Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Harry Potter slowcoaches

Harry Potter slowcoaches

Anybody still reading HPATDH?

I finished ab-o-u-tnnnn4.30 pm Saturday. Anybody beat that?

I also did the laundry and went shopping earlier in the day.

Re: Harry Potter slowcoaches

have just started it...I am ssooo excited.

XXX XXX DTS Dave

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    10:30am Saturday. And I slept a few hours during that time, before finally finishing it. See - my willy's bigger than yours...

Commercial Operator

Anybody still reading HPATDH?

I also did the laundry and went shopping earlier in the day.

Noooo - I didn't finish 'till Sunday, so you beat me hands down. But then - I didn't buy it 'till after you finished it.

I'm now on a re-reading 'epic' - so have started the series again from the beginning (began Sunday evening) - halfway through Azkaban now.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    10:30am Saturday. And I slept a few hours during that time, before finally finishing it. See - my willy's bigger than yours...
    Well, I didn't start until about 10am.

So, my willie's bigger than yours if we're measuring the speed of the read.

But if we're measuring sheer geeky commitment - queuing to pick the book up at midnight and reading through till the sunrise - then you are welcome to that crown.

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    Noooo - I didn't finish 'till Sunday, so you beat me hands down. But then - I didn't buy it 'till after you finished it.

I'm now on a re-reading 'epic' - so have started the series again from the beginning (began Sunday evening) - halfway through Azkaban now.
    Oh, why? It's throwaway stuff. Try The sound and the fury by William Faulkner.

Blog Entries

So, my willie's bigger than yours if we're measuring the speed of the read.

I'm still gathering the botheredness to read the first one. Not going well so-far...
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

I'm well slow, I started at 01:00 Saturday morning, finished it at 21:00 Saturday night, but in between I was playing "Jamies Taxi Service" and ferrying people about for a couple of hours.

I'd say It took me 18 hours!

Commercial Operator

Oh, why? It's throwaway stuff. Try The sound and the fury by William Faulkner.
    Oh - why not? Sometimes a little throwaway stuff is good relaxation. Next up is a toss between The Subtle Knife, a reread of Saki's short stories, or trying your suggestion.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    I'm still gathering the botheredness to read the first one. Not going well so-far...
    Why so much fuss over a childrens book? I read the first two chapters of the first book and thought this is written for children, put it down never to be picked up again

And why have two covers? Which cover did you buy?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyr View Post
    Why so much fuss over a childrens book? I read the first two chapters of the first book and thought this is written for children, put it down never to be picked up again

Neither

The only reason I ever read the novels was because they became a cultural phenomenon, and it was difficult to avoid situations in which not understanding the references left one a little behind. I read all the books then published, don't recall how many, after the first film was released but before it came on TV, which was where I saw it. Took me 3 or 4 days, iirc. So, not exactly a chore. Unlike reading, say, War and peace which is much harder going!
    Last edited by Barry Shnikov; 25th-July-2007 at 09:45 AM.

Oh - why not? Sometimes a little throwaway stuff is good relaxation. Next up is a toss between The Subtle Knife, a reread of Saki's short stories, or trying your suggestion.
    Couldn't get the Subtle knife, floundered from half way through the first book to the end, feeling really quite at sea. But HH Munro is great. Teacher used to read them to us at school when I was ickle.

Neither

The only reason I ever read the novels was because they became a cultural phenomenon, and it was difficult to avoid situations in which not understanding the references left one a little behind. I read all the books then published, don't recall how many, after the first film was released but before it came on TV, which was where I saw it. Took me 3 or 4 days, iirc. So, not exactly a chore. Unlike reading, say, War and peace which is much harder going!
    War and Peace Is Not Difficult! - I finished it in a week while I was on holiday..

I'm a real slowcoach HP wise - I haven't got the 7th yet - but then I'm rereading The Forsyte Saga again (at work - and yes I will get through all nine books) before I bother to pick the HP series up - besides my Gran has my copy of the first book and I will reread the lot before I get the 7th book.

Buses to and from work are good book reading "me" time I find. (Where is the "Laid back and not caring" smilie?)

Cheers

Whitetiger

Oh go with The Subtle Knife - the whole trilogy is just brilliant - and The Subtle Knife is much better than the first one - much easier to get into!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyr View Post

The first two chapters of the first book are not the best - you have to get to Hogwarts to get into it - try it again

I have both covers - well my husband and I both wanted to read it straight away!!!

And yes - did go to the HP party on Friday night - dressed up as Rita Skeeter and queued to get the book - but then ended up jumping out of the q and going to Tescos at 12:15am to get it!

Commercial Operator

Couldn't get the Subtle knife, floundered from half way through the first book to the end, feeling really quite at sea. But HH Munro is great. Teacher used to read them to us at school when I was ickle.
    I love the Northern lights trilogy - read them a while back, so it's nice to revisit them. A lot more substance to them than Harry (though heavier going)

Mr Monro - I read them as a kid, but haven't touched them since - and I have a hankering to revisit 'em. For sheer use of language, if nothing else, he was amazing.

I love the Northern lights trilogy - read them a while back, so it's nice to revisit them. A lot more substance to them than Harry (though heavier going)

Mr Monro - I read them as a kid, but haven't touched them since - and I have a hankering to revisit 'em. For sheer use of language, if nothing else, he was amazing.
    One kids book series I had to hunt down and re-read was Susan Coopers "The Dark is Rising" series

Over Sea, Under Stone (1965)
    The Dark Is Rising (1973)
    Greenwitch (1974)
    The Grey King (1975)
    Silver on the Tree (1977)

very much based around Arthurian mythos.

Over Sea, Under Stone is equivalent to the the first book of the Harry Potter series and aimed at a much younger audience where as the others are much darker (although not by today's standards!)

Very easy reading from what I remember (was a couple of years ago I tracked them down and re-read them)

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970 View Post
    One kids book series I had to hunt down and re-read was Susan Coopers "The Dark is Rising" series
    Wonderful series. Do NOT watch the trailer for the upcoming film. It will break your heart

Wonderful series. Do NOT watch the trailer for the upcoming film. It will break your heart
    Yeah I've heard they've ripped off the front cover off the book.. thrown away the rest and used that as the plot Why must they always chop and change so much. Surely if a book is good enough to be made into a film then it's good enough as it stands.

I under stand changing some small aspects , shortening etc.. but totally changing the storyline? that's a No-No!!

"Ok we're making lord of the rings.. but instead of a hobbit we've got a WWII marine played by Tom Hanks, Gimli is a tank pilot played by Arnie and Aragon is a general played by R. Lee Ermey!!.. there's no magic, and there's no ring.."

Thread Information