Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should we raise the age of drinking to 21 ?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re: Should we raise the age of drinking to 21 ?

oh please...sentence structure

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    yeah

Im 42 i look 38 , its a pain looking younger then you are

that must be hard to live with S38

I'm stopping at 28 I don't care if I look it or not I feel it thats what counts

Most people know where I stand on alcohol, i'm not anti alcohol, some people are lovely, funny, nice people when they have had a drink.

for some of us it changes our personality into not such nice people, i'm anti alcohol on people like that, there are some people including myself who should never drink again.

As babies both me and my brother were given alcohol to send us to sleep so my parents could have a peaceful night at the social club I think I was proberbly 11 when I first got so drunk I thew up at the age of 14 I was on can's of 'dimond white' and hanging around street corners, that was 30 years ago, so please lets not look back thinking it was so much better in the 'old'en days' when we were kids and its so bad now

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post

at the age of 14 I was on can's of 'dimond white'

I drank the bottles

Registered User Katie Kicks Ass's Avatar

I started drinking at about 11, just alchopops mixed with lemonade at new years eve, christmas etc. Then at 15 my uncle got me really drunk and the hangover the next morning was enough to put me off drinking that much again. It was my 18th last weekend and even then I wasn't ridiculously drunk because I don't see the point.

In most cases I would say that diluted alchohol at about 10 onwards is good as it would get rid of that 'oo I'm drinking and I'm not old enough'

However I do not think it is a good idea when parents buy their children a bottle of cheap cider etc to drink on the streets because they can't control their children. These people deserve the right to buy alchohol suspended.

It is difficult, dont think there is much mystique re alcohol

If you band it from people under 21 you would take 75% of offenders of the streets , people tend to grow up a bit hence the idea re increasing it to 21.

I dont see the street of Saudi Arbia washed with booze so banding it may work
    When you wrote 'band it' I assumed you mis-spelled 'banned', but later 'banding it...' makes me wonder if I'm missing the point...

As for Saudi, read stories of what is happening and what it's like living there before drawing thoughtless comparisons. Try Amnesty International's summary for a start off. And if you do mean banning, read the history of prohibition in the US to learn what happens then.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
    I think that alco-pops are unfairly targetted - it's a common misconception made by people with a reasonable disposable income.
    You appear to know something about my income that I don't...

I understand that binge drinking is an increasingly large problem with ladettes who go from pub to pub and club to club, and end up wrecked. Most of them are drinking alcopops. Most of them are over 18 but under 21.

As for teenagers who have little money and get drunk on 3 litre cider bottles, most of them are under 18 and so the 18 vs. 21 argument does not incorporate them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    (to my increduality)
    What are you saying? That it made you momentarily schizophrenic?

(No homilies on the difference between multiple personality and schizophrenia please...)

Commercial Operator

I wonder if we are wise in this country to have the legal age to drive and the legal age to drink running so close together?

In America people learn to drive first and then alcohol is introduced later.

Here we allow our children to learn to drive and at almost the same time allow alcohol to be legally consumed.

Personal opinion - but I would prefer to see a larger gap between.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    What are you saying? That it made you momentarily schizophrenic?

(No homilies on the difference between multiple personality and schizophrenia please...)
    whilst i admit i usually type random stuff without a lot of thought - i can usually keep the gist of whats happening. This time im confused and have no idea what you mean

whilst i admit i usually type random stuff without a lot of thought - i can usually keep the gist of whats happening. This time im confused and have no idea what you mean
    Oh, OK.

Just a light hearted quip.

There is no 'a' in 'incredulity'. So putting one in there - a typo, I assume - meant the appearance of the word 'dual' in the middle. 'Incre-dual-ity'. Hence the remark about schizophrenia.

Thought you'd get it.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowWhite View Post
    In America people learn to drive first and then alcohol is introduced later.
    That's an interesting point.

But drink-driving as a problem in the UK is a fraction of what it used to be before the laws were introduced and tightened up.

Most binge drinkers are not a road hazard - except as undirected pedestrians.

You appear to know something about my income that I don't...

I understand that binge drinking is an increasingly large problem with ladettes who go from pub to pub and club to club, and end up wrecked. Most of them are drinking alcopops. Most of them are over 18 but under 21.

As for teenagers who have little money and get drunk on 3 litre cider bottles, most of them are under 18 and so the 18 vs. 21 argument does not incorporate them.
    I still reckon that alcopops are unfairly targetted; lots of the fuss about alcopops revolves around the myth that they entice kids into drinking alcohol. The problem starts with teenagers drinking cider in the park, and then develops into drinking alcopops later when they can afford it. Would reducing the availablity of very cheap alcohol to underage drinkers mean that they drink less when they can afford more expensive drinks?

When you wrote 'band it' I assumed you mis-spelled 'banned', but later 'banding it...' makes me wonder if I'm missing the point...

As for Saudi, read stories of what is happening and what it's like living there before drawing thoughtless comparisons. Try Amnesty International's summary for a start off. And if you do mean banning, read the history of prohibition in the US to learn what happens then.
    I see we can use the 1920/30 in the usa as 'example' but not modern day Saudi,pleaseeeeee

You said banning it wouldn't work i quote an example where it does in Saudi regardless of your moral take on uk or Saudi which is not relevant to the statement or answer

I dont think we should ban it or raise the age but there needs enforcement and no drinking outside of licence premises

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Oh, OK.

Just a light hearted quip.

There is no 'a' in 'incredulity'. So putting one in there - a typo, I assume - meant the appearance of the word 'dual' in the middle. 'Incre-dual-ity'. Hence the remark about schizophrenia.

Thought you'd get it.
    aha - sorry mild dyslexia prevented me from noticing the spelling error - sometimes looking at something knowing there is a problem prevents you from seeing it . very sorry. I will practice euthanasia forthwith

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

I thought there was another "underage drinking" thread, but a quick search failed to find it.

I dont think we should ban it or raise the age but there needs enforcement and no drinking outside of licence premises
    Its enforcement thats the key, it is illegal to sell drink to under 18s yet even when people do, the penalties are not severe enough. As an employee of somewhere that sells alcohol not ID'ing someone under 25 should be a serious offence - do it more than once and lose your job. Have a pub or off licence get caught doing it more than once and expect it to be shutdown. Anything less is pussyfooting around the issue. Increasing the limit to 21 is totally, totally pointless. With the current level of indifference regarding enforcement, even making it 25 would make little difference.

Binge Drinking:

Did you know it was illegal to serve drunk people more alcohol? Most bar staff don't

Recent licensing law changes to combat binge drinking are ill thought out and will make little difference to the problem they are trying to address. My family run a small cafe with some off-sales - whisky and their own branded beer. They make a maximum of a couple of hundred pounds profit a year on alcohol, yet when they go to renew their licence to sell alcohol the application fee is £800 and other fees are several hundred more. Every staff member who sells any alcohol must have been on an £150 course. Being a seasonal business they trade only from March to October and rarely have the same staff the next season. So it'll be at least £300 a year for the staff, never mind themselves. Strangely, they wont be bothering this year. The local brewer who supplies many such small business is likely to lose thousands. The local supermarket still sells cheap alcohol, maybe it'll cost a few pence more to binge drink...ooh

I thought there was another "underage drinking" thread, but a quick search failed to find it.

Its enforcement thats the key, it is illegal to sell drink to under 18s yet even when people do, the penalties are not severe enough. As an employee of somewhere that sells alcohol not ID'ing someone under 25 should be a serious offence - do it more than once and lose your job. Have a pub or off licence get caught doing it more than once and expect it to be shutdown. Anything less is pussyfooting around the issue. Increasing the limit to 21 is totally, totally pointless. With the current level of indifference regarding enforcement, even making it 25 would make little difference.

Binge Drinking:

Did you know it was illegal to serve drunk people more alcohol? Most bar staff don't

Recent licensing law changes to combat binge drinking are ill thought out and will make little difference to the problem they are trying to address. My family run a small cafe with some off-sales - whisky and their own branded beer. They make a maximum of a couple of hundred pounds profit a year on alcohol, yet when they go to renew their licence to sell alcohol the application fee is £800 and other fees are several hundred more. Every staff member who sells any alcohol must have been on an £150 course. Being a seasonal business they trade only from March to October and rarely have the same staff the next season. So it'll be at least £300 a year for the staff, never mind themselves. Strangely, they wont be bothering this year. The local brewer who supplies many such small business is likely to lose thousands. The local supermarket still sells cheap alcohol, maybe it'll cost a few pence more to binge drink...ooh
    Im please to see people finding my old threads

USA have a strongly enforce 21yr age limit (I was being asked for ID at 35 )

Im not in favour of 21 but as you say enforcement is the key

Quote Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
    I understand that there is alcohol available in Saudi in some of the ex-pat compounds; dodgy home brew is readily available inside the compounds, although apparently it is a bit of an "acquired taste".
    this has been cracked down on and alcohol and pork are no longer easily available even in ex-pat compounds

Thread Information