Thread: A truely Rank smell

A truely Rank smell

.. has been coming from my car for weeks.
    I thought it might be some fruit that had gone mouldy I've investigated and there is nothing there..
    TO my embarrassment one of my friends asked me if I have a dog - the car smells of one...
    I don't... But I did notice my dance trainers on the floor I keep them there so I can practice wherever I want. I use Scholl shoe deoderiser that reeks to high heaven but I now think that the bacteria from my shooes have bred in my warm car and are now covering every thing...
    The whole thing is one huge microbe on wheels... URRGGGHHHH

I am willing to try every thing to get my car pristine again, including sob removing my trainers... but what about the rich culture of microbes... how can they be banished!!

I'm desperate

Re: A truely Rank smell

Quote Originally Posted by DianaS View Post
    I'm desperate
    ok A couple of suggestions.. Fresh air.. loads of it. Drive to the beach, open up all the doors and windows and sit next to it eating ice cream, catching some sun (haha sorry) while the nice fresh sea air blows through it for a while.

Do you have a garage? leave a window open if you can to let air flow. Bacteria LOVES stale air.

2nd suggestion a weak solution of Dettol and a sponge. Don't soak the car but slightly damp and scrub the fabrics. Then let the car air dry as above.

If you can't get the car dry properly the problem will get worse. so if the worst comes to the worst use a hairdryer

3rd suggestion Febreeze?

The smells will have bonded with the fabrics.. so the carpets, seat upholstery etc needs to be disinfected and deodorised.

all this and I don't even have a sense of smell myself. Comes from years of worrying about me/my room/my belongings smelling.

Blog Entries

Take it to a proper valet. Worth every penny to get upholstery cleaned and carpets cleaned. It will be as if new when you get it back. Think you can get a good one for about £50 max.

Commercial Operator

Bacteria need something to feed on. Get your car valeted and take away their food supply. Of course it may be that it's not bacteria at all.

Sell car to the three people at your local venue who will apparently not notice.

Zuhal

Commercial Operator

I had a real problem with a disgusting smell in my car a while back.

I took out each child in turn and established that it wasn't any of them...

It turned out that I must have parked under a tree and an unfortunate baby bird and fallen from its nest and landed on that little gap of bonnet near the windscreen. It had rolled under and was merrily rotting, right next to the intake for the air vents...

Amazingly, once the rotting animal had been removed and the area thoroughly cleaned, the smell in the car dramatically improved!

I even allow the children back in it now!

Anyway - check your air vents!

Quote Originally Posted by SnowWhite View Post

Anyway - check your air vents!

Good idea.

I heard a story once about a disgruntled sacked employee who put prawns behind the car door panels before handing his company car back.

Im my own experience, spilt milk from a shopping bag is difficult to clean off and the pong is horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    Bacteria need something to feed on. Get your car valeted and...
    ...for god's sake don't sit too still in there.

Lightbulb Re: A truely Rank smell

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    ...for god's sake don't sit too still in there.

Eeeeekkk
    No Fear!!

Sprayed the interior with fabreeze
    and left a pile of baby power in a tray on the seat. Apparently it absorbs odours - as does baking powder

If that doesn't work I'll have it valeted.
    If it does I've saved £50 and can have some new shoes

It is disgusting though...
    I just hope that it isn't me!

Eeeeekkk

and left a pile of baby power in a tray on the seat. Apparently it absorbs odours - as does baking powder
    !
    Son reckons I shouldn't leave the baby powder in view. Reckons some one will break into the car thinking its crack cocaine

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Apparently Cat litter is excellent for absorbing odours as well.
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Smile Re: A truely Rank smell

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    Apparently Cat litter is excellent for absorbing odours as well.
    euuughhh Cat litter!!
    I'd rather have the baby power
    And I might be able to recyle it after. Whats the street value of used baby powder??

Son reckons I shouldn't leave the baby powder in view. Reckons some one will break into the car thinking its crack cocaine
    euuughhh Cat litter!!
    I'd rather have the baby power
    And I might be able to recyle it after. Whats the street value of used baby powder??
    Possibly quite high if son sells it.
    "Psst. Wanna buy some (nudge, nudge, wink, wink) "baby powder?"

Registered User Northants Girly's Avatar

Long, long ago I had a lovely little Vauxhall Nova. It was ~ 10 years old when I realized that the footwell of the passenger side seemed to be permantly wet (and smelly). It transpired that water was getting in the bonnet and leaking past the battery , through a rusty hole and into the footwell. I had the hole welded and all was well again

What with all this wet weather maybe your car has sprung a leak?

Also, a few months ago I spilt some milk in the back footwell of a garage courtesy car. I attempted to clean it with every substance known to man including febreeze as it started to get smelly - but nothing worked. In the end the car was recalled cos I'd done so many miles on it (like ~ 1400 - long story!) it needed servicing etc. So then I got a nice new clean one

Try this. It always works with the smell of freshly painted rooms.

Cut a raw onion in two and leave the cut sides turned up in the car overnight. The onion absorbs the paint smell and quite surprisingly there is little or no onion smell.

Gypsies never use a leftover onion piece because it absorbs impurities from the air.

Quote Originally Posted by Northants Girly View Post
    Also, a few months ago I spilt some milk in the back footwell of a garage courtesy car. I attempted to clean it with every substance known to man including febreeze as it started to get smelly - but nothing worked.
    That reminds me of when I got married. When we left the reception it quickly became apparent that my friends had "decorated" my car. The trouble was, they had sprayed messages onto the windows with aerosol whipped cream. Yes, real dairy cream. When I went to the car wash the next day the water just washed the cream off the windows and down inside the doors, and during our honeymoon (and for weeks afterwards) we had to put up with the smell of rotten cream coming from the car doors. It was made worse by the fact that the weather was rather hot and sunny that summer.

Blog Entries

My new car stinks of cigarette smoke

3 soakings in febreeze and several all windows open car journeys later and it's becoming less noticeable, but I think it's going to be a long time before it goes completely.

Oooo, just had a thought. I haven't sprayed the roof lining! I expect that's where the last of the smells are lingering!

Thread Information