Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Unique Names

Unique Names

I have recently spoken to a work collegue who has just had a baby girl 2 weeks ago and decided to call her "Azaria" (apparently another name for South Africa ). Azaria is the third of 3 girls with the other girls being called China and Jamaica (pronounced "Jameeka")

EDIT: Just realised it is "Azania". Apologises for misspelling.

Now today, I have read this article

What is it with parents wanting to choose unique names for their kids?

Does anyone else know any unique names that kids have been called?
    Do the kids actually suffer any consequences from these names?
    Last edited by Dizzy; 9th-August-2007 at 01:17 PM.

An Eclectic Toaster

Re: Unique Names

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
    I have recently spoken to a work collegue who has just had a baby girl 2 weeks ago and decided to call her "Azaria" (apparently another name for South Africa ). Azaria is the third of 3 girls with the other girls being called China and Jamaica (pronounced "Jameeka")
    Or maybe she's a fan of either The Simpsons or The Mystery Men? I suppose the clincher will be if their next child is called Castellaneta.

Reading baby name books is a great laugh, I must say.

Not met them myself but my Auntie was quite astonished to meet two children whose names she assumed were a wind up by the folk she worked beside. Their names.....Chlamydia and Febreeze

Jordan and Peter have named their daughter Princess Tiamii

I would think a numpty name is the least of her worries...she has to come to terms with who her parents are first.

Now today, I have read this article

Here (Australia), Azaria means a baby taken by a dingo (and the mother gaoled for infanticide) (but you probably don't want to read that).

On the more general issue, names are probably irrelevant. I have several cards with ID numbers long enough to give a unique number to every human who ever lived. So why does every website ask for my name?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by timbp View Post
    Here (Australia), Azaria means a baby taken by a dingo (and the mother gaoled for infanticide) (but you probably don't want to read that).

On the more general issue, names are probably irrelevant. I have several cards with ID numbers long enough to give a unique number to every human who ever lived. So why does every website ask for my name?
    because you are a kangaroo ?

or that there would be outrage by the Patrick McGoohan fanclub at the very thought of being represented by a number ?

Its interesting that in our 'Western' culture we tend to pick names for children that we like, or like the sound of, or think goes well with the surname. In many other cultures the name is significant because of what it means. I was reminded of this a couple of weeks ago when I overheard a conversation between a customer and waiter in a hotel. The waiter gave the name of his new baby and immediately explained what it meant. We don't always think about what a name means.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

but then some names we use don't mean anything. Historically most names we picked would have had some history of their own - familiy names, names of past warriors and heros and the like. I think people still put far more import on that than they do the sound etc...i think you're right but that the things you mention are secondary concerns.

We did this too - our daughter is Niamh after the Irish Goddess and our son is Aedan after an early Scottish King. If it had been a girl - Mhairi was the winning name at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    there would be outrage by the Patrick McGoohan fanclub at the very thought of being represented by a number ?
    Pleased to meet you .. I'm Pi.. write my name in this box? ok 3.1415926535 897932384626... erm ALL my name? I might be here a while?

I know of a Heidi Hole, a Teresa Green and a Matt Black. I'm Peter William, but was almost christened Willam Peter. Until my parents realised that Little, Pete is a LOT better than the alternative.

As for meanings of Names, Peter Means Rock, William means Resolute and Robert means "Bright/Famous" hmm I'm a Bright and Famous Resolute Rock?
    Last edited by Beowulf; 9th-August-2007 at 01:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    but then some names we use don't mean anything. Historically most names we picked would have had some history of their own - familiy names, names of past warriors and heros and the like. I think people still put far more import on that than they do the sound etc...i think you're right but that the things you mention are secondary concerns.
    Yes, names are often given because they are family names or have some association in some other way. Sorry, I forgot to include that as well.

And I know the meanings of many names are now forgotten. My point was that we don't really think about the meanings, wheras in some other cultures the meaning is an important part of why the name is chosen.

Azaria is a nice name.

Google, of course.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    Azaria is a nice name.

Google, of course.
    hmmm, maybe Azaria but I couldn't call a child Google

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    Yes, names are often given because they are family names or have some association in some other way. Sorry, I forgot to include that as well.

And I know the meanings of many names are now forgotten. My point was that we don't really think about the meanings, wheras in some other cultures the meaning is an important part of why the name is chosen.
    I get what you are saying but the majority of "normal" Westernised names mean something, e.g Lynn means Pretty
    Sarah means Princess
    Jack means God is Gracious
    William means Protector

Geraldine means Spear Ruler in German

I am not saying that I am against people naming children something that is meaningful and different but there seems to be a big trend on kids being named something just for the sake of it. After the 80's when Bob & Paula named the girls Pixie, Peaches & Tiger-Lily and then the 90's brought the name of Chardonnay.

I imagine that if I ever get a chance to name a baby, I will be wanting to find something that will individualise them and knowing me it will be something Gaelic but I just don't see the need to name a child just for the sake of fashion or trend.

I remember a girl in my primary school had a brother called Peter, his surname was Peters though , not a unique name but a bid odd. Also, a family friend called her son Pebble, unique ish, but the poor kid's surname was Stone and before you ask, yes I am being serious

I get what you are saying but the majority of "normal" Westernised names mean something
    ..but that's not usually the basis on which they are chosen or not the explanation commonly given when telling someone about a new name. I wasn't called Lynn because my parents thought I was pretty.

I have no problem with that, just noticed it as a cultural difference.

Interesting that the elvish names and place names in LTR did mean something, they were derived from the languages JRRT was creating.

e.g Lynn means Pretty
    I've seen that before on those 'name' things but from what origin/language? I've also read it was from old English for small pool or waterfall (as in Dublin).

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Chapter 6 of Freakonomics talks about the socioeconomic patterns of naming children, and I read an article recently about this sort of thing too - I remember reading that one class in London had two 8-years olds named "Unique"

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

I get what you are saying but the majority of "normal" Westernised names mean something, e.g Lynn means Pretty
    Sarah means Princess
    Jack means God is Gracious
    William means Protector
    They dont really, at least not in the way an Oriental name "means something" - they are more like labels that could be applied to a name that nobody pays the slightest bit of attention to

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

I tried naming my children with names that were unsual but not too obscure.

They are called Ericah Amazon and Huey Tiger. (got Huey from the fun loving criminals, not Huey Lewis)

I've seen that before on those 'name' things but from what origin/language? I've also read it was from old English for small pool or waterfall.
    Quick check, its Linda, not Lynn that means pretty - from Spanish. Lynn generally seems to be from English and means waterfall or pool below a waterfall.

Quick check, its Linda, not Lynn that means pretty - from Spanish. Lynn generally seems to be from English and means waterfall or pool below a waterfall.
    It's funny that no websites seem to say the same thing - I have seen everything from pretty and beautiful in English - all the way to waterfall cascade in Gaelic

I suppose that expains the origin of the town Kings Lynn

Thread Information