Thread: Rants and raves - ignore if grumpy yourself

Rants and raves - ignore if grumpy yourself

I remember Vision On, ground-breaking kid's TV from the seventies, IIRC partly aimed at deaf people.

They used to have a Gallery Corner, with a lovely tune, which for me has ever since brought back balmy afternoons after school when I had not a care in the world, watching Morph and the Professor.

The tune has now been hijacked by those b@st@rds at Picture Loans, for their migraine inducing, horribly naff adverts "Josh! Dad's found yer scoo'er".

Now, whenever I hear it my head twitches and my hands start to spasm, as I fantasise about strangling to death the ghastly people in the advert.

Will I ever recover that sweet xyolophone tune I loved so much?

An Eclectic Toaster

Re: Rants and raves - ignore if grumpy yourself

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    I remember Vision On, ground-breaking kid's TV from the seventies, IIRC partly aimed at deaf people.

They used to have a Gallery Corner, with a lovely tune, which for me has ever since brought back balmy afternoons after school when I had not a care in the world, watching Morph and the Professor.

The tune has now been hijacked by those b@st@rds at Picture Loans, for their migraine inducing, horribly naff adverts "Josh! Dad's found yer scoo'er".

Now, whenever I hear it my head twitches and my hands start to spasm, as I fantasise about strangling to death the ghastly people in the advert.

I thought it was a marimba myself, and the tune must have been used in Take Hart as well, but I share your pain.

Actually the "tune in an ad" which hacks me off just now is in a car insurance ad, and seems to consist of a bloke making a weird gulping noise. Mongolian throat-singing it ain't...

First star to the right and straight on till morning...

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post

Something really serious and important! "I'm sorry but we cannot return any of your pictures..." Even met Wilf Lunn the professor and got his autograph when I was a kid. What have they done to it?

What was the thing that shot around the top of the room tho?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

hmm sometimes its best to make your thoughts slightly more coherant before you write them down

the thing was one of this fluffy worms on a string wasnt it ?

First star to the right and straight on till morning...

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    hmm sometimes its best to make your thoughts slightly more coherant before you write them down

the thing was one of this fluffy worms on a string wasnt it ?
    Aye, the enthusiasm as the memories come flooding back

Ah yes, the fluffy worm thing, but didn't it have a name?

An Eclectic Toaster

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart M View Post
    Actually the "tune in an ad" which hacks me off just now is in a car insurance ad, and seems to consist of a bloke making a weird gulping noise. Mongolian throat-singing it ain't...
    Now that took a while to find out...apparently it is the "Hawaiian War Chant", by Spike Jones and his City Slickers, from 1946. Though I think Tommy Dorsey did it first. It still sounds like someone being ill IMO.

Thread Information