Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Escaping terrible dances?

Re: Escaping terrible dances?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Darcy View Post
    Ooohh, gonna really need my flame suit for this thread!

1) stats were calulated in work time, not leisure time so time wasted on that doesn't count.
    Did your stats include leap years ?

Blog Entries

nah you dont need ya flame suit, ignore them. They are all bored cause there is bugger all else to do on the forum.

We have all had this happen to us and we all, im sure, would do the same as you did... grin and bare it..... unless of course it was a stinking dancer or somebody was hurting you then you would just have to stop it.

With regards you being a hot shot, pah.... dont be silly you couldn't give out that impression in anyway shape or form. You should do though because your dancing is fantastic. xxx

Like Twirly I've abandoned a dance after several injuries due to surrounding dancers floorcraft (salsa venue, not MJ). I did once abandon a dance with a forumite because I was getting increasingly annoyed at my own inability to follow a well led move, and was getting stressed. I asked to stop the dance, and later had several lovely dances with the same person, when I was back on form. I can't think of any examples but I'm sure there have been occasions where I and a partner have mutually abanoned a dance due to the music, and waited for the next track.

I have had dances I'd love to escape, due to how my partner was leading me/completely off time to the music/being rough etc, but would never give up mid dance for that, its only a few mins and I'd just make the best of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Darcy View Post
    I was trying to ask if anyone else had abandoned a dance, could be same reason or because of an irreconcilable clash of styles/interpretations or whatever.. I did nothing nasty and don't intend to start.

My comment was unfair , apologies rep on the way

sorry no flower im a mans man

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    Yes, a few times but on all occasions its been with people i've known well and its been mutually agreed! And its always been because of the music!
    The only person I have done this with is Twirlie Bird and the last time was last week at Derby Utopia. We were struggling to enjoy any of the music that was being played, and it just went from bad, to worse, to screw this let's just sit and chat instead

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    The only person I have done this with is Twirlie Bird and the last time was last week at Derby Utopia. We were struggling to enjoy any of the music that was being played, and it just went from bad, to worse, to screw this let's just sit and chat instead
    me too. I have walked off the dance floor on a couple of off occassions but only done it to DTS and it tends to be i sit down for a chat and he goes off and finds somebody else to dance with....

i think when you are dancing regularly with somebody you can get off days and doesn't matter what you do, its not gonna be on BUT when your having an on day together the dancing just feels great.

I cant imagine your dance ever being bad tho Stokie, loved loved loved our dances last week xxxxxxx

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    They are all bored cause there is bugger all else to do on the forum.
    Hehehe, that's a rare insightful moment for you Trouble

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    Hehehe, that's a rare insightful moment for you Trouble
    read that comment 5 times now and cant make up my mind if i should put my toe up ya ass or give you a kiss next time i see ya xxx

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    My comment was unfair , apologies rep on the way

sorry no flower im a mans man
    blimey Stewart, rep to me and rep to Mr Darcy.... you must be getting it regular as your in a much better mood than normal

by getting it i mean dancing of course

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    Yes, a few times but on all occasions its been with people i've known well and its been mutually agreed! And its always been because of the music!
    I have also abandoned, about three times, particularly dire tracks with consent from my partner. Otherwise I just keep desperately trying to get something from the dance.

I cant imagine your dance ever being bad tho Stokie, loved loved loved our dances last week xxxxxxx
    Hey loved loved loved dancing with you too babe

When the music is as bad as it was at Derby babe.... you know... you can't make a silk ear out of a pig's purse.... or something like that

read that comment 5 times now and cant make up my mind if i should put my toe up ya ass or give you a kiss next time i see ya xxx
    I'd go for the toe option...and call him a spakker while you're at it.

I've never abandoned a dance - even the most unusual dance ever which was last week: when a woman (beginner) led me from start to finish (crikey!) -I don't think she had understood that the man leads and the woman follows. I didn't say anything until the end, when I said "thank you". She put a heck of a lot of energy into it and seemed to enjoy it - although it was only 2 or 3 different moves.

I did abandon a lady during a workshop (at Prestatyn this year), when she used her mobile phone twice - so we couldn't actually practice the moves - that was just too much.
    (This event became known as 'Cerocus Interruptus').

Just do what everyone does ay my temporary local venue - wait for a break in the music (or invent a break in the music) and go "that was......nice...thank you" and walk off.

I've only ever abandoned a partner mid-dance once - and that was because he was a sleaze bag and I had to run away and hide from him - for the rest of the evening!

Unless there's a major reason for leaving mid dance (sleaziness, dangerous, injury etc.), it's something I wouldn't do. In these cases however, I'm not certain what the best "escape" route would be. I'm sure if I was ever in that situation (which I've never been) I would think of something The only times when I have left mid dance is when the music isn't right (for either me or my partner) and it's been a mutual decision

At the end of the day, if it wasn't for better dancers putting up with me when I don't know what I'm doing, I wouldn't progress. I know for sure, someone leaving me mid floor would completely wipe out any self confidence I had

And it would definately not stop me from either asking for or accepting dances from people I don't know - how else would I find those dancers that make my evening

Thread Information