Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you want from your Ceroc teacher??

What do you want from your Ceroc teacher??

Having just passed my CTA training i've now lbeen et loose on stage in the london area!!! how they let me on stage i`ll never know!!! anyway as there are alot of people on this forum with loads of experience of going to a variety of classes i want to know what punters want and don`t want from their teacher/venue etc....i`m sure this subject has been covered before but as i`m relatively new the the whole thing i`d like a up to date list of opinions....

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Re: What do you want from your Ceroc teacher??

First off, congrats

I've seen quite a few new teachers recently and they have all taken a few months to settle in and develop their own style of teaching. Guess it's a bit like your driving test. Do it perfect then after you pass, start crossing your hands when you turn the wheel.

Alot of teachers I have seen recently have started droping the semi circle and teaching slotted. I don't know if that has come from Ceroc HQ or if it's their own thing but it is good that it is being done.

The only thing I think alot of ceroc teachers miss out on is giving styling tips for men and women (esp as it is easy to forget the opposite sex when teaching) and tips on floorcraft etc.

Good luck with it all.

you, on stage, with a microphone... Ceroc London must have lost it completely

Congrats though on completing the training.

As for what we want from a teacher... friendly, encouraging, emphasis on good technique and manners (drops, floorcraft etc), actively seeks to dance with the punters after the class.

Quote Originally Posted by Caro View Post
    you, on stage, with a microphone... Ceroc London must have lost it completely

Congrats though on completing the training.

As for what we want from a teacher... friendly, encouraging, emphasis on good technique and manners (drops, floorcraft etc), actively seeks to dance with the punters after the class.
    and a DVD with any private lessons info ASAP .....you`ll have it today...xx

FoxyFunkster your question made me think, and I just realised that I dont actually think I have seen any real teaching being done by the teacher at any ceroc venue I have been too.
    What I have seen has been a dance demonstration being made on stage by the "teacher" that us "students" has then copied. After the beginner and intermediate dance "demonstration" the teacher seems to dissapear. I have never seen the teacher on the dance floor, nor by the dance floor giving instruction or feedback to any of the students.
    Last edited by Connie; 20th-August-2007 at 11:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by woodface
    I've seen quite a few new teachers recently and they have all taken a few months to settle in and develop their own style of teaching. Guess it's a bit like your driving test. Do it perfect then after you pass, start crossing your hands when you turn the wheel.

Alot of teachers I have seen recently have started droping the semi circle and teaching slotted. I don't know if that has come from Ceroc HQ or if it's their own thing but it is good that it is being done.

The only thing I think alot of ceroc teachers miss out on is giving styling tips for men and women (esp as it is easy to forget the opposite sex when teaching) and tips on floorcraft etc.
    The slotted thing is a good thing to teach although most do it during the class format anyway, some just forget to do it when they freestyle, totally agree with you about the styling tips, it`s all very well teaching people moves but the small styles points within the moves are arguably the most important thing, the semi circle thing is primarily for beginners so thats understandable why certain people would concentrate on it less at inter level, although you have to bear in mind we do get people who have not got alot of dance experience in the inter class, so it`s a fine line, of course we only have half and hour for the inter lesson.....
    Last edited by ducasi; 20th-August-2007 at 12:03 PM. Reason: please "quote" your quotes!

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

In the SW we are lucky enough to have Richard Beouvision as our teacher and franchise owner. He will take time out to make sure he dances with as many people he can and is very approchable. Norm sits at the door at the end of the night and says goodbye to people too.

On a THursday when he is not teaching he still comes to classes and gives tips, takes part in the classes and dances during the freestyles.

Congrats on passing your CTA!

I think from a Ceroc teacher I want someone on stage who is friendly and down to earth and someone who dances with the punters also.. Someone approachable and who has "been there". The one thing I despise is someone who comes across as a know-it-all.

Good luck and let us know how it goes

Caz

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    FoxyFunkster your question made me think, and I just realised that I dont actually think I have seen any real teaching being done by the teacher at any ceroc venue I have been too.
    What I have seen has been a dance demonstration being made on stage by the "teacher" that us "students" has then copied. After the beginner and intermediate dance "demonstration" the teacher seems to dissapear. I have never seen the teacher on the dance floor, nor by the dance floor giving instruction or feedback to any of the students.

I would hope connie that what you have seen is not the norm at Ceroc venues, but your right, it`s easy to see who is passionate about teaching and helping people and who isn`t, working the floor and dancing with everyone is a MUST IMHO, my attitude will be this, i`m going to try to help people to dance and not just give them moves, also i will be on the floor the whole freestyle, you can forgive people who maybe aren`t the best teachers but you cannot forgive people who don`t put the effort it......i may not ever be the best ceroc teacher in the world but i would hope i would never have my committment, passion and energy as a teacher called into question......

Quote Originally Posted by FoxyFunkster View Post
    I would hope connie that what you have seen is not the norm at Ceroc venues....
    I am sure it's not, but that has unfortunately been my experience so far. Though I have only been to two different venues and only been about 10 times in total.

I'll try out Ceroc London in Wimbledon this week and see if there is a teacher or a "demonstrator" there.

Quote Originally Posted by woodface View Post
    In the SW we are lucky enough to have Richard Beouvision as our teacher and franchise owner. He will take time out to make sure he dances with as many people he can and is very approchable. Norm sits at the door at the end of the night and says goodbye to people too.

On a THursday when he is not teaching he still comes to classes and gives tips, takes part in the classes and dances during the freestyles.
    He is different class as a Ceroc teacher, a good role model as a ceroc teacher methinks, i am lucky in that the teacher who inspired me to dance and teach never left the dance floor and also took personal responsibilty for keeping the feel good factor at the venue he taught high, again they are things that i`ll be concentrating on.....

Congratulations – hope to be taught by you somewhere soon. Any idea where you’ll be teaching yet?

Good points made about style tips already. One of the best workshops I’ve attended, Tessalicious was the demo. She gave lots of tips as well as the teacher, and they seemed more like a team. Also makes the lead realise that the dance is a team effort.

Emphasise floorcraft too, particularly observation.

One thing that Russell does at Greenwich classes is part way through the intermediate routine, give the leads a chance to practise the couple of moves they’ve learnt so far, and to mix them in with other moves to see how they might use them in freestyle. He also uses this as an opportunity to emphasise floorcraft, reminding people to avoid bumping into others. And encourages use of the slot (although not everyone takes notice of this).

Efficiency in moving the class on. If you’ve got too many of either sex it’s a nightmare, and very boring whilst everyone shuffles round. I wish that teachers would use the method of spacing the spare dancers between the couples more when they’ve got huge numbers of women (or men) over, as it really speeds things up and you get more teaching time.

Working the floor afterwards is good too. Approachability has already been mentioned.

I assume that since you’ve were selected for the course you’ve already got the humour and patience to deal with the class

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by FoxyFunkster;
    want to know what punters want and don`t want from their teacher/venue etc.
    Start the lesson on time.

Finish the lesson on time.

Teach us moves that are leadable in freestlye.

There. Sorted.

Daisy

(An Easily Pleased Little Flower)

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Chain View Post
    Teach us moves that are leadable in freestlye.

Congratulations!
    Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    I wish that teachers would use the method of spacing the spare dancers between the couples more when they’ve got huge numbers of women (or men) over, as it really speeds things up
    Quote Originally Posted by Caz View Post
    ...I want someone on stage who is friendly and down to earth and someone who dances with the punters also.. Someone approachable and who has "been there". The one thing I despise is someone who comes across as a know-it-all.
    A big to all that!
    Just a thought: as a beginner, I prefer the style points are left to the intermediate lesson. In fact, if you left the style points to the end in intermediate, I wouldn't complain! (I have been in a lesson where the teacher was very keen on doling out pointers for how to "look smooth" as he went along, and it meant some newbie intermediates were concentrating harder on what to do with their "spare" hand etc., rather than on how to provide a clear lead.)
    I've seen what was posted about Richard Beouvision, and although I've never been to his classes, his attitude rings a bell:
    One of my favourite instructors simply loves to dance, whether he is partnering a beginner, or an experienced dancer, a cute young thing, or a well-worn 50-something like me, and that "vibe" is picked up by all his students.

Quote Originally Posted by JCB View Post
    One of my favourite instructors simply loves to dance, whether he is partnering a beginner, or an experienced dancer, a cute young thing, or a well-worn 50-something like me, and that "vibe" is picked up by all his students.
    You can always tell someone who loves to dance.. If the teacher loves to dance then this comes across no matter what.. one of the worst things is to go to a class where the teacher is there to teach and then goes home straight after, not wanting to be there, just "doing their job" and not projecting the enthusiasm that is needed in Ceroc..... I have to say at my local Ceroc venue - the teachers there - Jamie, Kali and Jo - all love to dance and you can tell that from the way that they teach and their overall attitude, making the night enjoyable for all

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

I've seen too many "couldn't give a damn" teachers about and it is a shame as it does refelect on to the pupils.

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    I wish that teachers would use the method of spacing the spare dancers between the couples more when they’ve got huge numbers of women (or men) over,

I used to really hate this method until I realised that it gives me the opportunity to avoid those men that I really don't like. It's dead easy to drop out of the lesson just before you get to these partners, go to the loo / have a drink / then slot yourself back in the line at a different point (usually just before the most gorgeous man in the room).

I still hate this method, but now, I can see a positive aspect.

Daisy

(A Crafty Little FLower)

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Chain View Post
    I used to really hate this method until I realised that it gives me the opportunity to avoid those men that I really don't like. It's dead easy to drop out of the lesson just before you get to these partners, go to the loo / have a drink / then slot yourself back in the line at a different point (usually just before the most gorgeous man in the room).

I still hate this method, but now, I can see a positive aspect.

Daisy

(A Crafty Little FLower)
    I have see dancers walk straight past and off the floor and not return until freestyle because they did not like a man

If that method would make it easy to miss those that make you uncomfortable then it should be used more often

Am going to keep adding things as I think of them...

Always demo the routine - beginners and intermediate.

I remember one night at Fulham, the teacher didn't demo the routine (a habit of his). A lead I know really didn't like it when we got part way through, and dropped out (I didn't like it much either, but it's easier for a follow). They had been asking for extra men to help out in the beginners review, and he would have gone and done that if he'd seen the routine first and realised he didn't want to do it. So he and the beginners lost out.

I like it, as at the start, the routine can look hideously difficult. But then it's broken down, and you get a real sense of achievement at the end when you realise (even as a follow) that you can do it - must be an even bigger kick for the leads.

Thread Information