Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I managed to kick someone in the face....

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

I managed to kick someone in the face....

Not as bad as it sounds but happened last night...

I was dancing with some lass and we done a close hold mabo thing. on the thrid or so time i stepped back I thought i rod on someones foot. I turned to appologise only to find out it was someones face .

She had been put in to a dip by a bloke that had wrapped her arms behind her back so she couldn't move and then been dropped right to the floor.

Luckily it was just a tap below the eye and she was fine. The bloke that done the drop was totally unaware it had happened as he was looking over his right shoulder in some attempt to make the move look good.

It could have been so much worse if I was in high heels and got her in the eye.

The bloke in question was doing the same move all night to everyone no matter of shap size or how long they had been going. I heard shreiks a few times when I was dancing near him.

I am in two minds as to wether to contact the orgnisor to advise them of what happened. Don't really want to cause trouble. I love doing drops with BlueEyes and wouldn't want them banned or anything, but he is just dangerous with them.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: I managed to kick someone in the face....

Quote Originally Posted by woodface View Post
    I am in two minds as to wether to contact the orgnisor to advise them of what happened.
    Contact the organiser - the guy's clearly a dangerous nutter.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Contact the organiser - the guy's clearly a dangerous nutter.
    He's a well know regular though and belive it or not, some of the girls love his dips.

I would like to say he's the onlyone that does it but he's not.

It's not just in the local area it happens though. I dance all over the place and notice it. Seems to be a macho thing "of I can do it so I will".

I do wonder if this is the case because it is always the older men.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

He's a well know regular though and belive it or not, some of the girls love his dips.
    Another bloody intermediate...

Nah, I'm old and I hardly ever do drops.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Nah, I'm old and I hardly ever do drops.
    Not all old men, just I tend to see it being done by old men when it happens, rather than by the 20/30 somethings.

Commercial Operator

OUCH!!

Although saying that the only reason I dont do them is cos of my bad back

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyr View Post
    OUCH!!

Although saying that the only reason I dont do them is cos of my bad back
    What about your iffy knees Michael??? you do really need to work on your physical fitness and physique methinks

Ouch!! Someone doing drops with me is probably one of the main things that can put me off dancing with someone new (by that I mean someone I haven't danced with before - I'll happily dance with anyone me ) There have been a few people lately though, either new to my regular venue or at new venues I've tried, that insist on putting me into dips and drops whether I like it or not. Personally I'd much rather a nice dance that works with the music, or a dance with someone who's friendly, in time and makes eye contact once in a while than someone who thinks they're doing something wrong if they're not dipping the woman like crazy all the time.

I wish some blokes would understand that not all woman want to do drops all the time and they're not the only way to improve the look of a dance. It would also be nice if they didn't take offense if you politely tell them that you'd rather not do dips and drops. There are a few people I'd trust to do drops with but even then not throughout the song. It takes a while for me to build up the trust to do certain moves with people - I like to know we can dance together before being chucked/dropped all over the place haha.

Think it is a macho thing too.. i was doing intermediate class as a leader the other night and the teacher clearly said it was a "dip" and the followers were to take their own weight.. the guy next to me... mr hotshot who already p****d me off by telling me "well done" after our shockingly bad dance decided to drop all the ladies to almost floor level most ladies did tell him that he wasn't supposed to do this but he was all like "i can do it.. i am strong.. blah blah blah f***ing blah"........

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

i saw someone doing a drop in the middle of the floor with someone last night as someone else sent their partner back. I cringed but said nothing as a) it was a one off and b) i know that the lady on the end of the drop would have said something to the bloke and he would have taken it on board!

If its a genuine mistake its forgivable but if the person is notorious for it then def report to venue manager and get it sorted!

I rarely attempt drops (small dips or leans though), there's not usually enough space, you often don't know if the follower has any idea about supporting their own weight at all. Never had any complaints about not doing many of them. Everytime I almost hit some poor girl who has been dropped to floor level behind me just puts me off them more! Some girls do seem to love it though..

Fake ID to promote Lindsay's events Dorothy's Avatar

Not all old men, just I tend to see it being done by old men when it happens, rather than by the 20/30 somethings.

True imo

Erm...congratulations?

Quote Originally Posted by jive-vee View Post
    It would also be nice if they didn't take offense if you politely tell them that you'd rather not do dips and drops.
    (or rather, and if you can imagine that)

I've politely said no to drops when the floor has been extremely crowded, and been told (by an intermediate dancer) that if I won't comply it makes it impossible to dance with me. But I guess if I have to choose between being kicked in the face, or having to sit out and watch other people getting kicked in the face.....

Seriously, is it THAT awful for you guys to have the lady snuggled in close for 3 mins when the floor is crowded? And how come the beginner men can manage 3 mins with me to the same music without needing to hurl me on the floor?

(ok...getting off my soap box now...sorry....)

Quote Originally Posted by Green-eyed Monsta View Post
    I've politely said no to drops when the floor has been extremely crowded, and been told (by an intermediate dancer) that if I won't comply it makes it impossible to dance with me. But I guess if I have to choose between being kicked in the face, or having to sit out and watch other people getting kicked in the face.....

Seriously, is it THAT awful for you guys to have the lady snuggled in close for 3 mins when the floor is crowded? And how come the beginner men can manage 3 mins with me to the same music without needing to hurl me on the floor?
    The beginners don't know how to hurl you on the floor, but are impressed by the intermediates doing this, and want to be able to do this as you must be a very good dancer to be able to do this.

I don't classify myself as a good dancer yet, but aspire to be one of those people who are more concerned about connection/musicality than the ability to do silly dangerous flashy moves.

This is actually one of things that really p*sses me about dancing in Oz - I get really wound up seeing lots of the cr*p dangerous drops people do that seem to be more commonplace here; it always surprises me that more people don't get hurt by stray feet. (I don't say anything as I appreciate that different places have different customs and accepted behaviour, but still.....)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveK View Post

The beginners don't know how to hurl you on the floor, but are impressed by the intermediates doing this, and want to be able to do this as you must be a very good dancer to be able to do this.

I don't classify myself as a good dancer yet, but aspire to be one of those people who are more concerned about connection/musicality than the ability to do silly dangerous flashy moves.

This is actually one of things that really p*sses me about dancing in Oz - I get really wound up seeing lots of the cr*p dangerous drops people do that seem to be more commonplace here; it always surprises me that more people don't get hurt by stray feet. (I don't say anything as I appreciate that different places have different customs and accepted behaviour, but still.....)
    Might be a Brisbane thing, Sydney, this is not common now...

the older men.
    Older than what age?

(yes, I'm about to have a birthday. I don't want one, but my "friends" say I have to. If we didn't have friends, would we age?)
    But I suspect you'd count me as "older" even before my next birthday.

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jive-vee View Post
    It would also be nice if they didn't take offense if you politely tell them that you'd rather not do dips and drops.
    I can see the possible reason for this though, and you've pretty much pointed it out yourself.
    There are a few people I'd trust to do drops with but even then not throughout the song. It takes a while for me to build up the trust to do certain moves with people -
    By refusing to do drops you are showing that you don't trust the guy enough, which is a good reason to not do them. But I guess the guy feels affronted that he doesn't look/feel either competent, agile or strong enough to the woman refusing. I don't say I won't do drops, but if I'm dancing with someone and I don't feel safe when he tries to lead a drop, I don't follow it. It's still going to be a knock to his ego which ever way we refuse.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    I can see the possible reason for this though, and you've pretty much pointed it out yourself.

By refusing to do drops you are showing that you don't trust the guy enough, which is a good reason to not do them. But I guess the guy feels affronted that he doesn't look/feel either competent, agile or strong enough to the woman refusing. I don't say I won't do drops, but if I'm dancing with someone and I don't feel safe when he tries to lead a drop, I don't follow it. It's still going to be a knock to his ego which ever way we refuse.
    THere are some bloke though that really force women in to drops. I saw said bloke at the begining of thread, put a beginner in to a drop, she done a supprised squeal and fought against it (she had been going 2 weeks) and he really forced her down took about 3 beats to do it.

THere are some bloke though that really force women in to drops. I saw said bloke at the begining of thread, put a beginner in to a drop, she done a supprised squeal and fought against it (she had been going 2 weeks) and he really forced her down took about 3 beats to do it.
    My first thought on reading your first sentence was "How?". (without having tried following) I think a follower can almost always put a foot back to stop a drop.
    Then I read the rest of your post. And I wonder "Why?".
    If one is spending 3 beats trying to force a follower into a drop, surely one should get the idea that she does not want to do a drop with one.
    Also, after 3 beats, surely the music is no longer appropriate for a drop, so one should be trying to lead something else appropriate to the music.

Thread Information