Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Normal behavior?

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

Re: Normal behavior?

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    I know it must be boring for experienced dancers to dance with a clueless beginner, but one has to start somewhere!
    (and though I've never danced ceroc before, I danced ballet for years, so I have some small level of ability)
    Hi again connie

i am a teacher and dance both lead and follow every week with brand new/ newish beginners and i really love it. Sometimes its nice to dance with intermediates but i really take pleasure in dancing with beginners. I hope that i would never give off a bored vibe as i never am.

For intermediates, dancing with beginners help them remember the beginners moves and help them with their leading and following.

There is no better feeling in the world that having a nice dance with a beginner who walks away with a smile on their face!

Quote Originally Posted by drathzel View Post
    Hi again connie

i am a teacher and dance both lead and follow every week with brand new/ newish beginners and i really love it. Sometimes its nice to dance with intermediates but i really take pleasure in dancing with beginners. I hope that i would never give off a bored vibe as i never am.

For intermediates, dancing with beginners help them remember the beginners moves and help them with their leading and following.

There is no better feeling in the world that having a nice dance with a beginner who walks away with a smile on their face!
    I am not a teacher but I help out at my local venues and it gives me such a buzz when i have helped a beginner out and they have had a fabulous dance! Like Drathzel says it also helps your lead an awful lot if you are dancing with a beginner because you have to be clear in your lead.

Have fun tonight.. Keep a smile on your face and rise above him if he is there again

to the posts above. Hope you have a better time tonight; please post tomorrow and let us know how you got on

Well connie, how did it go?

Hi everyone,

I went to my first ceroc class last week and had a brilliant time during the beginners class. Never have I appologised to so many men in such a short period of time hehe. But I had a really good laugh participating in the class.
    After the class there was a 15 minute "free-style" and a gent came up and asked me to dance. I accepted with a smile and said thank you, and warned him at the same time it was my first time ceroc'ing but I would try my best not to tread him over the toes.

Well that dance was a disaster! He got really angry with me that I didn't really know what he was doing, but the moves he was trying to get me to do was well advanced! Half way through the dance, he stopped suddenly and told me: " I am bored with this now, cant be botered to dance with someone so useless"
    I have to say I was completely stunned, the cheek of the man!
    Ashamed to say that I walked out of the venue promising myself never to return. However I am now a bit cross and will give it another go tonight.
    My question is, should I have not danced with him, given it was my first lesson? Should one wait to dance until one have reached a certain competence? Did I break some sort of rule I didnt know existed
    The bloke sounds like a total w**ker...my wife had a run-in with a similar berk when she first started Ceroc. Months on, my wife is now a great dancer, and this bloke is still a c*ck. Don't let one bad apple ruin your opinion of Ceroc - I'm sure you'll be able to fiind loads of good leads who will restore your enjoyment of dance.

Connie so sorry to hear you got such an a**hole !

Pop down to Kidderminster / Worcester and you'll see how we dance there!

Commercial Operator

I know it must be boring for experienced dancers to dance with a clueless beginner, but one has to start somewhere!
    Partner dancing isn't just about how you can move on the dancefloor, it's also about social skills, including consideration and respect. That's obviously beyond this neanderthal, he should do us all a favour and stick to solo dancing.
    IMO the dances that are boring are when your partner thinks they know it all, and they do their own thing regardless of you, it sounds like that's the category this guy falls into.
    That's something that rarely happens when dancing with beginners, there is the challenge of finding out what will work, discovering where the limits are, and hopefully giving that person an experience which will make them want to come back for more.
    And that's what I imagine is happening when a dancer who is more skilled than me "puts up" with dancing with me.

Greg

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I know it must be boring for experienced dancers to dance with a clueless beginner
    No, actually it's not - in fact, I'd rather dance with a beginner than a "know-it-all" 2-years-experience dancer. It's incredible when you can feel beginners improve and develop over the course of a single dance, it's a great experience.

Having said that, I'm going to be brutally honest and admit that, when dancing with beginners, then yes, looks are more of a factor than when dancing with experienced dancers. Although attitude is still more important.

I went to Ceroc yesterday together with a fellow Dane who I brought along for moral support. It was brilliant! I had so much fun I am still smiling now.

The guy in question from last week was also there last night, and this time he started to pick on my friend during the beginners class! She was unlucky enough to end up dancing with him during the rotation. Everything the poor girl was doing this guy had a problem with, the way she held his hand, the way she spinned, her posture for crying out loud got a mention from this “helpful” chap.
    I got really angry, so I “manipulated” the next rotation so I ended up dancing with him.
    I stepped up to him and took his offered hand, smiled at him and thanked him for the pleasant dance I had with him the week before, and how helpful it had been to have it pointed out to me how useless I was. This was all delivered in a normal pleasant tone.
    We started to go through the moves, and I then proceeded to talk to him in Danish, insulting him all the way through the dance. IT WAS GREAT. Childish yes, but great.
    Hand being offered, “you look like a donkey”, step away, “did you mother polish those shoes for you?” Step in, “ I know it must be hard not having been laid since your exchange trip in 1982” and so it went through the move. My friend who was dancing next to me in the line was laughing so hard her partner had to support her at one time.
    You should have been there folks, the look on the chaps face was priceless. He was pretty sure I was being rude to him, but as he could obviously not understand Danish, and with me keeping me tone very pleasant he didn’t really know what to say or do.

Now if you are all really good, I’ll tell ya what happened in the bar later when he came up to “confront” me

LMAO You go girlfriend! "Donkey" indeed

I have to say I have only just picked up this post. It is bang out of order to be treated like that. We all have to start somewhere. Particularly as you'd pointed out that you'd only just started. For shame!! I feel a collective apology is due - we're not all like that - thank God. I consider it a personal challenge to try to lead well particularly with new peeps. Confidence is a fragile thing to start with and the experience peeps are duty bound to help the newbies develop!

Sounds like you're really enjoying your class now - and long may it continue.

Hell hath no fury like a Danish women scorned. Pray continue with the tale!!

Now if you are all really good, I’ll tell ya what happened in the bar later when he came up to “confront” me

Well done you! Sounds as if you put him right in his place

Glad you had a good time... now, do tell part deux!

Yes go on - I could definitely do with the laugh today.(just don't ask).. It sounds like you really got your own back.

Hopefully you also had some lovely leads to dance with to make that smile permanent.

Come on - We won't tell anyone..

You have the (dance) floor.....

Whitetiger

Check you out! I wish i had been there to see that one

c'mon tell us more......

Quote Originally Posted by Caz View Post
    Check you out! I wish i had been there to see that one

c'mon tell us more......

i really want to hear this!

Registered User Almost an Angel's Avatar
    Heaven of course, currently on secondment to purgatory

[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]Now if you are all really good, I’ll tell ya what happened in the bar later when he came up to “confront” me
    Come on spill please Connie - we could all do with a laugh.

Like a few of the others I've only just picked up this thread but this guy sounds like he needs taking down a peg or three. He probably isn't that great anyway! Why do we manage to end up with 'helpful' dancers who feel that they have the right to ridicule and put down beginners it's just not on!! MJ is a social dance - people come out to enjoy themselves not to be made to feel bad about themselves.

I tell the beginners that everyone started somewhere so please ask everyone to dance - I also tell them if any of the guys don't tone down the moves to allow them to follow let me know. We have to remember that today's beginners are tomorrow's dancers and possibly even teachers.

Angel xx

Quote Originally Posted by Almost an Angel View Post
    I tell the beginners that everyone started somewhere so please ask everyone to dance - I also tell them if any of the guys don't tone down the moves to allow them to follow let me know. We have to remember that today's beginners are tomorrow's dancers and possibly even teachers.

Angel xx
    that is sooo true.. I still remember mine and Jamie's first time at Intermediates ... we were told by one of the helpers that we couldn't possibly do intermediates because we hadn't been dancing long enough... funnily enough now she has eaten her words as Jamie is a teacher

So pleased that you got him back in some shape or form, Connie.

I am inspired to learn another language.

He deserved everything he got.

best
    johnnyman

Ok ready for episode 2?

After the beginners review class I went to the bar with my friend and a few other peeps from the baby class. We were having a nice drink and a chat when I saw the gent in question make a beeline for us. I moved slighty around so I now stood with me back to him. A few ticks later I was tapped on the shoulder, and the guy asked me what I said to him during class.
    I turned around and asked him what he meant?
    Guy: You know what I mean
    Connie: Sorry, I am not sure what you are referring too.
    Guy: Now talking really slowly, What did you say to me during class?
    Connie: (In Danish) I said you looked like a donkey and have the manners of a baboon
    Guy: (Getting huffy now) What are you saying?
    Connie: (In Danish) I said you looked like a donkey with the manners of a baboon
    Guy: You better tell me what you are saying to me right now
    Connie: (In English) Oh you don’t understand Danish?
    Guy: Of course I don’t, I aint bl**y Danish.
    Connie: Well last week you expected me to be able to dance Ceroc to your standard after a short class, I suppose I expected you to be able to speak Danish after a few moves. After all, you ARE a brilliant talented man.
    Guy: You think you are sooo clever
    Connie: Clever…. not at all. However last week, I tried to dance Ceroc for the first time, in a class being conducted in a second language to me. I danced my first dance with YOU, and was then abandoned on the dance floor by YOU after being told I bored YOU and was useless to boot. But I am still standing here a week later, that my friend, shows something called character.
    Guy: You are not funny you know.
    My friend: Yes she is
    Guy: I am not laughing
    My friend: That’s what is funny

After that the guy left.

That is brilliant!

I can see you're going to be quite an addition to the dance scene Connie - hope you stick at it!

well done connie!

The problem is he probably hasnt learnt his lesson! Stupid idiot!

Thread Information