Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: dance floor at home

Re: dance floor at home

Quote Originally Posted by rubyred View Post
    And I have danced on your floor and it was fab.

I have laminate floors in my house and I have a room which I have cleared of furniture [you can do these things when your kids have left home ]and use that as a dance practise room. The laminate works well, but if I could have afforded real wood then I think that probably makes a much better dance floor. I have been toying with the idea of putting in a huge mirror but is that a bit OTT not sure?? Please let me know those who have done this. When I go to ballroom the studio has mirrors and its good to see what your posture is like especially when you think you look great and the mirror tells you the opposite .
    I have a full lenght Mirror in my bedroom!

Yes especially for dancing

I have 1/4" ply 4'x4' in size which sits behind it and comes out for dancing.

I use the Mirror for both dancing and Weight training ( to check balance)

Any other benefits of having the Full Lengh Mirror in the bedroom is PURLEY CO INCIDENTAL!

(Its actually a Mirror door from Wicks £39.99)

A solid maple parquet floor would be the best in terms of durability: it's what most school hall floors are made of as it's incredibly tough. If you buy it unfinished then you can stain it, as natural maple is very light. Oak, as mentioned by Ducasi and Freudian Hips, is probably the next best.

Good quality – i.e. not the cheapo ones from diy stores – laminate floors are probably the next best. Engineered boards (a thin layer of real wood on a ply substrate) don't stand up to much dancing: my living room floor has been used for practice a few times, and the lacquer finish on them has become pretty damaged, and they're prone to getting dents from heels. The good thing about a laminate floor is that it's laid over a foam underlay which adds a small amount of spring to the floor which you won't get on a solid floor.

Lino might be another good option, plus it's very eco-friendly, and not the horrid stuff of old. Check Forbo.com Home for more details, plus their sampling service is really good.

So do we all get invited to sample the floor when it's down?

Quote Originally Posted by blackisleboy View Post
    So do we all get invited to sample the floor when it's down?
    I'd have to make a dance rota, the room's not very big!

I was wondering about the parquet having seen it on dance floors, but then I was remembering the parquet in my last house seemed to end up a bit loose and uneven, but then maybe it hadn't been lain very well in the first place...

Quote Originally Posted by rubyred
    I have been toying with the idea of putting in a huge mirror but is that a bit OTT not sure?? Please let me know those who have done this. When I go to ballroom the studio has mirrors and its good to see what your posture is like especially when you think you look great and the mirror tells you the opposite .

I bought 2 mirrors 4x6 and they sit side by side on the wall. It means you can do lots of moves without having to keep re-shuffling yourselves to be in front of the mirror. I don't think it is too OTT, if you have dedicated a particular room to dance in then mirrors are useful to have.

I got plastic safety mirrors from Abbey Plastics, you can find them on ebay as well. The quality isnt as good as real mirror but you don't need it for dancing.

S. x
    Last edited by ducasi; 15th-August-2007 at 10:59 AM. Reason: fixing quote

Am reading this with great interest.
    Want to ask a question but know am gonna look like a muppet.....no change there then?
    Tap dancing on a solid oak floor? How much damage? What do people tap dance on? No mention of sinks and things Perleeeease!

Thanks

On the subject of practising moves in a mirror, how well do you think you recreate them when dancing without the mirror? You have to concentrate very hard on the feeling of the move I think which is hard when you're concentrating on the appearance at the same time, no?

Unless you see a video of yourself (what a hideous thought!) I suppose you never know if you are actually manageing to recreate those perfect lines you achieved in front of the mirror.

Save me hijacking this thread - a related question...

http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/l...r-outside.html
    Last edited by Wobbly Dave; 15th-August-2007 at 10:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JoC View Post
    Unless you see a video of yourself (what a hideous thought!) I suppose you never know if you are actually manageing to recreate those perfect lines you achieved in front of the mirror.

Good point thank you I will be off the glazier tomorrow morn

Mac thank you for your advice .....but .....mirror in bedroom for dancing ...yeh right..
    Last edited by rubyred; 15th-August-2007 at 11:22 AM.
    if you love the life you live then you'll get a lot more done

Quote Originally Posted by angelique View Post
    Am reading this with great interest.
    Want to ask a question but know am gonna look like a muppet.....no change there then?
    Tap dancing on a solid oak floor? How much damage? What do people tap dance on? No mention of sinks and things Perleeeease!

Thanks
    Let's just say, my girls use the lino for tap dancing practice!! A floor that is going to be tapped on is going to look very scuffed very fast. Ok if that is what the floor is for and you don't mind the aesthetics. My oak is scuffed around the dining table and chairs which I don't mind but I do like some smooth shiny bits around the place. Also with taps, check the screws every time before danincing. One loose screw = completely wrecked floor

Quote Originally Posted by rubyred View Post
    And I have danced on your floor and it was fab.
    I remember that, it was a fab dance too, I can recline on the sofa and watch! Several other forumites have danced in my living room and its where I practice, though have never tried more than one couple dancing at once, maybe not enough space for that.

One of the lists of requirements if I ever move house is somewhere I can floor with space to dance. I'd also like a conservatory, it maybe be possible to combine the two - anyone done that?

Quote Originally Posted by Freudian Hips View Post
    My oak is scuffed around the dining table and chairs which I don't mind but I do like some smooth shiny bits around the place.
    You can buy little felt circles that you stick onto the table and chairs, seem to work well on our oak floor to avoid scuffing - chairs glide smoothly. Am thinking of sticking them to my dance shoes.

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    ...chairs glide smoothly. Am thinking of sticking them to my dance shoes.
    You are?
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    You can buy little felt circles that you stick onto the table and chairs, seem to work well on our oak floor to avoid scuffing - chairs glide smoothly. Am thinking of sticking them to my dance shoes.
    Had those.
    They fell off.

Got the plastic ones that screw in to the legs.
    Thinking of getting those for me too

I think most of the scuffing is less due to the table and chairs than to the people who sit in them!

I have wooden floors in my Kitchen, Bathroom and Bedroom. it has been used to practice a few moves on before.

I personally don't like laminate.. my Sister got some house, and when it was new I was told to take my shoes off (so not to mark it) and go in.. there was a loud crash and a rather dazed Beo lying on his back in the kitchen.

Of course, being me.. when they ran though to see if I was ok my first comment was "nice ceiling tiles!"

Laminate is quite cold where as good wood is more homely .. and I assume you will have to live there as well.. not JUST a dance space?? Laminate is a bit too slippy for my liking so another vote for wood.

Thread Information