Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it just me or is this just not done.....

Registered User Almost an Angel's Avatar
    Heaven of course, currently on secondment to purgatory

Is it just me or is this just not done.....

So I go out as normal to my regular Thursday night dance (Fleet for those of you who are interested) and when I come out I find my car has been leafleted. Not a big thing there are always promoters for Clubs and Bars putting flyers on cars so didn't think too much of it - would have been better if I'd noticed it before I started driving home though.

I read the flyer when I remove it only to see that it's a flyer for a dance event held by a new local independent (I have nothing against independents before I get flamed - I started at one - and there are no problems with the regular local ones). The venue it's advertising isn't even the same one that's been leafleted and it's on a different night this is where I have an issue. So the promoter has driven the 30 mins from the venue they're advertising to the largest venue in the area and purposefully leafleted cars parked around the venue.

I thought there was an unwritten rule that you just don't do this. Fair enough when it comes to advertising and promoting locally and leafleting through doors etc. but promoting your event at other peoples venues when there is no connection and no permission asked is just plain rude!

The plot thickens further as apparently the same person went to another local well established venue which is on the same night that they are promoting and was handing out leaflets to people in the venue!

I thought this type of thing happening had died a death quite some time ago.

Angel xx
    Last edited by Almost an Angel; 27th-July-2007 at 10:39 AM. Reason: sp!

Re: Is it just me or is this just not done.....

I'm probably in a minority here, but I actually think there's nothing wrong with it (over and above general 'leaflets are spam' argument).

I've seen it done many times, heard many established organisations argue against it (well, they would, wouldn't they ), and I've seen organisations send people out into the car parks to remove said leaflets (actually, considerably worse offence IMO).

As far as I am concerned, as a punter, I am happy to have someone tell me about forthcoming events, and if that happens to be via a leaflet on a windscreen, no complaints here.

Put it another way. I can see the side of the argument that says an organisation has a perfect right to not allow other organisations to have leaflets distributed inside their venues. If they so choose. I don't see any organisation has the right to extend that outside of the venue. (unless they actually own the car park/property or something like that).
    Last edited by TA Guy; 27th-July-2007 at 11:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Almost an Angel View Post
    So I go out as normal to my regular Thursday night dance (Fleet for those of you who are interested) and when I come out I find my car has been leafleted. Not a big thing there are always promoters for Clubs and Bars putting flyers on cars so didn't think too much of it - would have been better if I'd noticed it before I started driving home though.

I read the flyer when I remove it only to see that it's a flyer for a dance event held by a new local independent (I have nothing against independents before I get flamed - I started at one - and there are no problems with the regular local ones). The venue it's advertising isn't even the same one that's been leafleted and it's on a different night this is where I have an issue. So the promoter has driven the 30 mins from the venue they're advertising to the largest venue in the area and purposefully leafleted cars parked around the venue.

I thought there was an unwritten rule that you just don't do this. Fair enough when it comes to advertising and promoting locally and leafleting through doors etc. but promoting your event at other peoples venues when there is no connection and no permission asked is just plain rude!

The plot thickens further as apparently the same person went to another local well established venue which is on the same night that they are promoting and was handing out leaflets to people in the venue!

I thought this type of thing happening had died a death quite some time ago.

Angel xx

Its been going on 20yrs plus and probably long before that

I dont think the car park or my car are own by the person running fleet

so good luck to the new venture always handy to know something new

think makes sense to tell a target market rather then 10,000 random mail drops

Can you scan the leaflet on here ?

Commercial Operator

I thought there was an unwritten rule that you just don't do this.
    I think there's a few people who aren't very good at reading unwritten rules. As marketing tactics go, I think it's a bad one - it's extremely bad manners, it engenders ill-feeling, and it would actually put me off the venue being advertised. Get permission from the venue owner (if they're willing) and put flyers out inside the venue with the others - that's the polite thing to do. And if you can't get custom without resorting to this kind of stuff, you're in the wrong business, I feel.

Unfortunately though - it's quite mild as tactics go - a recent one I saw was when organiser A had his venue cancelled out from under him at the last second. Organisation B got wind of this, and sent someone out to the venue to tell them that they were sent by organiser A, and that he'd relocated to their own evening at Venue B, so please tell anyone that enquires or turns up to go there instead.

Underhanded stuff like this does nothing to help the scene, imho

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

I've seen leaflets distributed in this way too.

I've also heard a instructor giving out the wrong dates for a rivals freestyle.

There has been more than one instance of an organisor putting on a totally free freestyle to conflict with a rivals charity one!!!!! fortunatly it backfired and he had about 10 people come to his and 150+ to the charity one.

I think Andy once had someone send out their email newsletter with comments in there about Andys wife !!!!

IMHO when I see these tactices, it only makes me doubt the integratity of an organisor. I Always try new venues at least twice. I will alway base weather I go back on their quality.

So I go out as normal to my regular Thursday night dance (Fleet for those of you who are interested) and when I come out I find my car has been leafleted.
    Aside from the littering factor, I don't see a big problem with this...

Though perhaps if it was my windscreen I might feel different.

The venue it's advertising isn't even the same one that's been leafleted and it's on a different night this is where I have an issue.
    So an another organiser leafleting for a rival event in the same venue, or on the same night would be more acceptable?
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Registered User Almost an Angel's Avatar
    Heaven of course, currently on secondment to purgatory

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    I think there's a few people who aren't very good at reading unwritten rules. As marketing tactics go, I think it's a bad one - it's extremely bad manners, it engenders ill-feeling, and it would actually put me off the venue being advertised. Get permission from the venue owner (if they're willing) and put flyers out inside the venue with the others - that's the polite thing to do. And if you can't get custom without resorting to this kind of stuff, you're in the wrong business, I feel.

Unfortunately though - it's quite mild as tactics go - a recent one I saw was when organiser A had his venue cancelled out from under him at the last second. Organisation B got wind of this, and sent someone out to the venue to tell them that they were sent by organiser A, and that he'd relocated to their own evening at Venue B, so please tell anyone that enquires or turns up to go there instead.

Underhanded stuff like this does nothing to help the scene, imho
    The stupid thing is - if he actually asked permission he would probably have been allowed to leave flyers on the table in the venue - the venue is known for having a wide range of leaflets available even for other events as long as they've asked permission to put them out - it's only polite after all.

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi
    So an another organiser leafleting for a rival event in the same venue, or on the same night would be more acceptable?
    If there are two people who use the same hall / venue then it would be nice to actually get along. Point in case - a new venue has been running since March and is building up well - a different independent also started using the hall for monthly dances at the same time - are there any problems - no. Both of the flyers are on the venue noticeboard with no issues from either side and no underhand tactics.

The fact that this person has actually made a concerted effort to specifically target the people at a different venue is what I have an issue with, especially as it is well out of the general catchment area. The venues in question are a good 20-30 mins apart by car.

The stupid thing is - if he actually asked permission he would probably have been allowed to leave flyers on the table in the venue - the venue is known for having a wide range of leaflets available even for other events as long as they've asked permission to put them out - it's only polite after all.

The fact that this person has actually made a concerted effort to specifically target the people at a different venue is what I have an issue with, especially as it is well out of the general catchment area. The venues in question are a good 20-30 mins apart by car.
    so when you phoned them what did they say ?

Blog Entries

This happens a lot. I think more so in Salsa funnily enough. I always get it at Salsa venues and not so much MJ.

I think its polite to ask first but most would say no.

Its just part and parcel of business and there are nothing but politics between clubs as we all know. Most of them would rather bite their nose off dispite their face than work with another venue to maximise each others sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    This happens a lot. I think more so in Salsa funnily enough. I always get it at Salsa venues and not so much MJ.

I think its polite to ask first but most would say no.

Its just part and parcel of business and there are nothing but politics between clubs as we all know. Most of them would rather bite their nose off dispite their face than work with another venue to maximise each others sales.
    I can see how it would bother the owner but it wouldnt bother me the car owner

use to get them at Ashtons ages back

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    Wonder where it ends. A flyers B so B stages his crew outside A's venue to make sure everyone going in and out gets a flyers. A then tries to take over B's venue by offering more money. B retailiates by making phantom calls to cancel A's bookings. A responds by printing detailed reasons why A is a better teacher / DJ / Organsier than B. B puts the boot in by letting it slip to all and sundry about A's affair with a married woman (women) ......

THEN its starts getting nasty.

Seen / heard of some of the above happening already. Without ettiquette and ethics there is nothing to stop the MJ world becoming really "dog eat dog". What is actually happening behind the scenes is bad enough. If things like flyering were to become accepted then it would only become worse.

I tthink trading standards would take a dim view of this, but I cannot find a web source. I think it might come under "self-regulation".
    Pick one -

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    I tthink trading standards would take a dim view of this,
    WHAT STANDARDS? Nearly every event on UK-Jive boasts the BEST DJ, the BEST venue, the BEST teachers .... go figure

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    I tthink trading standards would take a dim view of this, but I cannot find a web source. I think it might come under "self-regulation".
    Pick one -
    Leafletting causes littering and there are controls to stop littering. Authorities can designate areas of their own land or highways where leafletting is permitted and where it is permitted only with consent. Anyone distributing free literature in such an area without consent commits an offence, punishable by a fine or a fixed penalty. It is also an offence to commission or pay for the distribution of free printed matter in a designated area without the necessary consent.

The people who leaflet car parks run a significant risk if those car parks are operated by local authorities. My own view is that I will always put out leaflets if asked. However, other organisers can form their own views. One of our local organisers bans the competition for his events and sends out emails accusing us of such heinous things I will not repeat them here. Suffice it to say, Gus is close to the mark with the things he has listed

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    WHAT STANDARDS? Nearly every event on UK-Jive boasts the BEST DJ, the BEST venue, the BEST teachers .... go figure
    I think you will find that all those things apply to Peter Phillips. It has always saved me wondering who was the best and it means that I never need to think that it's me that's the best ...

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    Leafletting causes littering
    No the people who get them cause littering not the leaflets themselves

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    No the people who get them cause littering not the leaflets themselves
    Agreed Use Bins if handed to you (or Just say u dont want 1 lol simple), But this leaflet on car issue... shud ppl be aloud 2 put rubbish on you car? sureley thats like me walking into ur house and throwing paper on the floor u wouldnt like that? I mean no offesnse but why shud i have too walk 2 a bin to put some 1 else's rubbish in the bin? I would actulli do that tho but shud we have to?

Sorry for my grammer

Kyron

Quote Originally Posted by Vegetable View Post
    ... sureley thats like me walking into ur house and throwing paper on the floor u wouldnt like that? ...
    Happens all the time – don't you ever get leaflets through your letterbox?

(Welcome to the forum, btw! )
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    Happens all the time – don't you ever get leaflets through your letterbox?

(Welcome to the forum, btw! )
    omg that completly crossed my mind
    and i actulli hate it like 50 take away menus a week...
    save the trees....
    i much rather some 1 posted me an oak tree any way, probs more intreasting than mr burgers, burger house we now deliver at 5 am!! seriously who orders take away then?!

Thanks 4 the welcome have a nice day!

Kyron.

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    No the people who get them cause littering ...
    Yup - and it's deliberate! I detest people who leaflet cars, especially when it's wet and I have a soggy mess to scrape of my windscreen and wipers. So it goes on the floor, unread, to deliberately cause a litter menace. Why? Because me complaining is pointless - but if I can help create a serious litter menace then the local authority steps in and those responsible learn not to leaflet cars!

Thread Information