Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Intromediates

Re: Intromediates

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    The disadvantage is that it is another group. The idea I proposed, having a "shllow end" and a "deep end" to the month allowed a section of the beginner group to advance to the shallow end together. It gives the beginners three weeks to work up to the more difficult intermediate lesson. If that shold prove too much, then there is the knowledge that the beginning of the next month will follow, and they will be presented with an easier class again. Those experienced dancers that only want the occasional "advanced" lesson can just come at the end of 5 week night months. The idea is to make the level of next weeks class more predictable.

You are talking 3 or 5 weeks? I am talking 3 to 6 months, still beginner and then move up... I guess it is where you set the bar.

I do know where you are coming from as I first learnt in UK, they are a bit more "sport orientated" in Aussie and so the standard of the classes are far higher.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    The disadvantage is that it is another group. The idea I proposed, having a "shllow end" and a "deep end" to the month allowed a section of the beginner group to advance to the shallow end together. It gives the beginners three weeks to work up to the more difficult intermediate lesson. If that shold prove too much, then there is the knowledge that the beginning of the next month will follow, and they will be presented with an easier class again. Those experienced dancers that only want the occasional "advanced" lesson can just come at the end of 5 week night months. The idea is to make the level of next weeks class more predictable.
    One of the classes in Brisbane (West End) actually alters from an intermediate class into an advanced class on the first Weds of the month. The standard of this was quite a shock for me coming from the UK, although I'm more attuned to it now.

Incidentally the male/female ratio here is virtually equal, whilst the lessons are generally harder. This seems to go against the mantra of "blokes find it hard and therefore give up", as it seems instead to be "make it harder and blokes are more likely to stay". I'm sure there are other factors involved, but it is an interesting point.

Incidentally, Martin, are you going to the leStep dance weekender in November? Shall I bring cake and we can try for the "most obscure forum gathering at a dance weekender", or has this already been done in NZ?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
    One of the classes in Brisbane (West End) actually alters from an intermediate class into an advanced class on the first Weds of the month. The standard of this was quite a shock for me coming from the UK, although I'm more attuned to it now.

Incidentally the male/female ratio here is virtually equal, whilst the lessons are generally harder. This seems to go against the mantra of "blokes find it hard and therefore give up", as it seems instead to be "make it harder and blokes are more likely to stay". I'm sure there are other factors involved, but it is an interesting point.
    Generally harder
    Interesting point, they are well harder and most classes I go to have a few guys over.

Incidentally, Martin, are you going to the leStep dance weekender in November? Shall I bring cake and we can try for the "most obscure forum gathering at a dance weekender", or has this already been done in NZ?
    Bring cake I booked in yesterday. Ask Mick to point me out - Martin Elliott
    Anyone else wanna come?

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Anyone else wanna come?

I'd love to!
    Who's paying?
    I can barely afford to get to local classes at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by timbp View Post
    I'd love to!
    Who's paying?
    I can barely afford to get to local classes at the moment.
    No worries I can loan you the cash.
    3% per month interest, pay back within 2 years, all ok.

No worries I can loan you the cash.
    3% per month interest, pay back within 2 years, all ok.
    What frightens me is I seriously considered this for a while, and it's not as if I'm short of dance opportunities in Sydney.

Quote Originally Posted by timbp View Post
    What frightens me is I seriously considered this for a while, and it's not as if I'm short of dance opportunities in Sydney.
    Go for it,,, is will be fab and SteveK is bringing cake. A great line up of teachers and lots of other social activities. Check out the web site.

(don't borrow off me though, I charge too much)

...Incidentally the male/female ratio here is virtually equal, whilst the lessons are generally harder. This seems to go against the mantra of "blokes find it hard and therefore give up", as it seems instead to be "make it harder and blokes are more likely to stay". I'm sure there are other factors involved, but it is an interesting point...
    I would market MJ as a form of sport, and even spectator sport, to some sectors of the community. I want to see MJ with a very wide doorway, bringing in a wide section of the community.

Generally harder
    Interesting point, they are well harder and most classes I go to have a few guys over.
    Ok - that's the problem of writing posts at work; you get in the habit of minimising the use of adverbs in reports/letters etc., and then you get caught out writing posts on here. What I should have said is that the intermediate classes here can be scarily harder when compared with the intermediate classes in the UK. Modern Jive is treated more as a sport here, with more emphasis on routines and competitions. It was a big culture shock for me when I arrived here; having "men over" and an intermediate class that I really have to pay attention to do the moves correctly.

Thread Information