Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A question on spinning

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

A question on spinning

Tried out a different venue yesterday run by Ceroc London. Was great but different.

Anyways this spinning is really confused me. Normally in ballet if I want to "spin" clockwise I would do that on my left foot, but it appears in MJ to spin clockwise I would have to use my right foot Is that correct?

Also in a "pushspin" if the guy who leads you puches against your hand very firmly to put you into a spin, how do you actually break?? I cant seem to stop after one spin? Do I grap the gents hand and use it as a break? Or if I tried to do that would I cause him injury?

Re: A question on spinning

It's normal to find it easiest to spin on the natural foot, i.e. the foot on the same side as the shoulder that is going backwards in the turn. It that's not what works for you, it isn't set in stone though - but it may take you some time to learn how to deal with guys who expect your weight to be on the opposite foot.

Generally, if you're spinning on one foot, the simplest way to break is to replace the other foot (often it helps to regain your balance and to fit back into the shape of MJ if you then step back on the foot on which you span). The guys can usually make this easier by 'catching' you, though.

HTH

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

to what tess said

also you can use your heal as a break. So when you are finished your "as many spins as you want" drop your heals down, you wont go much further!

Quote Originally Posted by Tessalicious View Post
    Generally, if you're spinning on one foot, the simplest way to break is to replace the other foot (often it helps to regain your balance and to fit back into the shape of MJ if you then step back on the foot on which you span). The guys can usually make this easier by 'catching' you, though.

HTH
    Where should I place the foot I am not spinning on? In ballet I would place the sole of my foot more or less resting against the middle of my shin? Is it the same for MJ

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    Where should I place the foot I am not spinning on? In ballet I would place the sole of my foot more or less resting against the middle of my shin? Is it the same for MJ
    I'd say no, as you could catch your knee on someone, or accidentally kick someone. Keep your foot low to the floor, almost resting on it. It's there to act as a brake when you need it then. Also, not all leads are going to spin or return you on balance so it can be there to help with the wobbles when you need it.

I was being returned last night, and my lead was so close to me, that although my foot was close to my other foot and the floor, my heel actually scraped his shoe as I went round. If that had been a bent knee, I'd have got all tangled up, and possibly fallen over.

Sounds as if you'll be very good at spinning very quickly though with all that ballet experience, even if the technique varies a little. I assume that you can spot?

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    I'd say no, as you could catch your knee on someone, or accidentally kick someone. Keep your foot low to the floor, almost resting on it. It's there to act as a brake when you need it then. Also, not all leads are going to spin or return you on balance so it can be there to help with the wobbles when you need it.
    I see what you mean, if my spin was of balance could hit someone in the groin with my knee

Sounds as if you'll be very good at spinning very quickly though with all that ballet experience, even if the technique varies a little. I assume that you can spot?
    Not sure about getting good at spinning quickly, there is a lot of "unlearning" to do. But yes, I do think that it will help that I can spot. I did wonder yestersday for some of the ladies managed to spot with loose long hair? I would imagine that the hair would get in the way of both finiding a fixed point, but also whip them in the face, when they snap their head around.

I see what you mean, if my spin was of balance could hit someone in the groin with my knee
    You don't even have to be off-balance. Someone could just be too close to you and you wouldn't realise it till it was too late. Some floors are more crowded than others, and not every lead's floorcraft is as good as it should be...

As for the hair - mine is longish, and does sometimes get a bit in the way. Best to ask the likes of Sparkles or Taz about that though... and I understand that some of the guys actually like getting hair-whipped...

There's an argument that if the guy pushes you very firmly, then you should probably spin twice. I'm not sure how true that is.

Where should I place the foot I am not spinning on? In ballet I would place the sole of my foot more or less resting against the middle of my shin? Is it the same for MJ?
    Most Modern Jive dancers aren't co-ordinated enough to do that (or to spin clockwise on the left foot). However, it's perfectly reasonable to do so, and has precisely the same aesthetic quality as in ballet.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    There's an argument that if the guy pushes you very firmly, then you should probably spin twice. I'm not sure how true that is.
    I'm not convinced on that one either. I think it's more that if the leader provides extra time to spin, then you can spin twice if you want to - I don't think it's really about any significant extra force involved.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    I'm not convinced on that one either. I think it's more that if the leader provides extra time to spin, then you can spin twice if you want to - I don't think it's really about any significant extra force involved.
    The way it’s taught in my neck of the woods is to prep the assisted spin with tension or cross-pressure. The greater the pressure in the prep the easier it is to do multiple spins, and do them at double speed.

In the Ceroc spin, cross-over spin or any other variation where the woman steps forward onto her spinning foot first this is almost entirely decided by the woman as she controls how much of her own momentum is about to get reflected back through her connection with her partner. Either partner can decide to go for fewer spins than the pressure would indicate by slackening off the connection a little (or even going noodly-armed ) but it’s very difficult for the lady to spin more than that pressure allows.

If you only intend to spin once this hardly matters, but for multiple fast spins (especially three or more….not that this is very common anyway) it makes quite a difference.

Angelblue is dead on with her description as “best practice” IMHO. Tessa ( ) is also quite right about doing whatever works at the time for you as well though.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    This only works if the follower has the right tension in their arms, with the amount of people who give me a tiny push off from a Ceroc/Lady spin, I only do a couple of spins, whereas someone who understands power comes from the leader, they give me a better spin.

[EDIT]

For instance, the person who usually spins me the best is Caz cause she's figured out the correct amount of tension and leverage I need to spin the number of times I do... She can make me spin slow/fast and actually make me spin a cirtain number of times.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Jamie is right on that one.

Sometimes if im dancing as a follow people seem to see how many they can make me do. The tension has to be right but also the must not pull you off balance otherwise they wonder why you crash in to them or travel

Tried out a different venue yesterday run by Ceroc London. Was great but different.
    Tessa's advice is spot on

Am being nosey here - where did you try out last night? Am pleased to see you've been bitten by the bug though - isn't that three nights in a row?!

Tessa's advice is spot on

Am being nosey here - where did you try out last night? Am pleased to see you've been bitten by the bug though - isn't that three nights in a row?!
    Nope, but it will be three nights in a row tonight, when I try out Ceroc Surrey in Sutton

Nope, but it will be three nights in a row tonight, when I try out Ceroc Surrey in Sutton

Go for it! will we be seeing you on weekenders then soon

Hi Connie

In reply to your question on spinning and as a frequent spinner(i put them in whenever i can) i go by a few principles.
    1. Use the toes and ball of your foot as an accelerator and your heels as the brakes.
    2. Nose over toes (Otherwise you can be thrown off your axis)
    3. When turning clockwise or anti-clockwise your body should be 'prepped' eg. for clockwise your right foot forward, right shoulder in line with it, left shoulder back) This slight twist in the upper body creates torque therefor momentum for the spin.

Like you said if you want to turn clockwise you use your left foot. This is true with jive too, it is just how you use your foot may be different as i have never done ballet. Basically if your turning clockwise on your own the energy to turn has to come from somewhere (this is when prepping your body comes in) i would push off the left foot whilst turning on my weighted right foot. The left foot is placed next to the right ready to step on to it (if doinf a travelling turn ) or ready to put on the brakes putting your left heel down.

If you are being led to turn this 'prep' normally comes from the change in the leads body or hand position.

Remember though when spinning you are responsible for your own weight.
    In terms of knowing when to stop if you keep your free arm near your waist the lead should always find your arm and stop you. If not, if the leads' arm is still up it means to keep turning.

Hope this isnt too confusing or too noddy

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

A thread on spinning? Sorry I can't resist

Hi Connie, Welcome to the forum.

There are a few of us who can get double figures out of spinning. Jamie is Prob one of the best at it. All of us have different techniques for it, different arm placements etc.

For example Jamie Spots when he spins, but I dont as I (like some others) get dizzer spotting than I do non spotting. I tend to spot on the last two or three spins.

BlueEyes (also called Coni) spins with one arm wrapped around her stomach and one tucked behind her back.

The best peice of advise I can possibly give is just to try several ways and find what works for you. Everyone does it different and there is no real correct way of doing it. You will find the more you dance the better you become at it and youe technique qill develop in to your own way.

The only thing to remember is to keep your head up and limbs tucked in.

Have thrown on a few videos with some spins in of Jamie, me, blueEyes and Danny from SYTYCD All have different styles and techniques.

YouTube - Jamie Spinning

YouTube - Woodface and BlueEyes Messing about spinning Modern Jive

YouTube - Danny & Sara - Argentine Tango

Hope that helps

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by woodface View Post
    Which should say:
    YouTube - Danny & Sara - freestyle dancing with 10% AT elements in

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Which should say:
    Looking forward to the video of you doing AT DJ.

(actually I think I might have one in my youtube collection somewhere. )

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by woodface View Post
    Looking forward to the video of you doing AT DJ.
    Errr, OK then. What's that got to do with anything? Or is this just a troll?

Thread Information