Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dance floor at home

dance floor at home

Anybody (there will surely be somebody...) put a floor in at home specifically for dancing? If so any recommendations? Wood, laminate, planks, parquet...etc.....?

Not really an option getting out dancing at the moment so the dancing will have to come to me!

(Shouldn't have started browsing the forum again, it's made the desperation to dance ten times worse!)

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

Re: dance floor at home

My mum has laminate floor in her big living room and it is great as a practice area.

We've got 3 surfaces in the house that are suitable for dancing - wood, laminate and floortiles. Personally I think the wood is best - laminate is a bit too slippy, tiles are ok but would be harder on your feet.

Anyway, let us all know when the first dance is at your place - you bring the pushchair, I'll bring the zimmer.

There was this thread a while ago.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Made blocks of laminate. Cost around £20. Put them in to 4 blocks of 5 strips. The 5 strips held together with tape the 4 blocks slide together. At least that was the plan.

It's a nightmare trying to get them together and they move apart when you do. Still does the job though and for £20 cant complain.

Will take some pics next time I go down stairs to the front room (cant be bothered right now).

I've danced a bit of a laminate wood floor recently, and it was quite good, but it had been waxed (or similar) to take out most of the slippiness which makes it safer as a normal floor, but meant I couldn't do cool slides.

I think Simon & Nicole's way of building a separate dance studio next to your house is the way to go.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    I think Simon & Nicole's way of building a separate dance studio next to your house is the way to go.
    Now you mention it the garage is crying out for conversion... if only it wasn't stuffed to the ceiling with junk that'll take at least 7 years to clear out!

It's worth checking ebay as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TA Guy View Post
    It's worth checking ebay as well.
    I should clarify, I'm replacing a whole floor, permanently, with something that will be good to dance on. Was looking for recommendations on which surface type might be best.

Come on! Where are the results of private domestic scientific research studies carried out on this issue by people overly obsessed with dancing???

The laminate seems to be getting a lot of mentions... no more votes for wood...?

Quote Originally Posted by JoC View Post
    The laminate seems to be getting a lot of mentions... no more votes for wood...?
    Personally I would go for wood. It's what most good dancefloors are made from and are easier to treat however you like.

I've danced a bit of a laminate wood floor recently, and it was quite good, but it had been waxed (or similar) to take out most of the slippiness which makes it safer as a normal floor, but meant I couldn't do cool slides.
    If Ducasi is talking about my floor it is wood, thick oak in fact. Unfortunately it is laid on a concrete floor which makes it too hard for me to dance on without shoes. I can slide perfectly well on it in smooth soled shoes but not any form of dance trainer - and I would not dance on it in pointy heels either as it can get dented!

The only way to go

Measuring up patio to see if neighbour will fit under it

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    We've got 3 surfaces in the house that are suitable for dancing - wood, laminate and floortiles. Personally I think the wood is best - laminate is a bit too slippy, tiles are ok but would be harder on your feet.

Anyway, let us all know when the first dance is at your place - you bring the pushchair, I'll bring the zimmer.

I have recently put laminate flooring down in my front room and i did find it slippery my sister also has laminate that has been down a while and it's great! not sure if mine is so slippy because it's new or cheap

At MoveIT this year they had a stall selling (or maybe just advertising) sheets of special vinyl-like floor coverings that have different finishes on them.
    Apparently really easy to lay and take up and can be placed on any flat surface. Not cheap though.
    I cant remember what they were called but i could always look it up if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Freudian Hips View Post
    If Ducasi is talking about my floor it is wood, thick oak in fact. Unfortunately it is laid on a concrete floor which makes it too hard for me to dance on without shoes. I can slide perfectly well on it in smooth soled shoes but not any form of dance trainer - and I would not dance on it in pointy heels either as it can get dented!
    Oops! Of course, I knew it was real oak wood – when I wrote that it was laminate, it was just too early in the morning to think straight.

Quote Originally Posted by Freudian Hips View Post
    The only way to go
    So when you clearing out your garage?

Personally I would go for wood. It's what most good dancefloors are made from and are easier to treat however you like.
    Before I took up Ceroc I linedanced for 5 years, my wife and I, and a few friends used to practice new dances in a church hall that had an old, smooth, untreated wood floor, it was a dream to dance on.
    I converted my garage into an office a couple of years ago and laminated the floor, I occasionally shift my chairs around and practice Ceroc on it but it's a bit too slippery for my liking.

Like Ducasi, I'd go for wood.

My flat has laminate flooring and it is fab for dancing on, so much so that when my ex left i converted his room into my lounge and made my lounge into a dance studio, i even bought mirrors as well!!

S. x

Quote Originally Posted by JoC View Post
    Anybody (there will surely be somebody...) put a floor in at home specifically for dancing? If so any recommendations? Wood, laminate, planks, parquet...etc.....?

Not really an option getting out dancing at the moment so the dancing will have to come to me!

(Shouldn't have started browsing the forum again, it's made the desperation to dance ten times worse!)
    Having 3 rooms in my house floored with wood. Did so specifically with dancing in mind, otherwise would have left it carpeted.

Loads of places to buy from. I used Carpenters Of York

Onkar

My living room has laminate, I didn't plan it especially for dancing, but it is nice to dance on. It doesn't seem to be too slippy (unless I am dancing in my socks!). Very helpful for working from DVDs for practice, but also nice if we just feel like dancing!

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    My living room has laminate, I didn't plan it especially for dancing, but it is nice to dance on. It doesn't seem to be too slippy (unless I am dancing in my socks!). Very helpful for working from DVDs for practice, but also nice if we just feel like dancing!

And I have danced on your floor and it was fab.

I have laminate floors in my house and I have a room which I have cleared of furniture [you can do these things when your kids have left home ]and use that as a dance practise room. The laminate works well, but if I could have afforded real wood then I think that probably makes a much better dance floor. I have been toying with the idea of putting in a huge mirror but is that a bit OTT not sure?? Please let me know those who have done this. When I go to ballroom the studio has mirrors and its good to see what your posture is like especially when you think you look great and the mirror tells you the opposite .
    if you love the life you live then you'll get a lot more done

Thread Information