Poll: Which beginner moves are not safe on a crowded floor.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Poll: Which Beginner moves are not safe on a crowded floor.

Re: Ceroc introduces Dancing Test!

Quote Originally Posted by Raul View Post
    ... before hitting the freestyle floor...
    Could have been phrased better?

Re: Ceroc introduces Dancing Test!

Quote Originally Posted by Raul View Post
    And along the lines of the Driving Test, they have an exam all beginners must pass before hitting the freestyle floor.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    Could have been phrased better?
    ... before striking out?
    ... before stretching their dancing legs?
    ... before giving it large?

Re: the teaching of floorcraft

The MJ I have seen taught is with the dancers in close packed lines. They learn from the first not to stray sideways, and aclimatise to finishing in line. As a natural process they learn, from the first, to dance in 'their space' and the dimensions of that space. They learn as if on a crowded floor. We all remember those that get it wrong, but any first time viewer of an MJ freestyle could be forgiven for wondering why the floor is not littered with casualties.
    My final conclusion is that all of the moves are safe if done responsibly in a crowded, but disciplined, environment. If the dance floor is not generally safe then it probably qualifies as over-crowded.
    As has been said, some dancers that have been spoilt with lots of space can lose discipline, and be dangerous, as can some in other categories, like intoxicated or 'carried away'.

Re: the teaching of floorcraft

You can tell as you arrive that the first lesson has just ended because they are still dancing along lines .. until some "better dancers" come along and scatter them apart with a travelling triple spin. Many of them learn to copy the "flash" dancers.

p.s. It would appear from the poll that we should stop doing the step across as it is the most dangerous beginner move. It it goes wrong it is all our fault, remember!
    Last edited by Raul; 31st-July-2007 at 03:13 PM.

Re: Poll: Which Beginner moves are not safe on a crowded floor.

10 weeks in and I think all the beginners moves are pretty safe...have I got a lot to learn...

I do notice the more experience dancer do cover more floorspace and fairly often they come thundering in towards my partner when were are spreading out after a return say. When I see this happening I isntinctively pull my partner towards me out the way of the danger. Does kind of mess up my next move but better me looking a little silly than my partner getting covered in bruises.

Maybe when I get a bit better I'll be able to turn these pulling my partner out of danger moves into something swish?

Any thoughts

Smile Emergency! … Dive! Dive! Dive!

Quote Originally Posted by DundeeDancer View Post
    I do notice the more experience dancer do cover more floorspace and fairly often they come thundering in towards my partner when were are spreading out after a return say.

Maybe when I get a bit better I'll be able to turn these pulling my partner out of danger moves into something swish?

Any thoughts
    After a left-handed return … if you see this happening, finish the return by sweeping your hand to your right, between you and your partner, as soon as it comes down. This wiil stop her from stepping back, and indeed will make her step across herself to her left. Then do a Cerc-spin if it's safe, or some fancey footwork if you know any … or just stop, and start again, and explain how you rescued her!

After a right-handed return … go straight into a slow comb … smile! … and use the oppotunity to steer her round to somewhere safer, and to diss the opposition!

But you're already a good dancer …

When I see this happening I isntinctively pull my partner towards me out the way of the danger.
    That makes you a good dancer, and them bad dancers!

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Floorcraft

Quote Originally Posted by DundeeDancer View Post
    I do notice the more experience dancer do cover more floorspace and fairly often they come thundering in towards my partner when were are spreading out after a return say. When I see this happening I isntinctively pull my partner towards me out the way of the danger. Does kind of mess up my next move but better me looking a little silly than my partner getting covered in bruises.

Any thoughts
    The only advice I can give is to try to always be aware of the couples dancing around you - unfortunately I think this is something you can only develop with practice. Trying to do that, and to lead your partner as well, is very difficult - I re-discovered this in Tango social dancing.

But in theory, if you're aware enough, you'll react before the thundering "experienced" (!) dancer comes along, because you'll have seen them thundering around and be more aware of their habits. So you'll adjust your dancing to accommodate this, without needing to react at the last minute.

I've been very reliably informed that one of the key indicators of an advanced leader is how quickly they spot potential problems and how smoothly they can avoid them.

Thread Information