Thread: Edinburgh Festival & Fringe

Edinburgh Festival & Fringe

The Edinburgh Festival and Fringe is about to start.
    Are any of you forumites planning on visiting?
    If so what are you planning to see?
    what do you recommend?
    Post a review here.

Re: Edinburgh Festival & Fringe

Going to the IF comedy awards finals (formerly the perrier awards) again this year. Went last year for the first time, was a couple of alright acts but in general it was an excellent night. Particularly good were David O'Docherty and Paul Singha. We all went on the theorry that it should be the best of the best instead of picking random comedians and hoping for them to be alright.

Just missed going to the "tango fire" ( I think that's what it was called) show with loads of argintine tango. Met some friends who did go and they said it was amazing!

Not going this year - am on niece-sitting duties while my sister and her Bristol group Naked Voices sing at the fringe. They usually go every two years and sell out. They do busks around the place - last time they did a random one in a branch of Tesco - met in the fruit & vege, sang a verse & chorus, then immediately dispersed to look at melons and celery. Can any locals recommend good cheapish places to eat, drink or have coffee around Chambers Street?

Commercial Operator

Saturday 28th is the Mardi Gras in the Grassmarket. Live Swing, Jazz & Blues bands all afternoon. Sunday 29th, is Jazz on a summers day in Princes Street Gardens, Ross Bandstand. Free live Jazz, Swing & blues starts at 12.30pm.
    Always a good crowd of Edinburgh dancers at the Sunday event. We are usually on the grass to the right hand side of the bandstand.

Do you know if anything like this is happening on Saturday the 18th of August Dance Demon?
    I will probably be coming through with a group of ex uni friends - and my cousins (part of the group) have been asking about Ceroc - it would be nice to show them a bit live. Is there any that you know of?

Cheers

Whitetiger

Commercial Operator

The Jazz & Blues Festival ends on Sunday 5th August. There are a couple of things on in the Fringe, but unfortunately not on the 18th August. There's Big Band Swing on in St Andrews & St Georges church in George St. on Friday 24th, Ambassadors of Swing are in Assembly @ St Georges West in Shandwick Place from Monday 13th to Fri 17th............... There is also Red Hot & Blue on Friday 17th if you fancy a nights dancing to some really fab music supplied by yours truly .

Oh...just found this....The Rat Pack...Forever Swinging at C, Chambers Street on 12th-24th and 26th & 27th.....hope this helps

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Feelingpink View Post
    Not going this year - am on niece-sitting duties while my sister and her Bristol group Naked Voices sing at the fringe. They usually go every two years and sell out. They do busks around the place - last time they did a random one in a branch of Tesco - met in the fruit & vege, sang a verse & chorus, then immediately dispersed to look at melons and celery. Can any locals recommend good cheapish places to eat, drink or have coffee around Chambers Street?
    Can thoroughly recommend Naked Voices. I have 2 CDs, and have always enjoyed their mix of immense talent, interesting song choice and humour live.

(does anyone have a copy of their version of, "Leather," I could steal?!? Not looking at anyne in particular, Feelingpink )

Hey CJ, Leather? Haven't heard of that one - but also haven't had a chance to get to any of the Edinburgh previews either. They've just recorded a new album (well, kind of a half album) - which apparently is fab ... has a photograph of cherries on the front & will be on sale. If you get to see them, my sis is the one who sings the lead for "In These Shoes" - so go up & say 'hello'.

purplehyacinth

Quote Originally Posted by Feelingpink View Post
    . Can any locals recommend good cheapish places to eat, drink or have coffee around Chambers Street?

Cafe Lucano on George IV Bridge. Literally just round corner from Chambers St (ie about 2 shop fronts down from the corner with Chambers St.) In the later part of the afternoon ie after 3pm (or it could be after 3.30, I'd need to check) the sandwiches AND pastries (which are v. nice) are half price!

They also do meals, coffee etc, including a truly wicked coffee con panna (which can do serious damage to your waistline).

Ta for that. Will pass on info to my sis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dance Demon View Post
    Saturday 28th is the Mardi Gras in the Grassmarket. Live Swing, Jazz & Blues bands all afternoon. Sunday 29th, is Jazz on a summers day in Princes Street Gardens, Ross Bandstand. Free live Jazz, Swing & blues starts at 12.30pm.
    Always a good crowd of Edinburgh dancers at the Sunday event. We are usually on the grass to the right hand side of the bandstand.
    Remember to bring your picnic

First star to the right and straight on till morning...

Quote Originally Posted by Bombay Sapphire View Post
    The Edinburgh Festival and Fringe is about to start.
    Are any of you forumites planning on visiting?
    If so what are you planning to see?
    what do you recommend?
    Post a review here.
    I'll be up there the 13, 14 and 15th ..can't wait!

If anyone wants to meet and say hi would be nice.

Normally pop to the city restaurant for breakfast

Quote Originally Posted by Dance Demon View Post
    The Jazz & Blues Festival ends on Sunday 5th August. There are a couple of things on in the Fringe, but unfortunately not on the 18th August. There's Big Band Swing on in St Andrews & St Georges church in George St. on Friday 24th, Ambassadors of Swing are in Assembly @ St Georges West in Shandwick Place from Monday 13th to Fri 17th............... There is also Red Hot & Blue on Friday 17th if you fancy a nights dancing to some really fab music supplied by yours truly .

Oh...just found this....The Rat Pack...Forever Swinging at C, Chambers Street on 12th-24th and 26th & 27th.....hope this helps
    Thanks Dance Demon - all of that sounds lovely, and I would love to come - unfortunately - I will be holding a Birthday party in Glasgow for one of the group on the 17th - so even although I could finally afford the time off I still can't make it through to Edinburgh ...

Will keep on the lookout though and hope to meet you (and the rest of the Edinburgh gang) soon.

Whitetiger

F.a.b.1

I love Edinburgh at this time of year - it's absolutely buzzing and there's no shortage of things to do.

If dancing is on anyone's to do list, I recommend "Red Hot & Blue" which is on Friday 17th August. The music is fab (Dance Demon we love you! ) and everyone is very friendly.

Also Ceroc classes in Edinburgh take place in Marcos Leisure Centre, in Grove Street on Tuesdays & Thursdays. (check out the website for times). Usually people go to Cuba Norte, after the freestyle ends to chill, chat or continue dancing. You're very welcome to join us!

Anyway enjoy the festival. Maybe see you soon.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by F.a.b.1 View Post
    If dancing is on anyone's to do list,

on a dance forum...what are the chances ?

Just been to Eurobeat at the Pleasance.
    Taking the mickey out of the Eurovision Song Contest.
    Very good Show. Lots of fun.
    Well worth a visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Aye, I'll be having a dance.

Are you around 13th to 15th? Dunno if have met you before in "real life" - are you actually blue? Although that wouldn't stand out much during the fringe anyway eh.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Aye, I'll be having a dance.

Are you around 13th to 15th? Dunno if have met you before in "real life" - are you actually blue? Although that wouldn't stand out much during the fringe anyway eh.

Will be in going to Marco's on tuesday 14th

For anyone who is in Edinburgh during the festival I highly recommend seeing a group called "the magnets". I'm sure anyone who goes to see this group won't be disappointed. They are an A Capella. They do all the instrument noises with their mouth!

Very entertaining. They are at the Assembley rooms on George St. at 10:30pm every night. Best to check for availablity.

Check them out The Magnets Online Home

Thread Information