Thread: weekender newcomer

weekender newcomer

Hi! I will be a newcomer to weekenders although I have done quite a bit of modern jive. I may be able to attend only one weekender per year, have read lots of threads, but still confused about choosing which weekender. Looks like Southport in June is very popular, but reasons seem kind of vague. Could you provide more specifics about the different weekenders in terms of

music
    age range of attendees
    level of dancers
    quality of instructors
    number of attendees
    snootiness of attendees
    anything else noteworthy?

Also, I noticed that several people indicated that the worst thing about a weekender was the accommodations/cold. Could you provide specifics? I typed the names of several accommodations into tripadvisor.com and the results were beyond horrifying. Are they exagerrated? Thanks! Limited time and money compel me to ask....

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

Re: weekender newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonhead View Post
    Hi! I will be a newcomer to weekenders although I have done quite a bit of modern jive. I may be able to attend only one weekender per year, have read lots of threads, but still confused about choosing which weekender. Looks like Southport in June is very popular, but reasons seem kind of vague. Could you provide more specifics about the different weekenders in terms of

music
    age range of attendees
    level of dancers
    quality of instructors
    number of attendees
    snootiness of attendees

Also, I noticed that several people indicated that the worst thing about a weekender was the accommodations/cold. Could you provide specifics? I typed the names of several accommodations into tripadvisor.com and the results were beyond horrifying. Are they exagerrated? Thanks! Limited time and money compel me to ask....
    You dont say where you are from? I ask because my first weekender was a local one and i found it a good place to start. You know most of the people there, or at least recognise them so you will feel more at home and relaxed.

music....In my opinion until recently very similar at all weekenders, i`d follow Marc F, Jon Baker, Trampy, Tiggerbabe, Rocky and SF, in fact there are too many excellent DJ`s about to mention, you`ll not be disappointed by the music IMHO generally.

age range of attendees....Getting younger and younger methink....teens to OAP`s, very similar again at all the venues

level of dancers Southport stands out for this catergory simply because of the location in the UK, brings the best of scotland and england together, but generally the standard in the blues rooms at all weekenders is top quality.....

quality of instructors Ceroc have some fantastic teachers, from a variety of backgrounds, Simon and Nicole, Russel Saxby, Richard Beauvision,Emma and Alex etc etc spring to mind, southport differs in as they don`t have there own teachers they have to recruit from all over, the benefits are the amazing Amercians that come over to teach WCS, Jordan and Tat, Parker and Jessica etc etc, Vincent and Flavia, Paul Warden,Amir and Cat stand out but IMHO the others aren`t as strong as ceroc in general, again it`s only my opinion.....

number of attendees....1500+ at southport and Camber methinks....pretty consistent

snootiness of attendees....there isn`t any that i`m aware of, ususally too engrossed in the music to notice things like this,

anything else noteworthy? Jive Addiction`s Southport weekenders are amazing, great teaching line ups, but Ceroc have been raising the bar considerably and really know how to put on a fantastic weekender now, the only negative thing i have to say is that i now have no interest in going to Jive Time weekenders, they are just very poor relations to the other much better organised weekenders IMHO,

as for the accomodation, well you get what you pay for, £100 for so for 3 amazing days/nights of dancing and a chalet is cracking value, some get better acoomodation near the venue at camber, but the chalets are ok, if you are precious about such things then i would consider making alternative arrangements.....hope that helps.......

I would safely say, and forgive me for sounding like a cliche, if there is one weekender you must attend, it is Southport.

This is possibly among the friendliest of events and there are plenty of veterans like myself who have enjoyed the event previously. The key thing to remember is that this is a weekender about dancing and the majority of the time people are spending their time in the complex either doing workshops or dancing in the blues room and terrace.

The restaurant is pretty good as well with a good choice of food and the opportunity to have a proper Sunday lunch. You can also hang out in the bar area with a beer or water and watch other dancers.

Instructors are second to none and Southport is notable for the West Coast Swing teachers, some of whom are legends in that community. If you can get to Southport in February, you will see Benji Schwimmer in action. Check out some of his videos on You Tube. There are also some good MJ teachers from all over who provide some good pointers and tips on how to improve your dancing. Let's just say that you will be ten times more effective as a dancer after you go.

I wouldn't worry too much about the accomodation. It is standard for a holiday camp like Pontins and as I mentioned before, it is more about dancing than staying in your room. I know some people have an al fresco picnic on the grass in the afternoon outside the chalets, but that will depend on the weather.

Stick around the complex after midnight and have a great time dancing. You won't regret it.

best
    johnnyman.

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

I have attended southport and ceroc weekenders and i have to say my best ever weekender was Blaze in May! So i will tell you about it so you know what to look for

OMG the standard was phenomenal!!!

The teachers (not counting myself here) Were amazing, it was a fantasic line up. We had a lot of local talent as well as some flown in from the US so the range of style, teaching and dancing was fab.

It had the friendly atmosphere you only ever get in scotland. There wasnt as many people there as there is at storm or sp but it made for a really cosy atmosphere, you could get plenty of dances with your faves and i met so many gems that i hope will be back in october!

Music was fab as we had tiggerbabes, marc forster, dj bunny and tessalicious to name and few and i dont think i heard a bad track all weekend.

Blaze was really easy to get to as well with no six trains and buses to get when you get to ayr!

Age range was not as young as some weekenders i have been on but as i am 24 i can say that there were people my ages and i didn't feel out of place!

Snootiness..... in scotland..... no way! Everyone was majorly friendly, even the visting teachers were lovely and avaliable for dances whenever you wanted.

Anything else.... above all Blaze was FUN!!!! i had a ball and even cried when i had to come home! Sorry Claire S Cheeks and Simon R for getting wet in the crossfire of my tears!

Don't forget a lot of weekender classes will be simplified taster ones -- great if you haven't done any of that style, but not necessarily so useful if you've done them before.

SpinDr

Thanks! Sounds to me like Southport would be my top pick- love the idea of a large event with famous instructors, etc, but still very concerned about accommodations. Have read about damp, filthy mattresses, mice, woodlice, ants, windows so dirty you can't see through them, freezing, etc at holiday camps. Is Southport the exception? I don't mean to be melodramatic but Ceroc Scotland and tripadvisor have recorded scathing reviews. Are there alternative accommodations reasonably close to the event? Don't mean to be a wimp but have spent more than enough time practicing to be miserable (and/or frozen) and the idea of losing a battle with the elements despite bringing my own space heater and pest control does not appeal.

If the accommodations are a deal breaker for Southport, is there a second best for someone who craves a little more creature comfort? Don't need the Ritz, but I would prefer that humans be the only mammals sharing the room. Thanks!

Thanks! Sounds to me like Southport would be my top pick- love the idea of a large event with famous instructors, etc, but still very concerned about accommodations. Have read about damp, filthy mattresses, mice, woodlice, ants, windows so dirty you can't see through them, freezing, etc at holiday camps. Is Southport the exception? I don't mean to be melodramatic but Ceroc Scotland and tripadvisor have recorded scathing reviews. Are there alternative accommodations reasonably close to the event? Don't mean to be a wimp but have spent more than enough time practicing to be miserable (and/or frozen) and the idea of losing a battle with the elements despite bringing my own space heater and pest control does not appeal.

If the accommodations are a deal breaker for Southport, is there a second best for someone who craves a little more creature comfort? Don't need the Ritz, but I would prefer that humans be the only mammals sharing the room. Thanks!
    I still didn't notive where you are from. If quality of accommodation is your highest priority then I would say that Swish held at the Potters 5* leisure resort in Suffolk and run by Ceroc nights. It is full board and you can arrange to share a table with friends so the whole thing is very friendly. Blues room there was really good too. A little more luxury than the usual weekender and almost sold out already for next Feb. This reminds me I need to book.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thanks! Sounds to me like Southport would be my top pick- love the idea of a large event with famous instructors, etc, but still very concerned about accommodations. Have read about damp, filthy mattresses, mice, woodlice, ants, windows so dirty you can't see through them, freezing, etc at holiday camps. Is Southport the exception?
    Well, it's a Pontins, so it's not the most wonderful of accommodation. But it's no worse than most weekenders, and much better than some (e.g. Beach Boogie, which is really roughing it). I've never had any real problems with accommodation in that way though.

And of course June is usually not a problem, weather-wise, you're not too likely to get too cold.

music
    quality of instructors
    • If music is important, the number of freestyle rooms and hence choices available may be significant. I think Southport advertises 4, and the Ceroc weekenders 3 or less depending on the location

• To get an idea of classes / instructors borrowing some weekender DVDs may be a good strategy (haven't seen any available for Blaze though). It may also help choose the classes you want to do, as lots of teachers pop up repeatedly.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxyFunkster View Post
    level of dancers Southport stands out for this catergory simply because of the location in the UK, brings the best of scotland and england together, ...
    Southport indeed has an excellent location. Whether dancers from a country that only accounts for 1 in 12 of the population of the UK make much difference to the standard is questionable though.

Ceroc have some fantastic teachers, from a variety of backgrounds, Simon and Nicole, Russel Saxby, Richard Beauvision,Emma and Alex etc etc spring to mind, southport differs in as they don`t have there own teachers they have to recruit from all over, the benefits are the amazing Amercians that come over to teach WCS, Jordan and Tat, Parker and Jessica etc etc, Vincent and Flavia, Paul Warden,Amir and Cat stand out but IMHO the others aren`t as strong as ceroc in general, again it`s only my opinion....
    But is that opinion the opinion of a Ceroc Teacher and/or someone affiliated with Ceroc or an independent opinion.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FoxyFunkster View Post
    southport differs in as they don`t have there own teachers they have to recruit from all over, the benefits are the amazing Amercians that come over to teach WCS, Jordan and Tat, Parker and Jessica etc etc, Vincent and Flavia, Paul Warden,Amir and Cat stand out but IMHO the others aren`t as strong as ceroc in general, again it`s only my opinion....
    I've not heard this before, care to expand?

Admittedly, Southport doesn't have pole or chair dancing classes...

music
    age range of attendees
    level of dancers
    quality of instructors
    number of attendees
    snootiness of attendees

I would say , go to the next weekender coming up reasonably close to where you live.

Then take it from there. See what you think and see if you want to "make time" to do another.

To say you can only make one a year.... I do not believe you, I think you are digging and probing to try to get people to compare.

For example I know of no-one who cannot make 2 week-ends free in one whole year and cannot save 200 pounds in a whole year....

Go to one and maybe priorities in life will change.

To get an idea of classes / instructors borrowing some weekender DVDs may be a good strategy (haven't seen any available for Blaze though). It may also help choose the classes you want to do, as lots of teachers pop up repeatedly.
    Franck Definitely made up a DVD of Blaze - (I got mine at the event )

I think he still has some.. PM him and ask..

Whitetiger

Thanks! Sounds to me like Southport would be my top pick- love the idea of a large event with famous instructors, etc, but still very concerned about accommodations. Have read about damp, filthy mattresses, mice, woodlice, ants, windows so dirty you can't see through them, freezing, etc at holiday camps. Is Southport the exception?
    They are all fairly basic, and I have been in budget accomodation at Camber where the wall was literally wet to the touch. But if you book the Club chalets at Southport they are comfortable enough - I think they have been refurbished in the past few years and have newer beds, microwave etc.

I've never seen insects in them, everything has been relatively clean - sometimes someone gets a chalet that hasn't been cleaned because its got missed but they will move you/get it cleaned if that happens. That hasn't happened to me, but the kettle did start leaking at a Southport weekender - I went to tell the Pontins staff (it was evening so went to the staff at the gate) and they were round with a replacement kettle in about 15 mins.

And even in Feb in Southport it was warm - because they put all the heaters on the day before! It was lovely to arrive to toasty chalets.

The coldest I have been was Blaze - even though it was May and it was OK to heat the living area, the bedrooms in the caravan we were in had no heaters and were really cold. Having a small heater with you would solve that fairly easily, as the rooms were small and would heat quickly, but only an option if coming by car. I think if you book the apartments they might have heaters in the bedrooms?

So for Southport, or any of the weekenders, book the more expensive chalet and you have higher comfort levels. Unless you are very precious about your comforts, don't let the accomodation put you off - you really don't spend that much time in it anyway!

I'm a newcomer to Weekenders to and am going to Breeze at Brean in October.Like Lemonhead I was unsure of what to expec, however on the links in Ceroc.com there is a full agenda of what classes / events are going on, which has helped me a great deal in deciding what I want to be focusing on.

Can't wait!
    Last edited by Rogboy; 20th-August-2007 at 04:17 PM.

Thread Information