Thread: What now??

in a world of my own... where people are nice and there's lots of honey!

What now??

HYpothetically, the story goes like this:

enforced change of job is impending.....

person's been offered something in the same organisation but....it's a spreadsheet person's heaven... and this person's kinda hell!

Do they take it just to have something to do and keep employer happy by just taking what's offered... bearing in mind that it's the employers decision to move them - or do they hold out for something that theyll enjoy? It's a large organisation. Or do they try and jump ship???

I know what answer I'd plump for but I'd be really interested to hear what advice others would give!!

Re: What now??

NOTHING beats job satisfaction.
    If spreadsheet-world is hell, give it a miss!

If you can afford to choose, I would say always go for a job you enjoy...there's nothing worse than working in a crap job, just to pay the bills.

Hun I'm sure you've done this already but make a list, all the pro's and con's then rip it up and follow your instincts!

My advice is DO NOT do a job that you know you will hate, you will just end up miserable...Trust me I know student jobs are the pits.

If you jump ship will you get a good ref? Have you looked into other avenues that you might enjoy. Is it worth doing the crap job for a month while you find a better one? Can you afford to resign and look for another job and still pay the bills.

I know what I would do if I could.

Unfortunately I'm doing a job at the mo where I feel my talents are wasted and it's frustrating because I could be doing so much more! But I Know it's a stop gap!

Oh and IT's a tough choice.

in a world of my own... where people are nice and there's lots of honey!

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    Hun I'm sure you've done this already but make a list, all the pro's and con's then rip it up and follow your instincts!

My advice is DO NOT do a job that you know you will hate, you will just end up miserable...Trust me I know student jobs are the pits.

If you jump ship will you get a good ref? Have you looked into other avenues that you might enjoy. Is it worth doing the crap job for a month while you find a better one? Can you afford to resign and look for another job and still pay the bills.

I know what I would do if I could.

Unfortunately I'm doing a job at the mo where I feel my talents are wasted and it's frustrating because I could be doing so much more! But I Know it's a stop gap!

Oh and IT's a tough choice.

All hypothetical of course!!! Ta Sweetie! when you in our neck of the woods next?!?! Alix asking for stories!

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mezzosoprano View Post
    I know what answer I'd plump for but I'd be really interested to hear what advice others would give!!
    My advice is that it's always much much easier to look for a job when you already have a job, than to look for a job when you don't have a job.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    My advice is that it's always much much easier to look for a job when you already have a job, than to look for a job when you don't have a job.

In an ideal world, no-one wants to be in a job that they hate, but when you have bills to pay and mouths to feed...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post

In an ideal world, no-one wants to be in a job that they hate, but when you have bills to pay and mouths to feed...
    Thats the real world unfortunately.

Mezzo - is it as simple as take the spreadsheets job or nothing? If they don't take it, what else is the company proposing - redundancy? Gardening leave till something suitable comes up? Relocation? Is the job they are currently doing no longer going to exist?

Whilst yes, it is better to look for a job whilst you are in one, it can also be awkward in terms of filling in applications and going for interviews. But maybe they could negotiate time off to do that? Also, remember that being in a job you hate, and might not be good at, can be soul destroying (been there, done that). This can if it goes on too long lead to depression and a severe loss of confidence - and difficulty in getting another job.

I wish it was as clear cut as giving the best alternative from the information given, but what would work best for one person's situation could be totally different from another depending on a multitude of variables, particularly family responsibilities and whether these are shared.

From personal experience, 3 years ago I walked out of what looked like a good job at one of the City's major banks because I was being bullied and hated the work - I left before I got pushed basically. I made some financial provisions before I did it, and already had my agency looking for work for me. As soon as I'd handed my notice in, I got a call about a job which was a perfect fit. I had two interviews, the first of which was the best one I've ever had, and was offered the job, with a pay rise, 3 days into my unemployment, and they didn't balk when I asked for a month off before starting to do some exams. It was one of the best, and scariest, things I've ever done. And I'm still working here - it's the longest I've been happy in any job (even if I get a bit bored sometimes), and having said that, I hope I haven't tempted the fates!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    Whilst yes, it is better to look for a job whilst you are in one, it can also be awkward in terms of filling in applications and going for interviews.
    Come on, only a complete numpy would tell their employer - that's what doctor's appointments and sick leave are for

Come on, only a complete numpy would tell their employer - that's what doctor's appointments and sick leave are for
    No - if you're being made redundant, or are temping, it's totally acceptable. Have done it several times. Have also done the sneaking around.

I remember one day calling my boss to say that someone at Victoria station had chucked their coffee over me and I had to go home and change (which would take nearly 2 hours to do and get to work). I went for the interview (I didn't get the job), then snuck into the loos to get changed into my normal work clothes and out of my suit so as not to arouse suspicion.

Another time, I had to go from the office, and had my other colleagues (who knew I was trying to get out and were supportive of me) distract my boss whilst I snuck into the loos to put the suit on and got out of the building - and that job I got

Blog Entries

No - if you're being made redundant, or are temping, it's totally acceptable. Have done it several times. Have also done the sneaking around.
    I thought it wasn't technically a redundancy though? Hypothetically, of course...

I thought it wasn't technically a redundancy though? Hypothetically, of course...
    Which is why I said it could be awkward to look for another job whilst still in one, and so it can be easier to do once you've left... are we talking at cross purposes DJ?

Blog Entries

Which is why I said it could be awkward to look for another job whilst still in one, and so it can be easier to do once you've left... are we talking at cross purposes DJ?
    Probably.

When you've got regular monthly bills, kids, family etc., you really don't want to take the risk of not having a regular paycheck. So, in a sh1t job, with those responsibilities, the best option is the sneaking-around one, that's all I wanted to say.

What's wrong with going for another job and not be too concerned about your present employer finding out?

After all, the alternative job that they are offerring is not great is it? If they are keen to keep you they will consider something which suits you better or if they are not bothered to keep you, they will make it easier for themselves by helping/allowing you to find another job. Either way, you win.

If you take that option, all theoretically speaking of course, continue to be nice, polite and cooperative, as usual. It shows strength of character and strenghten your position either way.

Whilst yes, it is better to look for a job whilst you are in one, it can also be awkward in terms of filling in applications and going for interviews.
    Or ,Like me, Honest and open ? I won't say I haven't misused Sick leave etc.. Occasionally I've had a duvet day and called in sick.

But if I was looking for another job I'd ensure the company I was working for knew that. I would however try and arrange time off for interviews etc in my own time and take TOIL if i couldn't.

And yes, I did this while employed in the job before this one, and the job before that one too.

it's only fair on the employer to give them some sort of warning of your dissatisfaction and imminent departure so that they can either (a) attempt to make amends or (b) start the ball rolling looking for a replacement.

I don't see why there's a need to be secretive about it all and lie about going to doctors etc ??

Perhaps I'm too honest for my own good.. or perhaps DJ thinks I'm a numpty?

Thread Information