to a new region, a big Really annoys me too. If have a card, I'm on the database. Don't ask me to waste my time and your paper by filling in information I've already given the organisation. It's ridiculous.

And no, my card doesn't swipe either

I got a new card, and now it swipes!

The point of the card is because it's faster to swipe a card than to search for a name, plus it's difficult for the folks at the door to remember everyone's names, so they would have to ask each week, which might get a little bothersome...

Why bother at all? Because hidden in all the data of all those swipes is some useful knowledge...
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Ceroc kent sends out email with special offers like free entry if you have not been for a while. They ob tell this from the card swipes.

Also Ceroc HQ can use it to keep tabs on the venues, that there are the correct reported amounts of attendees, what venues are performing well etc.

Im sure there is some official reasons (and poss legal) too.

Blog Entries

its like everything else they do..... MARKETING.

This enables them to send emails, updates, workshop information and also make you feel like your getting something for your membership fee.

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    I got a new card, and now it swipes!

The point of the card is because it's faster to swipe a card than to search for a name, plus it's difficult for the folks at the door to remember everyone's names, so they would have to ask each week, which might get a little bothersome...

Why bother at all? Because hidden in all the data of all those swipes is some useful knowledge...
    But why do they need to know who is there? or is there other useful information stored . . . .?

You don't get to give ID details when you go to a night club or a cinema or as i said most of the other dance clubs that are about now.

I also bet it's quicker to take a tenner, give change and say thank you than to take a card, swipe it, curse over it not working, take a tenner, give change and say thank you!

But why do they need to know who is there? or is there other useful information stored . . . .?

You don't get to give ID details when you go to a night club or a cinema or as i said most of the other dance clubs that are about now.

I also bet it's quicker to take a tenner, give change and say thank you than to take a card, swipe it, curse over it not working, take a tenner, give change and say thank you!
    I don't think it is about WHO is there its a mixture of all your details that count. It is useful for a franchisee to know who goes to what venue and where they have come from so they know where to advertise and market. They can then send you updates, information about big events and offers if you havent attended for a while. Ceroc is bigger and more commercial which is why they probably operate in this way where as the smaller clubs do not. Nightclubs don't care who they get as long as they make money. They only (generally) run one club so they only have to advertise and market one venue where as a franchisee for Ceroc will have many to advertise and market.

As for signing up again at different venues, i think this is because when you join a franchise, lets say Kent, they get your details but it stays within Kent so if you go to London your card is unknown so they ask for your details.

Personally i don't feel it is an issue, esp if i get sent useful information and offers!

S. x
    Last edited by sparkledancer; 20th-August-2007 at 07:27 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

Quote Originally Posted by sparkledancer View Post
    Personally i don't feel it is an issue, esp if i get sent useful information and offers!

S. x
    Pray tell . . . .
    why do you think advertising is required. It strikes me that the advertising is only required for those people not already in the dance scene. Once you are in most people tend toward the addicted side and don't need advertising moreso need help to reduce the dancing. Also I see no advertising heading my way except from email which again would require no more than a peice of paper filled in on joining (no card required. . . . LeRoc do that I think)

more importantly though what offers have you ever recieved from a Ceroc Franchise? Could I be missing out? How could that be so when I must have details with at least 5 Franchises including three of the biggest I think.

more importantly though what offers have you ever recieved from a Ceroc Franchise? Could I be missing out? How could that be so when I must have details with at least 5 Franchises including three of the biggest I think.
    Trousers, go to a venue once or twice, don't go for 6 months or more (Ceroc Greenwich it took about 6 months to try and lure me back in, the Casbah took a year). They'll send you a free pass or two.

Am sure there was a discussion on here a few months back about free passes.

I think someone musta fancied you love!

Ne'er happens to me! or the admit ones.

I think someone musta fancied you love!

Ne'er happens to me! or the admit ones.

They were casting their net very wide then - the night I went to the Casbah I think every other person had a free pass, including the blokes!

Thread Information