View Poll Results: How do I feel about smoking & dancing?

Voters
181. You may not vote on this poll
  • I love smoky dance floors

4 2.21%
  • I don't mind smoky dance floors

12 6.63%
  • I put up with smoky dance floors

6 3.31%
  • I don't like smoky dance floors

21 11.60%
  • I hate smoky dance floors

104 57.46%
  • I'm making a stand and won't go anywhere near a smoky dance floor

34 18.78%
Page 9 of 34 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Smoking and Dancing don't mix

Commercial Operator
    Originally posted by Funky Si
    What stops people smoking in a church?
    [/url]
    In my church it's a 'No Smoking' sign.

We don't have to activley ban it because people just don't do it. It's like us banning fly fishing in the venue!

Funky Si

www.kordmusic.com
    I think that both fly-fishing and smoking are about equally appropriate in a Ceroc venue. So why were people smoking at Rochester, Maidstone and Bromley the last times I visited? Was it to scare the trout to put off the fly fishermen?

What we need to know now is which Ceroc Kent venues don't have a smoking ban and allow smoking and which venues don't have a smoking ban but just stop people smoking every time they do it

At the moment I'm still not convinced about the 'we don't ban smoking - unless you're smoking' rule that you're talking about. You either have a smoking ban or you don't.

I'm starting to have a suspicion that you've been told that your venue allows smoking but you've taken the initiative and stopped people doing it. I can think of no other reason why you don't simply say that you ban smoking. It must take constant vigilance to stop people when they light up, particularly visitors from Bromley, Maidstone or Rochester. What is the cause of your reluctance to say you are a 'No Smoking' venue?

Originally posted by Andy McGregor
    I'm starting to have a suspicion that you've been told that your venue allows smoking but you've taken the initiative and stopped people doing it. I can think of no other reason why you don't simply say that you ban smoking. It must take constant vigilance to stop people when they light up, particularly visitors from Bromley, Maidstone or Rochester. What is the cause of your reluctance to say you are a 'No Smoking' venue?
    We are a no-smoking venue you muppet, I was just trying to be polite!!

We have a very good and considerate crowd at Canterbury: the regular 'smoking' punters will always inform the new 'smoking' punters that they can only smoke outside the building and not in or around the dance floor. It is therefore never an issue.

There are also NO ashtrays in our venue.

Everybody, both smokers and non-smokers simply agree that the atmosphere is far better without ciggies, so therefore there is no need to stress the point........

Funky Si

www.kordmusic.com

Commercial Operator
    we don't have to 'ban' it in the official sense.

I know what you mean. We only need laws because people don't automatically do what's right.

If there is the occasional environment where people do, treasure it - don't mess with it until someone disturbs the equilibrium. Then be very nasty to them indeed.

Chris

We have a very good and considerate crowd at Canterbury: the regular 'smoking' punters will always inform the new 'smoking' punters that they can only smoke outside the building and not in or around the dance floor. It is therefore never an issue.
    Can I just say, as a non-smoker, that I find this approach extremely non-assertive, and inconsiderate to smokers. What it means is that any new smokers who fail to deduce that the dance hall is non-smoking and light up will be accosted by someone requesting they smoke outside. If I was such a person I'd much rather there was a sign on the front desk so I knew up-front, than be embarrassed by being pulled up for my "inconsideration".

Ah Graham, glad you're there. Thought of you this morning on way into work; being pedantic (nothing to do with this thread I know), but you'd have hated the new sign on the cafe next to the football ground "Breakfast, Lunch & Diner ". If you ever do come up to stay with me I'm going to have to take you in there!!! How would you cope passing a sign like that every morning on your way into work? I think you'd have to pay to have it altered!

Commercial Operator
    Originally posted by Graham
    Can I just say, as a non-smoker, that I find this approach extremely non-assertive, and inconsiderate to smokers. What it means is that any new smokers who fail to deduce that the dance hall is non-smoking and light up will be accosted by someone requesting they smoke outside. If I was such a person I'd much rather there was a sign on the front desk so I knew up-front, than be embarrassed by being pulled up for my "inconsideration".
    This is exactly my thinking. The individual approach makes new smokers wrong. The don't know about the 'ban' until they innocently light up. Then they get someone telling them they shouldn't do it. No matter how nicely they're told the smoker is still in the wrong through no fault of their own. I wouldn't like it and I'm sure some inconsiderate smokers could get quite annoyed or upset by this treatment.

Come on Funky Si let them know exactly what's going on before you have to tell them they're wrong. What you're doing at the moment is the equivalent of deciding on a speed limit, not putting up signs and then stopping people to tell them when they go over the limit. Wouldn't a simple sign on the desk be simpler? What's stopping you

Originally posted by Graham
    Oh my gawd!!!

Final word: CANTERBURY IS A NO-SMOKING VENUE. WE DO NOT HAVE ASHTRAYS OR INDEED SMOKING ANYWHERE ON OR NEAR THE DANCE FLOOR, OR INDEED IN THE SAME ROOM AS THE DANCE FLOOR.

WE HAVE HEAVILY ARMED SECURITY READY TO 'BRING DOWN' IN A HAIL OF GUNFIRE ANYONE WHO LIGHTS UP. WE ALSO HAVE 'THOUGHT POLICE' WHO ACTUALLY DETECT PEOPLE WHO ARE THINKING ABOUT SMOKING BEFORE THEY LIGHT UP AND AGAIN, THE ARMED GUARDS DISPOSE OF THESE CRIMINALS SWIFTLY AND WITHOUT PREJUDICE. WE ARE ALSO CURRENTLY DEVELOPING A 'SWIFT RESPONSE UNIT' (SRU) TO INTERCEPT ANY PEOPLE TRAVELLING TO CANTERBURY FOR THE FIRST TIME. THESE UNITS WILL BE LOCATED ON BOTH THE M20 & M2. THEY WILL BE EQUIPPED WITH 'OLFACTORY SENSOR UNITS' WHICH WILL DETECT THE SMELL OF TOBACCO FROM A TRAVELLING CAR FROM ANYWHERE UP TO 16 MILES AWAY, AND THUS PROPEL THE S.R.U.'S INTO ACTION.

WE HOPE TO HAVE A SMALL 'ANTI-SMOKE' NAVY SOON TO DEFEND OUR PORTS, BUT IN THE MEANTIME WE MAKE DO WITH OUR 'BALLISTIC ANTI-LIGHTINGUP LONGRANGE LETHAL SHOTS' (OR B.A.L.L.S. TO YOU.)

Funky Si (General, Canterbury Division))

www.kordmusic.com

I shall try a sign though.........

Funky Si (General, Canterbury Panzer Division) I got a promotion

www.kordmusic.com

Meglio del Cioccolato Demo
    Oh my gawd!!!

Final word: CANTERBURY IS A NO-SMOKING VENUE. WE DO NOT HAVE ASHTRAYS OR INDEED SMOKING ANYWHERE ON OR NEAR THE DANCE FLOOR, OR INDEED IN THE SAME ROOM AS THE DANCE FLOOR.

WE HAVE HEAVILY ARMED SECURITY READY TO 'BRING DOWN' IN A HAIL OF GUNFIRE ANYONE WHO LIGHTS UP. WE ALSO HAVE 'THOUGHT POLICE' WHO ACTUALLY DETECT PEOPLE WHO ARE THINKING ABOUT SMOKING BEFORE THEY LIGHT UP AND AGAIN, THE ARMED GUARDS DISPOSE OF THESE CRIMINALS SWIFTLY AND WITHOUT PREJUDICE. WE ARE ALSO CURRENTLY DEVELOPING A 'SWIFT RESPONSE UNIT' (SRU) TO INTERCEPT ANY PEOPLE TRAVELLING TO CANTERBURY FOR THE FIRST TIME. THESE UNITS WILL BE LOCATED ON BOTH THE M20 & M2. THEY WILL BE EQUIPPED WITH 'OLFACTORY SENSOR UNITS' WHICH WILL DETECT THE SMELL OF TOBACCO FROM A TRAVELLING CAR FROM ANYWHERE UP TO 16 MILES AWAY, AND THUS PROPEL THE S.R.U.'S INTO ACTION.

WE HOPE TO HAVE A SMALL 'ANTI-SMOKE' NAVY SOON TO DEFEND OUR PORTS, BUT IN THE MEANTIME WE MAKE DO WITH OUR 'BALLISTIC ANTI-LIGHTINGUP LONGRANGE LETHAL SHOTS' (OR B.A.L.L.S. TO YOU.)

Funky Si (General, Canterbury Division))

www.kordmusic.com

Versailles (yeah, in the chateau itself !)
    See that's the way to get smokers to stop !!! Get them laughing so hard they can't light up cos they have fallen off their chair and hit their head very hard on the floor !!!!

Or maybe the taxis could just kiss them every time they want to light up

Wxxx

Hugs to all smokers and pedantic madpeople out there !!!!

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    So you do, albeit unofficially. have a smoking ban - even if you dont want to call it a ban. A simple sign at the front desk is all we ask, then everybody is happy!!
    After all, although the ashtrays missing may be a bit of a hint they won't notice till theyre in - a sign at the desk means they can ask where they can smoke as they pay.

Why were you so reticent about using the word BAN? Its not a swear word in this country BAN BAN BAN, BAN.

BAN! B-b-b-b-b-b-b-bB-BBBBAN

Commercial Operator
    Originally posted by Wendy
    Or maybe the taxis could just kiss them every time they want to light up
    Wxxx

Oooohhh quick ......gizza fag...

Versailles (yeah, in the chateau itself !)
    Never noticed you needing a prop to get a taxi dancer to kiss you before DD!!!

Wx

!!!!!!

Commercial Operator
    Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
    So you do, albeit unofficially. have a smoking ban - even if you dont want to call it a ban. A simple sign at the front desk is all we ask, then everybody is happy!!
    After all, although the ashtrays missing may be a bit of a hint they won't notice till theyre in - a sign at the desk means they can ask where they can smoke as they pay.

Why were you so reticent about using the word BAN? Its not a swear word in this country BAN BAN BAN, BAN.

BAN! B-b-b-b-b-b-b-bB-BBBBAN
    I'm with you DS. I don't think I'm being a pedant - and just because people who disagree with me say I am doesn't make it so.

What I'm doing is the same as you. I'm asking venues to ban smoking and I won't stop asking until they stop smoking. After all, I would be weak if I just said to myself, I've asked a few times, people have said 'no' I'll stop asking. THIS IS TOO IMPORTANT .

It seems that Canterbury is having trouble 'coming out' as a no smoking venue. And I'm having trouble extracting the real reason behind that reluctance to commit to the cause.

But Canterbury Ceroc reluctance is not the real problem and we have been side-tracked. Canterbury is obviously a no smoking venue and as such we need not concern ourselves with it - apart from going dancing there because we can expect nice fresh air to dance in - oh, and the occasional fly fisherman

We need to get back to our 5 year mission to boldly go into unexplored venues and take the no smoking message far and wide

I'm a bit busy today so I'll sleep on it and say more tomorrow.

Meglio del Cioccolato Demo
    I'm with you DS. I don't think I'm being a pedant - and just because people who disagree with me say I am doesn't make it so.
    Well, it all depends on how many people say so. I think a good sample would be enough!

Originally posted by azande
    Well, it all depends on how many people say so. I think a good sample would be enough!
    Graham - please provide the statistics!

Commercial Operator
    Originally posted by azande
    I think debate is all about argument and introducing new facts or data to change people's perception. It is not name calling

What I'm doing is repeating the same thing until the message has got across. The message is 'Dancing and Smoking Don't Mix'. Some people haven't got the message so I'm still saying it. It's a bit like TV advertising, it has to be repeated over and over again before it has the desired impact

What I'm not saying is this thread is 'Give up smoking'. That would be nice too but it's entirely your business as a smoker to do that. I just wish my smoking friends would give up so I could enjoy their company for longer and reduce the number of times I have to visit them in hospital

Some people haven't got the message so I'm still saying it. It's a bit like TV advertising, it has to be repeated over and over again before it has the desired impact
    Hmm...

What about the ads that start to drive you so crazy by the 3rd or 4th time you see/hear them that you hit the mute button, turn to another channel or switch off completely?

Chris

Commercial Operator
    Originally posted by ChrisA
    Hmm...

What about the ads that start to drive you so crazy by the 3rd or 4th time you see/hear them that you hit the mute button, turn to another channel or switch off completely?

Chris
    Personally speaking I hardly see any TV at all. I'm either out dancing, doing my Civic duties or something else that gets me off the sofa. But I do know that TV advertising works when it is repeated. So here goes;

Don't go to a venue where there is smoking because you are putting your health at risk by breathing cigarette smoke. If your favourite venue allows smoking let them know you don't like it.

Thread Information