Thread: King Kenny Dalglish - Nice football moments

King Kenny Dalglish - Nice football moments

One of my heroes is King Kenny Dalglish.

To me he is an icon renowned in Merseyside as Liverpool's best player since Billy Liddell, probably best ever and also for his charity work.

I had the privilege of seeing King Kenny play in one of his first games at Anfield and I recall the electricity that shook the ground everytime he got the ball. Incredible vision, skill, economy of movement and very direct. He was a true hero. He had a massive reputation at Celtic and I had one of those Esso medallion type things of King Kenny. I ws amazed that he decided to grace Anfield with his presence. The Reds were thinking of getting Trevor Francis at the time.....thank goodness they did not. King Trev does not have the same ring to it.

One of my favourite recollections ( I was not there) was when he actually won the title with Blackburn at Anfield. I have tried to find this episode on You tube but the bit I found is a bit lacking.

It was a beautiful moment when the Anfield crowd realised that he had won the title and went absolutely mad for him. Just before that, Jamie Redknapp had virtually silenced the Liverpool supporters by scoring a cracker of a goal, which they were afraid would lead to Man U winning the title and would deprive King Kenny of his title.

Seeing old footage of King Kenny almost brings tears to my eyes, he was that good.

By the way I heard that when he went to Blackburn, at training, he was still the best player on the park.

One of the forum members, my dance partner, has also seen King Kenny play at Anfield. I took her to the Tsunami game. Admittedly, he was in his mid fifties but it was like my child hood revisited when he came on the park. I think he almost made a goal for someone else straight away.

Does anyone else have any fond memories of King Kenny?
    Last edited by Ste; 28th-July-2007 at 01:42 PM.

Commercial Operator

Re: King Kenny Dalglish - Nice football moments

Quote Originally Posted by Ste View Post
    Does anyone else have any fond memories of King Kenny?
    Maybes aye, maybes naw...

Nutmegging Ray Clemence seems to be in my head. Was that him?!?

Quote Originally Posted by CJ View Post

Most footballers did that at one time or another. David Seaman was often outwitted as well.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ View Post

Aye. Och aye.

Being an Arsenal Supporter i hated King Kenny for years as he often destroyed us with his magic, his finest hour in my opinion was his goal for scotland against iceland or someone similar, twisting and jinking around a fewa player before curling a left footer into the top corner, checking you tube now for the goal, i`ll post it if i can find it......Awesome talent..

An Eclectic Toaster

This once football-mad 8 year old fondly recalls Kenny's glancing header from a tight angle at Anfield one night in October 1977.

Of course, the Welsh will prefer to recall Joe Jordan's "high 5" with the cliche-bustingly named Wales centre-half, Dave Jones, which happened a few minutes earlier...

I think Kenny's playing career is fondly remembered, because he always looked like he loved playing. That big childish grin was all over his face when he wheeled away to celebrate a goal. Hard to believe one of his first playing stints was as goalkeeper for minor league side Cumbernauld United!

I'll always remember him for his part in a 4th round FA Cup tie at Sunderland around 1982 or 83, where I was living at the time. Liverpool played 15 minutes of total football and completely destroyed Sunderland. Dalglish got one goal and set up the other two for Ian Rush. They were 3-0 up inside 15 minutes and the match was effectively over after that.

Best memory I had of kenny was when he married my cousin.

Worst memory of him was when he signed for Celtic as he was brought up as a rangers fan.

Funny no one really knows that.

Only changed when he got married in the chapel in Lambhill in Possilpark.

Anyway he is by football standard King Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart M View Post
    This once football-mad 8 year old fondly recalls Kenny's glancing header from a tight angle at Anfield one night in October 1977.

Of course, the Welsh will prefer to recall Joe Jordan's "high 5" with the cliche-bustingly named Wales centre-half, Dave Jones, which happened a few minutes earlier...

I think Kenny's playing career is fondly remembered, because he always looked like he loved playing. That big childish grin was all over his face when he wheeled away to celebrate a goal. Hard to believe one of his first playing stints was as goalkeeper for minor league side Cumbernauld United!
    I remember that night. What a goal.

I supported Wales that night and almost got into a fight with a much older boy at China club who was supporting Scotland.

Thread Information