Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sunday Freestyles / Tea Dances

Sunday Freestyles / Tea Dances

Is it me or are these coming back in fashion? In our neck of the woods we now have 4, and the promise fo more to come. I fondly remember the tea dances in London, especially the Sunday Jango ones (are these still going?) ... and I wondered what people actualy want.

Too lazt to strat a poll ... actualy I think there are too many variables. First of all:

Time ... should it be afternoon (say 2 to 6) or evening (7 to 11)?

Music ... blues, pop, laid back funk, challenging?

Numbers ... are we looking for a 100+ or for a small select band of 20 or so.

Venue: Some where different (boat on the Thames ), a town bar with a dnace area, a schooll hall or a standard venue halll?

Atmosphere .... focused on the dancing, or focused on the social aspect with the dance a secondary thing?

So .... what would YOU want?

Re: Sunday Freestyles / Tea Dances

Funny you should mention this, I have just finished preparing my August list and am surprised how many Sunday events there are these days

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    So .... what would YOU want?
    Creche facilities? (where's that begging emoticon when you need it?).

That's a Ha Ha Only Serious by the way; it is vaguely feasible to take Katie to a Tea Dance (depending on music volume and crowding), when it wouldn't be possible at an evening venue. As a consequence, tea dances are the only place Bryony and I have managed to dance together since Katie was born.

You could even dance the three of you. I know a couple who dance tango with a baby on their arms (his right and her left in close embrace). I am sure Katie would love it. No aerials with her though!

Time ... should it be afternoon (say 2 to 6) or evening (7 to 11)?
    If it is local 7-11 would is fine as it eats into the weekend less, but for anything involving significant travel 2-6 or 3-7 would be better.

A lesson would also be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Raul View Post
    You could even dance the three of you. I know a couple who dance tango with a baby on their arms (his right and her left in close embrace). I am sure Katie would love it. No aerials with her though!
    Pretty impossible to dance with Katie without putting her in an aerial! She's perfectly fine being carried in a fish (lift) though - have cuddled her to sleep like that a few times.

Apparently there's some kind of reflex babies have that makes them do a near-perfect "Dirty Dancing" lift if you have your hands in the right place. Before anyone accuses me, I didn't find that out myself. It was the doctor in our NCT group who demonstrated it (more to test the reflex than for the dance move, of course).

I like the idea of a sunday tea dance, but I too would need something to keep the kids occupied. Perhaps a room where they can watch dvd's and play board games etc. or a play area?

The problem is, you would need a qualified and vetted adult to supervise.

Franck and Sheena used to put on the best Sunday Tea Dances in the World.

The music is chilled without being horizontal. A bit of everything, apart from what you're used to hearing on a mainstream floor too often.

It is on late afternoon.

It is on at a different, smaller, more intimate venue.

The numbers aren't too high, so the floor isn't too crowded. Maybe 40 max.

The atmosphere is relaxed. Plenty of time to chat.

The cakes are yummy!

Unfortunately we haven't been getting many tea dances around Scotland lately...

I think I enjoy tea dances more than the typical Saturday night "party".
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

The only MJ tea dance I've been to so far is the boat in London - which I love, even though I can't always make it. Whatever the music is like, it always seems to be a bit more chilled, and there is more room to chat - and you can often hear other people in a way you can't at other venues. I like it being on the Thames (I love the river) and being able to watch the sun go down and the lights come up in the winter, or enjoy the sunshine in the summer (I've been fairly lucky so far!).

I think that up to 7pm is a good idea - I don't really like a late night on a Sunday night (though I do intend to try the new Putney Sunday night sometime). Also, a tea dance by definition should be in the afternoon shouldn't it? That's a traditional time for it anyway.

Sundays is an interesting question.

I used to love the Jango t-dances etc. It was a really nice atmosphere as it was smaller number than, say, a big Friday or Saturday night and was just relaxed.

At the start of September we are going to start a regular WCS freestyle on a Sunday evening in Clapham in London from 8ish until about 11. Its a bit of a risk as obviously its WCS, which is still in its infancy, but also as its on a Sunday.

The only trouble is, there are only so many days in the week. Fridays and Saturdays are more or less packed so at the minute its only Sunday evenings where there is nothing much going on.

Its going to be interesting. It may work, it may not. Will have to wait and see. I do tend to prefer Sundays though. Especially at weekenders

Andy McGregor puts on the best Tea Dances ......... he even supplies Sunday papers for the muggle partners

PLUS Lots of yummy cakes and fruit and an unlimitted supply of tea coffee and soft drinks (he even has yummy sarnies)

--ooOoo--

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.

Commercial Operator

I fondly remember the tea dances in London, especially the Sunday Jango ones (are these still going?)
    Yes, still going strong each month, though they are probably more tango influenced than those of old, there are still non Jangoistas turning up to do jive/WCS etc.

I think 3 to 6 is about right, gives those who want Sunday lunch a chance to come, as well as those that have evening commitments. Though maybe an extra half hour would be good, as there are still plenty of dancers sticking it out to the end.

Greg

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post

~snip all the good bits about tea dances~

I discovered last summer that a tea dance is, for me, one of (if not THE) best ways to spend a Sunday afternoon. Sadly they're few and far between nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post

I think I enjoy tea dances more than the typical Saturday night "party".
    Quote Originally Posted by ShinyWeeStar View Post
    I discovered last summer that a tea dance is, for me, one of (if not THE) best ways to spend a Sunday afternoon. Sadly they're few and far between nowadays.

Another vote for Sunday afternoon tea-dances. Any hope that they could be started up again on a regular basis?...

Quote Originally Posted by firefly View Post
    Another vote for Sunday afternoon tea-dances. Any hope that they could be started up again on a regular basis?...
    Nearer Inverness???!! (meaning wistful, not sarcastic like it's s'posed to be)

I love the Sunday tea-dances we got last summer in scotland and the one Jango tea dance that I went to probably tops my list! However I have to be in the right frame of mind and there has to be plenty of partners while not being too crowded. (I know I'm a Fussy B****R).

To actually answer Gus's question I like a variety of music with upbeat funky but not really fast music mixed in with some smoother tracks. However it does have to flow easily from one track to another and not be too jarring as it changes from one track to the next!

I have to say I agree with Paul and Sunday's at weekenders are my favorite because by then your all chilled and relaxed and into the swing of things!

All in all I tend to like tea dances! esecially the one we had in inverness where we sat in the beer garden drinking after and then headed for pizza!

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    I have to say I agree with Paul and Sunday's at weekenders are my favorite because by then your all chilled and relaxed and into the swing of things!
    Though I like the idea of a afternoon rather than an evening dance, it still feel odd dancing while the sun is up I wondered whether others felt that way. On the other hand I used to you to the Warrington Sunday evening dance round here. Its popular, and don't see that changing, but with the thought of Monday morning hanging over me, I didn't feel comfortable dancing late-ish.

With Jango it was great. Aside from the awesome music, dancers and cakes .... the 6-ish finish meant we could wander down the road for a few drinks and munchies then wander off home with plenty of time to iron shirts and all those other humdrum things.

.............. Aside from the awesome music, dancers and cakes .... the 6-ish finish meant we could wander down the road for a few drinks and munchies then wander off home with plenty of time to iron shirts and all those other humdrum things.

I remember the Tea Dances at the Harry Secombe Centre in Sutton run by John Vassallo about 10 years ago ........ they were fantastic, like Jango, great music, great company and lots of great dances, it finished about 6pm and then lots of us went for a meal together after (The were preceded by a West Coast Swing lesson by the very competant Hakim, and followed by WCS freestyle mixed with MJ)

I can't get my head around "TEA" dances that finish at 10pm or thereabouts -in fact I never label them as such on my list

Tea Dances should be in the afternoon and not after your evening meal, that misses the point However, Sunday evening dances that start and finish early are good too, but they really should have another name

--ooOoo--

Commercial Operator

I love tea dances.

I loved the Jango ones I did. I loved the FL one I did. I loved the ones Franck did in Stirling. The ones in Bromsgrove are cool, albeit, slightly later. I REALLY want to do one of Andy McG's...

Chilled vibe. Chilled/different/challenging but great tunage. Cakes. Newspapers and, of course, tea and coffee.

So, I'm hoping to do all that's good with tea dances with the one I'm holding in Edinburgh, in September.

My only problem with tea dances is that I don't want them to stop

Thread Information