Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ban the Blacklists

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re: Ban the Blacklists

Quote Originally Posted by killingtime View Post
    Well as easily as having <meta name="audience" content="mature"/> on the page and having your browser recognise that. So parents can "lock" their kids browsers to a lower level ("everyone" say) and anything that isn't at that level is restricted so the child can't view it. This requires that the sites self regulate their content and I can tell you now that a lot of sites would incorrectly set this, not bother with it or straight up lie but if something like this became a recognised system then I'd be happy to include the tag on sites I have control over (of course they'd need guidelines as to what content constitutes what level).
    oh wouldnt that be lovely, that we can trust people to create web sites and successfully self-regulate It'd be like giving people a ferrari and trusting them to NEVER break the speed limit . Or communism. A fantastic political system that works perfectly until someone notices that in an equal society, one step forward is all it takes to be more powerful than EVERYONE else. Human nature's a bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    oh wouldnt that be lovely, that we can trust people to create web sites and successfully self-regulate
    Why not? I'm not saying all people would do it but I'd be happy to and I'm quite sure other people would be as well. Do you not think that most people on, say, Wikipedia would provide this information if the option was there? I'm sure there would be cases where some other user then changed it for laughs but I'm not convinced that some level of self-regulation has no merit.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by killingtime View Post
    Why not? I'm not saying all people would do it but I'd be happy to and I'm quite sure other people would be as well. Do you not think that most people on, say, Wikipedia would provide this information if the option was there? I'm sure there would be cases where some other user then changed it for laughs but I'm not convinced that some level of self-regulation has no merit.
    oh i agree - but when looking at the commercial angle and what unscrupulous people have to gain by lying, i know it wouldnt work. If someone was to organise what you say tomorrow, you're right it would improve things but it wouldnt stop search engines returning the usual "not what i was looking for" pages that are lying or not taking part in the meta-tag description idea. In effect this already exists in html and google learned long ago to ignore it completely in results.

Thread Information