Thread: 30 years on from Elvis death -diary extracts of a kid

30 years on from Elvis death -diary extracts of a kid

Thirty years from the death of Elvis. I have vague recollections of that time.

I wrote a diary for years from child hood to early adulthood. Here are some extracts from about that time (including Elvis' death):

"I didn't finish yesterday's writing because of a reason I will explain later....

I came down to watch some of "No Blade of Grass". It was a disturbing film about diseases caused by pollution. People fought for survival and people became savage again - in a few days.........

Today I got up and inspected the garden before having "Cornflakes "(sic) for breakfast.

Then I gave Roger a BIG lollipop I had bought - for Roger from London as a present for watering my garden.....

I did some gardening while Roger related to me some of the events of the week.

We then played cricket in the road. Mum and Dad went out.

Then Neil, Roger, Paul and I went to look for Adam and Crispin. All of us were to play for ...[our]...Road in which Adam and Crispin do not live [ yes, I was rather legalistic even then!].

We were to play Lisburn at 2.00p.m.

The match was to be at the A.P.H. ...This place is a park

We were giving them a hard game in the heat of the barely bearable sun.

I scored a goal after a TERRIBLE MISS.......[balh blah blah about the game] They cheated so disgustingly in the 2nd. half that they won.

WE NEEDED A REF!!!

Because of cheating they won us.

Most of their players weren't even FROM LISBURN!!!![ My sense of justice and indignation!!!]

The game was much, much too long. I WAS KNACKERED (Slang for exhausted)...

Then I practised the piano after which I watered and fed the garden. It was windy and cold.

At about 9.00p.m. i came in after clearing up the garden etc.

I then wrote this at 9.25p.m.

I finished this at 11.10.

On T.V. Reginald Bosanquet (can't spell "Bosanquet" very well I think) said that Elvis Presley was dead.

Then Reggie corrected this and said that this was not confirmed. Later there was a newsflash. It was confirmed.

Wednesday 17th August 1977
    Only 17 days of the holidays left. Today I got up at 9.30p.m....

The breakfast of toast and bacon was tedious and made me feel drowsy. I had a medium slice and a slice at the very end of the loaf.

That slice of course has an extra piece of skin on one side of it....

I cleared up and it 10.45 a.m. I then practised my chess notation...."

Those are extracts from my childhood diary at about the time of Elvis death. I hope you found it amusing!
    Last edited by Ste; 17th-August-2007 at 12:00 AM.

Blog Entries

Re: 30 years on from Elvis death -diary extracts of a kid

isnt that the weirdest thing ever. Because i can recollect that day exactly.

I thought to myself yesterday, it must have been announced quite late in the evening cause i was in bed reading and you have confirmed to me it was!

We were on holiday in a caravan i was 11. Reading mills and boons book with the black and white portable tv on (not a clear picture at all) and i was in the kitchen where the tv was as i was in the put u up bed which is made from collapsing the kitchen table. Anyway, i remember my mum saying blimey Elivis has died and turning TV up. Me mum and me watched it, think bruv and sister might have been in bed.

Isn't it funny how most people remember that day.

Quote Originally Posted by Ste View Post

Only 17 days of the holidays left. Today I got up at 9.30p.m....
    I remember the announcement we had a French kid staying with us and he heard confirmation on the radio first

like the old diary entries, I use to keep a diary ,didn’t get up that late though until much later when I went to Poly

Use to say things like there are 684 hrs to christmas awwwww

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post

Use to say things like there are 684 hrs to christmas awwwww
    Yeah...I kinda think some things were quite cute that I used to write. Weird thing is that you can see little habits and things that stayed with me for the rest of my life.

I don't think I have actually changed that much! I am still into heavy metal and as Donna will testify, was not so long ago trying to learn a guitar solo I have been working on since I was 17!

I was even saying how (when was 13 and my bro was about 1) I wanted to help bring up my lil bro to "excel in brilliance" or whatever. Last month, he qualified as a doctor!

Thread Information